Newbie - When to book Viking Homelands 2021 ?

Flashman181

Hi

Never cruised before - except P&O Oriana in 1970:) - so was interested in how far out you start to book to have best chance of getting a preferred cabin? Looking at 2021 and maybe not until September that year for Vikings Homelands cruise. I see the "Free Fly Companion" is already limited availability but I am use to flights only where you cant book until less than a year out. Looking at a Penthouse Verandah and see they are scattered over a few decks. Will start some research now on "best rooms" and then work out when need to book after advice received

Thanks

Dave

That is a very popular itinerary.  My suggestion would be to book as soon as you have made a decision on sail date and cabin category.  This is assuming that those sailings are available for booking (I didn't look).  We did that cruise earlier this year and booked nearly a year out and we could only book a Penthouse Veranda as a guarantee (no cabin assigned but assured we would get at least that category) for the sail date we wanted.

It is a long time, but if you’re in the U.S., you should be able to take advantage of the recent promotion (September bookings only, as I understand it), to defer final payment until six months before sail date.  Viking is (rightly, in my view) extremely popular, and cruises do book really far out, so I second ropomo’s advice to book as soon as you’ve settled on a cabin.  And inquire about the six-months-final-payment promotion.  Or have your TA inquire on your behalf.

I booked for April, 2021 this past April, over two years out. It is a destination I really want to see on an itinerary that doesn't run very often, in fact only offered once in 2021. All cabins PV and higher are sold out already, although this will change over time as people change plans.

You are looking at a sailing on the Venus and since it will be the newest ship of the line, folks will be looking to sail on it.

On the other hand, if you change your mind, the penalty is $100pp for cancelling. Read the Viking terms and conditions before you book so you understand what your obligations are and what those of Viking are. Too many people assume and then find themselves in trouble.

30 minutes ago, aungrl said:

It is a long time, but if you’re in the U.S., you should be able to take advantage of the recent promotion (September bookings only, as I understand it), to defer final payment until six months before sail date.  Viking is (rightly, in my view) extremely popular, and cruises do book really far out, so I second ropomo’s advice to book as soon as you’ve settled on a cabin.  And inquire about the six-months-final-payment promotion.  Or have your TA inquire on your behalf.

Sorry, typo....OCTOBER bookings only.

Speaking of booking terms and conditions all I see is pay deposit within 3 days and full 120 days prior. Where is the 6/12 month payment stated ?

It is interesting that two other cruises for Sept 2021 are advertised as SOLD OUT already

Edited by Flashman181

They will hold your cabin for 3 days and then a deposit is required to actually book.  As far as final payment, the standard now is 12 months, but the bottom line is what is in the terms and conditions of your particular booking.  If you hold a cabin, they will send you cruise docs for that booking immediately, you can review them and it will spell out the exact terms before you place the deposit.  Until you actually see the terms and conditions linked to your booking, you will not know for sure.  If you are booking direct with Viking, discuss before hold and then confirm that your discussion matches the docs that will be emailed to you during/after the discussion with the Viking rep, if booking with TA have them do the same.  Going by what is said verbally is as effective as trying to catch a fart.

Edited by ropomo

Just got a reply from VIking Australia so still confused 😉

“When you make a booking with us we require a deposit within 3 business days of making the booking and then we don’t require full payment until 4 months prior to departure which is quite standard between all cruiselines.”

Hi Flashman, We are fellow aussies and have cruised with Viking twice before, one river and this year on the Star. We have already booked our Homelands cruise in 2021. We did this to ensure we could pick the cabin we wanted on the departure date we wanted, midships is very important to us. Yes for Australia the deposit is non refundable, and the balance is required 120 days before departure. Hope that helps.

On 10/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, Flashman181 said:

Thanks Ropomo. Sept 6 2021 is available to book now (with a 2021 new Liner) it seems just seems a very long time away 🙂 

I went Sept 4, 2016 but booked in March 2014,  before the ship was built.  I wanted a V cabin and so that might have something to do with the wait.  It was my first cruise ever and first time to Europe.  It seemed to be a good time weather wise.  Only one bad day in SP.  The rest 70-80 degrees.  No rain in Bergen and we stayed 2 more nights and flew out of there. Some of the snow water falls had dried by that time.  Layered with Dclothing. A little out of prime season but also saved on fare.  Used Alla in SP

Viking Homelands is a great itinerary - since you are considering a Penthouse Verandah, you need to look at which cabins have a sliding door versus a regular door.  I don't remember which cabins but you can search the boards or internet for discussion on this.  Also we wound up booking a third party vendor to do St. Petersburg in order to see everything possible in St. Petersburg in two days.  If I did the Baltic cruise over again, I would try to do three days in St. Pete's - there is so much to see.  There is a new itinerary - Majestic Fjords & Vibrant Russia that is much longer but covers some of the same ports as Viking Homelands & has 3 days in St. Pete's.  Enjoy!

4 hours ago, Flashman181 said:

Yes SM77 the sliding doors were mentioned in other thread and an image attached of PVs with one. Looking at 6014 as preferred cabin at this stage and it has a sliding door 

Thanks to another poster - I saved the pdf file - here are the sliding doors by room number.

VikingPVsliderrooms.pdf