OSJ - good coffee place and breakfast

Djsmrs

We will be in SJ in December for a very quick pit stop from 7 - 1...  my friend and I are planning to get off early and go wander around.  I'm keen to try a good coffee place (I know most beans now come from off-island) and a delicious breakfast .... something with a local flair.  Suggestions?  I think I read something about Chocobar that seemed promising.  Chocolate = good.  Coffee = good... and since it'll be 5:00 somewhere, maybe a nice mojito?  Doesn't all have to be at the same location as we are keen to wander.

If you head up toward El Morro fort, in the courtyard of the Museo Americas is Café Ruiz. They use beans from the southern part of the island.  Been doing this since forever. Family owned. Probably one of the better coffees you'll have on your cruise, IMO.

Along Calle San Francisco, a short walk from the piers, you can try some more traditional menu items like mallorcas at Caficultura, La Bomenera, or Café Mallorca. And chocolate lovers enjoy  Chocobar Cortes. 

Café Puerto Rico  in the Plaza Colon, near the piers, is also a good choice.

So no reason to have to suffer with bad coffee while in OSJ.

• Like 1

Cuatro Sombras in OSJ is also pretty amazing. They're a micro-roaster a few blocks from Chocobar.  I usually doctor my coffee with milk/sugar... but I drank theirs straight-up.  

Bonus: They have amazing breakfast sandwiches too (the ham & cheese croissant with guava butter is my go-to)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

If you head up toward El Morro fort, in the courtyard of the Museo Americas is Café Ruiz. They use beans from the southern part of the island.  Been doing this since forever. Family owned. Probably one of the better coffees you'll have on your cruise, IMO.

Along Calle San Francisco, a short walk from the piers, you can try some more traditional menu items like mallorcas at Caficultura, La Bomenera, or Café Mallorca. And chocolate lovers enjoy  Chocobar Cortes. 

Café Puerto Rico  in the Plaza Colon, near the piers, is also a good choice.

So no reason to have to suffer with bad coffee while in OSJ.

Agree...my favorites on pre-cruise mornings are La Bombonera, Cafe Mallorca and newest favorite ChocoBar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skittlesdfw said:

Cuatro Sombras in OSJ is also pretty amazing. They're a micro-roaster a few blocks from Chocobar.  I usually doctor my coffee with milk/sugar... but I drank theirs straight-up.  

Bonus: They have amazing breakfast sandwiches too (the ham & cheese croissant with guava butter is my go-to)

Haven't heard of that place, but looked it up.  Coffee is grown in Yauco.  Peaberry beans.  DJSMRS, May be a place to scope out.  You can order the coffee on line and see if you like it. But looks like they are out of everything for shipping :classic_ohmy:  Wonder if they are still open?

Map shows it to be on the corner of Rencinto sur and Calle Tanica, just up from Muelle #1 and a street you'll want to walk up to get to Calle San Francisco or the forts.

https://cuatrosombras.com/pages/our-coffee

• Like 1