Weather related changes in the North Atlantic part 3

kcpvwill

Hello again from Viking Sea on Into the Wake of the Vikings 

The noon announcement from the captain today said that the sailing last night had been worse than predicted but that things should improve this afternoon and evening.  However for the next port,  L’anse aux Meadows, (a tender stop) he has been advised that tendering would not be feasible and so we are going on to St. Anthony which is within a fjord inlet and much more sheltered for tendering.  We will then be bussed to L’anse aux Meadows for our excursions.  

Tendering to Qatorqok was very smooth and efficient yesterday and we had glorious weather.  Nice place and local school children acted as helpers during our self-guided walk.  Local Greenlander told us about the ‘Love Seat’ and took photos with our camera.  He explained the seat, do take a look, I won’t spoil the story!  

That's fairly normal.  We went to St. Anthony last year and did the bus trip.  The guides were very nice.  There's nothing at all really at L'Anse aux Meadows anyways.  St. Anthony is small, but at least you can walk around if you like.

Good luck at L'Anse aux Meadows.  It was very windy and chilly last year at this time (almost exactly a year.)

I am following the Viking Sea adventures with interest!  We will be boarding in Montreal on the 26th - really looking forward to it!  We were on the Sea for our West Indies Cruise last year, and we have the same cabin for the Eastern Seaboard,  It will be a homecoming 😄

I think once we get beyond Gaspe and head down to Portland, we are in for some rough seas with all the hurricanes tracking north.  I don't think we'll run into a storm, but I suspect we will be bouncing around.  I don't get sea sick, but I do get black and blue from bouncing off walls 😄

Have a safe journey to Montreal!  Fair winds and following seas!

• Haha 1

Arrived at St. Anthony a bit late so excursions delayed.  But what lovely sunny weather awaited us - quite breezy but not cold or wet.  Scenic drive to L’Anse aux Meadow no sign of a mousse on our bus, but another bus spotted a mousse and 5 dolphins on the drive.  The glorious weather really enhanced the site and it was a pleasure to explore.  We even managed to find a geocache! 

The Viking excursions manager had a job on his hands rustling up enough busses to get us all to L’Anse aux Meadow.  Most of them were yellow school busses.  

When we arrived back the swell had increased dramatically and we bobbed around for a good while in the bay before getting back onboard.  We arrived back at 4.40pm (last tender was suppose to be 3.30pm. ) It is now 5.50pm and there are still at least 3 tender boats in the bay having problems. Still the captain has promised to wait for all! 

The altered schedule was an excellent decision as the seas off L’Anse aux Meadow were worse than the present area.  

Just had an announcement from the captain that the delay is also because of a medical evacuation ( I don’t think weather related) and we are awaiting the return of the final tender boat from that.  

The tender boat crews have been tremendous.  

7 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

Arrived at St. Anthony a bit late so excursions delayed.  But what lovely sunny weather awaited us - quite breezy but not cold or wet.  Scenic drive to L’Anse aux Meadow no sign of a mousse on our bus, but another bus spotted a mousse and 5 dolphins on the drive.  The glorious weather really enhanced the site and it was a pleasure to explore.  We even managed to find a geocache! 

The Viking excursions manager had a job on his hands rustling up enough busses to get us all to L’Anse aux Meadow.  Most of them were yellow school busses.  

When we arrived back the swell had increased dramatically and we bobbed around for a good while in the bay before getting back onboard.  We arrived back at 4.40pm (last tender was suppose to be 3.30pm. ) It is now 5.50pm and there are still at least 3 tender boats in the bay having problems. Still the captain has promised to wait for all! 

The altered schedule was an excellent decision as the seas off L’Anse aux Meadow were worse than the present area.  

Just had an announcement from the captain that the delay is also because of a medical evacuation ( I don’t think weather related) and we are awaiting the return of the final tender boat from that.  

The tender boat crews have been tremendous.  

Thanks for the continuing updates! For those of us behind you on the Sun, you appear to be ‘breaking trail’, and it’s very useful to know. Continued enjoyable travels 🥌

27 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Thanks for the continuing updates! For those of us behind you on the Sun, you appear to be ‘breaking trail’, and it’s very useful to know. Continued enjoyable travels 🥌

I have been following this blog for “previews of coming attractions”!