New York Disembarkation - Earliest Flight Times?

mkcruise

We are booked on the Apr 1-16, 2020 cruise from Miami to New York, with a scheduled arrival time of 7:00 a.m. Our previous port is Charleston, so I assume we clear customs there? In any event, we are making our own flight arrangements, and there are options from any 3 of the New York area airports (LGA, EWR & JFK). Any thoughts or experiences on what should be the earliest flight time out (domestic)? I appreciate that the stress varies with the time of departure, but I am curious as to what would work? Thanks.

We disembarked in New York at the beginning of this month.  We flew out of LGA and used the Regents transfer which was great  except . . . . . .the majority of the bus needed Terminal A.  The bus first stopped at Terminal D and told the Delta people to get off.  The Delta people said that they needed Terminal C, but the bus driver said this was where they needed to get off, so they did and got their luggage and headed to the Terminal C.  the bus took off and did a complete circle and ended up at Terminal D again.  He told all of us that we needed to get off and get a shuttle to Terminal A, that his bus was too tall to get there.  No one got off and said they would not get off until they got to Terminal A.  Finally the bus driver got on and started driving and I saw signs directing the way to Terminal A.  We were then delivered to Terminal A and we got off.  There was a lot of construction going on at LGA (a lot).  Understand where you need to go so if you are told to get off someplace, you know where you are.

40 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

We disembarked in New York at the beginning of this month.  We flew out of LGA and used the Regents transfer which was great  except . . . . . .the majority of the bus needed Terminal A.  The bus first stopped at Terminal D and told the Delta people to get off.  The Delta people said that they needed Terminal C, but the bus driver said this was where they needed to get off, so they did and got their luggage and headed to the Terminal C.  the bus took off and did a complete circle and ended up at Terminal D again.  He told all of us that we needed to get off and get a shuttle to Terminal A, that his bus was too tall to get there.  No one got off and said they would not get off until they got to Terminal A.  Finally the bus driver got on and started driving and I saw signs directing the way to Terminal A.  We were then delivered to Terminal A and we got off.  There was a lot of construction going on at LGA (a lot).  Understand where you need to go so if you are told to get off someplace, you know where you are.

That is awful!

I would go with a flight at around 1:00 PM as others have said to be on the safe side.  

Could you make an earlier flight?  Probably but this is New York City and you just never know between traffic, road closures due to a range of events and any slowdowns at the airports whether due to a security alert or some other issue.

Closest airport is Laguardia about 16  miles from the cruise ship terminal, followed by Newark 17.5 miles and JFK 26 miles.

Keith

15 hours ago, ChappChapp said:

Is this a week day or weekend? Big difference in traffic . LGA has a lot of construction as a previous poster noted. We disembarked last month on a Sunday morning. Under 30 minutes to JFK. I  would still leave plenty of time.

Good thought about day of week and also about still leaving plenty of time.  I agree with both.

Before responding I looked up to see  the day of week and if there were any holidays.  OP noted cruise ends April 16 which I determined  is a Thursday.

One thing about NYC which is true of some cities is every experience can be different when it comes to traffic even same day and same hour.  If roads are closed due to demonstrations, dignitaries in the city that can play havoc with traffic along with accidents and breakdowns.  This is one of several reasons I go with a later flight if flying out that day to be on the safe side and why I agree with you to leave plenty of time.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...