Shore Excursion Recommendations for Family with Teenager

KKS82

Looking for some excursion recommendations for our family of (3) including our 16 year old daughter. This will be her and my husbands first trip to Belize. I went several years ago and did the Horseback Riding which was cool - but my daughter is allergic to horses so definitely out. I thought the cave tubing sounded interesting, but it has a lot of mixed reviews. Zip Lines are also out of the question - my husband doesn't do heights. We are cruising with Carnival in February. Thoughts on which of the Ruins excursions is the best value?

The cave tubing is really cool.  I don't get why some people hate it.

The Mayan ruins are AMAZING in Belize.  I highly recommend the Lamanai all day trip (6 hours) with boat and lunch included.  We just did it a few weeks ago with our 31 yr old son, who is a history nerd just like his parents.  We all loved it.  We even had a huge group of howler monkeys at the ruins.  It was awesome but a long day and can feel a bit rushed to get everything in. We only had an hour after we returned to get on a ferry back to ship.  Worth it just warning you.

20190918_114851-XL.jpg

I would  second a ruins excursion if cave tubing is of no interest. 

Highly suggest  a ship excursion to Lamanai. But there's  also a great site at Xunantunich. Ship excursion also recommended.  Both these sites are far a way from the port.

Closer, but minor in significance, is Altun Ha. You can do a private  excursion  there or one with a trip along the River Wallace. 

Lots of information on all 3 on these boards. 

We did the Altun Ha trip. We really enjoyed it for a couple of reasons.  It was the first time to Belize for us so we wanted to see what Belize looked like and the bus trip was perfect for that.  It was a nice ride to the site and I got to gaze out the bus window and see the countries landscape.  Once there, it was a guided tour and we did get to climb up on the ruins.  That was an experience to remember.  I can't recall how long the entire trip was but perfect for what we wanted to do.  We had time after the tour to walk around outside of the port area.

• 1 month later...

We did Altun Ha with King David and had an awesome time! Our group was 7 adults and 5 of them were very hard to impress twenty-somethings. They can't stop talking about how great of a time they had. They laugh, because they learned stuff and had fun.

He can also do Lamanai or put together a tour designed by you. Contact David to design your family's perfect day. You can find him on facebook https://www.facebook.com/kingdavidbelizetours  or his website https://www.altournativebelizeservices.com/. He is a great guy and when we finally get back to Belize, we will definitely be using his services again!

kingdavidpointing.jpg

king-david-paying-humage.jpg