Delta Bankruptcy

amy2313

I just finished booking another cruise for March and need to book airfare and was going to book thru Delta but has anyone heard any more about the bankruptcy? Is it safe to book airfare for March through Delta??

Which other bankrupt airline would you prefer ? Sorry.

Where would you be flying from/to ?

Flying from NY to Ft. Lauderdale

Have you heard anything about it - how it is doing. As you can tell they obviously have the best price and i'm really concerned about booking through them with this bankruptcy thing hanging over it. I don;t have the extra money to pay for another airline but don't want to lose out if something were to happen with Delta by March 9.

You have nothing at all to worry about. Airlines operate in bankruptcy for years, and many of them have, and will continue to do so. You can book Delta with as much confidence as any other airline. You will have no problem!

Thank you so much for the reassurance - guess I just needed to hear someone else's opinion that it would be ok!

Southwest, JetBlue and AirTran are all in good financial shape and making a profit. JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest ranked for best service for 2004 and in that order. Delta ranked 11th. AirTran was also ranked by the DOT as best in baggage handling of all the domestic airlines. AirTran and JetBlue fly the youngest fleet of planes of all. As these airlines are increasing fleet size and service areas, the older lines are cutting back.

Tons of flights from NY/NJ to FLL/MIA area.

There is added risk buying a ticket from an airline in bankruptcy. Having said that, United Airlines has been operating in bankruptcy since Dec 2002. Delta and Northwest filed on the same day and both are still flying. Northwest may be going on strike next month.

I wouldn't worry about it. I would fly in a day early (I would anyway) and not plan anything significant the day I returned.

Of course, there is insurance available for some things, but once an airline is in bankruptcy would be tough.

Depending on when you are flying the fares can vary wildly. I recently found this site www.FareFox.com and booked NY to Tampa over spring break for less than my hubby paid in January!

I agree with the other posters about the bankruptcy thing...many other lines are also in bankruptcy - even if Delta stopped flying other airlines would have to honor your tickets (albeit on stand-by status, perhaps).

Smooth skies and seas to you and yours!

event.png

I personally would look into another airline. We (in Canada) had an airline that went under last year - Jetsgo - and all of their passengers were stranded, and most had to pay for another flight. However, Delta has be around a lot longer than Jetsgo and is a much stronger company than they ever were so I guess its not a fair compairson.

We are taking Delta out and back.. BE WARNED our flights have been changed 3 x's since the middle of Dec. and we fly in Feb. Be sure to be flexable ,fly a day earlier, be sure people babysiting kids,dogs what ever are flexable too and have your hotel set up. Some flights they offered got us there the next day too close to sailing and we were lucky to get time off work once the changes kept coming down the pike, our last change in flights is 8 hours different and done just this past week ,we fly out in 2 weeks. Hope this helps but we did save about 480.00 on our air fare going with Delta.

I just booked a round trip flight on Delta for our cruise in Nov of 2006 on the Navigator of the Seas. Nothing like planning ahead:p! The rate from JFK to MIA was great & could not pass it up. I have pleanty of room if they decide to change times on me as we are flying in the day before & leaving the evening the day the ship returns. I have always made the return flights later on in the afternoon as anything can happen upon return. Our last cruise in August docked at 11am but would not let anyone off the ship until 1pm even though customs had checked us the day before.

We are flying Delta from NY to FLL in April. We were worried more about the Pilot strike that loomed over them for awhile, but since that has settled, everything is good. Many airlines have declared bankruptcy and continue their service after that, they just do alot of restructuring. And with that, they will change and consolidate flights often,all of them do it, not just Delta. I got a great deal with Delta, and am glad I booked with them.If you can get a good deal on tickets, go ahead & book them, they are fine.:) Jaxson

As my travel agent brought to my attention. Delta has not filed for bankruptcy. They have filed for protection from their creditors. I made sure this was a fact in order that the insurance I purchased would protect the booking I made for business class to Europe.

I personally would look into another airline. We (in Canada) had an airline that went under last year - Jetsgo - and all of their passengers were stranded, and most had to pay for another flight. However, Delta has be around a lot longer than Jetsgo and is a much stronger company than they ever were so I guess its not a fair compairson.

The laws in the U.S. must be different than in Canada with regards to dealing with airlines that have gone under.

We are taking Delta out and back.. BE WARNED our flights have been changed 3 x's since the middle of Dec. and we fly in Feb. Be sure to be flexable ,fly a day earlier, be sure people babysiting kids,dogs what ever are flexable too and have your hotel set up. Some flights they offered got us there the next day too close to sailing and we were lucky to get time off work once the changes kept coming down the pike, our last change in flights is 8 hours different and done just this past week ,we fly out in 2 weeks.

I've had this happen on other airlines as well, especially American. This isn't just a Delta airlines thing.

Chapter 11 is in fact, bankruptcy AND protection from creditors during restructuring. It is only one form of bankruptcy. Chapter 7 is liquidation of assets. That's why it's overseen by the bankruptcy judge. Effect Nov 2005, that protection is only for 18 months to prevent those debtors from manipulating the statue indefinately for those filing after Nov 1st. That's why Northwest and Delta filed just before the new law went into effect. Some of those changes also effect personal filings. Delta has such a large debt load (about 28 BILLION) there is some doubt that they will survive long term, in their present form.

Culsy. Not sure when you bght your tickets and insurance, but I suggest you contact your insurance carrier since, Delta and Northwest are in bankruptcy, regardless what your travel agent thinks.

[quote name=hdawson

Cusyl. Not sure when you bought your tickets and insurance, but I suggest you contact your insurance carrier since, Delta and Northwest are in bankruptcy, regardless what your travel agent thinks.[/quote]

I know, I went round and round on them with it because I didn't want to take the chance of losing my $5,000, but they called the insurance company and they assured us that it would be covered.

The policy reads:

"The filing of bankruptcy and complete cessation of service by your travel supplier provided you purchase this plan within 14 days of your initial trip deposit and that the bankruptcy filing occurs more than 15 days after full payment and acceptance of your enrollment by Us. In the event of bankruptcy we reserve the right to substitute a trip of similar value in lieu of cash payment"

The travel agent sent me this:

"The airlines are currently under bankruptcy protection and still operating. Bankruptcy = complete cessation of service.

I did verify this with the insurance agency direct"

I argued the point with them for a long time, I hope they don't go out, or at least some other airline will take them over. If I lose my $5,000 the travel agent better have some good insurance.

Does anyone have any reason to believe that Delta will stop flying anytime soon? We are scheduled to fly Delta and Air France (combination) this summer to Barcelona and back from Venice. I know many airlines continue to fly under Chapter 11 for months and maybe even years. However, I have read that Delta's debt load is significantly higher than any of the other airlines.

I understand that no one has a crystal ball, but am wondering if anyone has any reason to believe they could cease operations anytime soon with little or no notification?

Nancy

KatieBeth. There is only a very remote chance that Delta would cease operations in the next year or two. Most likely they will cut some loosing or unprofitable flights and maybe reduce the fleet size. A merger with another airline is a possibility as is the chance that they will concentrate of international business and phase out domestic service over time.

Archived