Summary of our Voyager Cruise as a solo traveler.

clarky

This was a cruise for my mother's 80th Birthday.  I left my husband at home so it was just the two of us.  I'm in my 50's and cruise with my husband having many nights on Seabourn and Silverseas and have done 6 previous Regent cruises (Navigator and Mariner).  We usually take longer cruises not less than 14 days and more often B2Bs. This cruise was an 11 day cruise.  I give you his information so that you can interpret my views with an understanding of where I'm coming from. 

After our last Regent cruise Shanghai to Singapore on the Mariner in April I was not sure I had made the right choice in selecting the Voyager for this special celebration.  We had several problems on our last Mariner cruise (the weather was not warm and the dinning venues were crowded.  There were lines of people waiting for food to be replenished at the buffet and the food was mediocre).  There were many more problems on that cruise and this was acknowledged by the HD.  So it was with this last experience foremost in my mind that I boarded the Explorer.

On arrival in our suite we had an invitation to the singles get together which we attended.  It was a lovely surprise to see Marla (social hostess) as we last sailed with her on the Mariner.  I sailed with Marla on Seabourn in 2004 and for many years before she moved to Regent.  It was like meeting an old friend again.  I have never sailed solo before so I can't comment on the  other lines I have sailed and how they treat their single passengers but I can say that Regent did an outstanding job on this cruise. I would not hesitate to sail Regent as a solo cruiser and can only give a glowing review of how they embrace solo passengers.  Marla hosted a table in the lounge every evening and for those singles that did not have a dinner reservation or a date with new friends Marla always hosted a table for dinner.  On this cruise I found the other guests to be very friendly and we opted to share tables in the Compass Rose and the two specialty restaurants.  We had delightful dinning experiences in all those venues.  Unlike the last Mariner cruise the food was wonderful, the wine was excellent and the entertainment was good.

This was an intensive port itinerary and we were appreciative of the morning excursions and being able to rest in the afternoon.  I never found the pool deck to be overly crowded and the drink service on the pool deck was good.  I have previously done comparisons of Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent and each of these cruise lines has elements they excel in.  What I love about Regents are the excellent wines they offer, the casual atmosphere on board and the all inclusive experience. They also do the best fish of any line I have been on and I love seafood. They do the best hamburgers I have had at sea and their shore excursions and how they handle them from the ship are excellent. I now also love the way they cater for and value their solo travelers. I know that Silverseas and Seabourn do offer services for solo passengers but I can't comment on that as I have no experience with them being a solo traveler.  Being a larger ship the shows done by the Regents singers and dancers was much better than on the other two Regent ships I have cruised on.

I will sail Seabourn again in February for 39 days and have just done Silverseas in June and Regent Mariner in April.  I really liked the Voyager.  We had a standard balcony  suite on deck 7 and it was well thought out design and roomy.  We have sailed the Mariner in a Seven Seas suite twice and I loved that suite.  The  balcony suites on Silverseas and Seabourn are also excellent.  I will say that Regent is priced far more reasonably than Seabourn if you would like to sail in a Penthouse or any of the other suites.  Silverseas is a little better than Seabourn in that regard but Regent wins hands down for me in the pricing of the upper suites.  All in all the explorer won me back to Regent although I would be hesitant to sail on the Mariner again. We look for an itinerary we like and depending on which cruise line offers the itinerary we like we are happy to sail on Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent.  I have not sailed Crystal because until recently the had set setting times for dinner.  I know this has changed but I do like smaller ships in fact the Voyager is the largest ship I have sailed on.  I know a regular regents cc poster has just sailed Crystal and really enjoyed the experience.  Maybe in the future we will try crystal.

• Like 1

I was on the Voyager Athens to Rome.  I have gained so much knowledge from these boards that I thought that posting this review as a solo traveler may help others feel assured that as a solo Regent really does a great job.

• Like 1