free beverages - water, tea, lemonade?

ocntscha

Hi.  I'm considering taking an MSC Caribbean cruise out of Miami.  I've taken numerous cruises on 4 other lines and we've never paid for any beverages (we don't drink alcohol).  Water, coffee, tea, lemonade, milk, and more have always been readily available in the buffets and restaurants at no additional charge.  Is that how it is on MSC as well?  I'm not talking about sparkling water,  mineral water, or bottled water.  I'm talking about a glass with some ice and plain old tap water in it.  Also, pretty much every cruise line will sell you gourmet coffee but there's generally always a poor to mediocre brew available for free in the buffets and restaurants that I can get by with.  Does MSC have free coffee available?   Thank you in advance..

I don't know if all ships carry the same beverages, but on MSC Armonia, they have the typical beverages available for free:  brewed coffee (I personally did not like it), various tea bags for hot tea;  ice tea, lemonade, "flavored sweetened water" (tropical mango and strawberry kiwi) from a beverage dispenser and of course water were available 24 hours.  At breakfast, they add "orange juice" (sometimes OK, most of the time weak sweetened watery) to the dispenser;  whole milk, fat free milk and chocolate milk in 8oz cartons.  In the MDR, they had water, ice tea, hot tea, and coffee available at no charge.  I believe that was pretty much it for free.

• Like 1

Dns20, welcome to CC and MSC posts. Great to have you.

ocntscha, DNS20 is spot on. Filter coffee is available at all times at the lido buffet, along with hot water and a selection of tea packets.  Of course, sugar, milk, etc.  Same at MDR. 

It will not be an unusual request on a Caribbean cruise to ask for a brewed coffee after a meal in the MDR. 

Enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, ocntscha said:

Does MSC have free coffee available?   Thank you in advance..

At least this can be answered easily. Yes, free coffee is available always at some stations in the buffet area. It is OK, nor worse than other cruise lines, not much better.

Water is a long time topic here :)
Water is free for all at the stations in the Buffet restaurants. Most nationalities have to pay in the Main Dining Room on all cruises. For some unknown reason, the Irish get it free:

https://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/MSC/Water-Tea-Coffee-Guests.aspx
My educated guess: This is because MSCs favourite passenger, @Beamafar, is from Ireland. 

I heard that on cruises out of Miami it is free also for US pax, others definitely know this better. 

Mainland Chinese passengers get free hot water.

Maybe next time I should ask to be placed on a table with Irish guests ;)

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

For some unknown reason, the Irish get it free:

My educated guess: This is because MSCs favourite passenger, @Beamafar, is from Ireland. 

Maybe next time I should ask to be placed on a table with Irish guests 😉

P ... you gave me such a laugh - thank you!  😂😂😂  We Irish get it because we're so loved everywhere  🙄  And you would be more than welcome to sit at our table any time!  😘

Just to clarify ... the Brits get it free, too.

• Are we talking about bottled water or tap water being free or not in the MDR?  I was on a Caribbean cruise and they automatically poured tap water from a pitcher unless you tell them no. I don't think they knew our nationality.....
  • BTW, they also had packets of hot chocolate, instant Nescafe and decaf in the Lido buffet;  hot and cold milk, liquid Coffemate dispensers (sweetened Original, Hazelnut, and French Vanilla)

39 minutes ago, dns20 said:

Are we talking about bottled water or tap water being free or not in the MDR?  I was on a Caribbean cruise and they automatically poured tap water from a pitcher unless you tell them no. I don't think they knew our nationality.....

Tap water. And they know your nationality very well. But on cruises where almost all passengers are non-eligible for free water (for example Carribean starting from Havana), the eligible passengers will just get bottled water unlimited for free. It´s like a free bottled water package on your cruise card. 

The tap water pitchers only exist on that Miami-based MSC cruises, at least I have never seen it anywhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

P ... you gave me such a laugh - thank you!  😂😂😂  We Irish get it because we're so loved everywhere  🙄  And you would be more than welcome to sit at our table any time!  😘

Can I pass my kid off as Irish since he is a red head with milky white skin? Maybe, he'll get some free water. :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Tap water. And they know your nationality very well. But on cruises where almost all passengers are non-eligible for free water (for example Carribean starting from Havana), the eligible passengers will just get bottled water unlimited for free. It´s like a free bottled water package on your cruise card. 

The tap water pitchers only exist on that Miami-based MSC cruises, at least I have never seen it anywhere. 

This is correct! Last year on my Northern Europe cruise on the Magnifica.

We got a litter of bottled water every night in the MDR,  They told us it was free!

Wow, sounds like MSC has taken something as simple as a glass of water way beyond any level of complexity I would of thought possible.  Thank you to everyone who replied.  Greatly appreciated.  The cruise I'm interested in leaves out of Miami so it sounds like we'd definitely be able to drink from a pitcher of tap water in the dining rooms at no charge which suits me just fine.  Also, its nice to know that something passing for coffee is available for free as well.

• Like 1