Yellow Fever Inoculation- December Panama Canal Cruise on Sirena

maccrate

I received a notice about yellow fever inoculations if travelling to Colombia.  Sirena is scheduled to dock in Cartagena for 7 hours.  The inoculation seems to be voluntary, and is not required by Oceania, but may lead to not being allowed to disembark in Cartagena for the day.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience with the inoculations?

We received the same notice for similar itinerary leaving in a little over a week.  Several issues after reviewing the CDC link provided in O's email.

• Not recommended if you are over 60 years of age
  • There is currently no yellow fever vaccine available in the United States
  • Columbia will only require proof if you have visited an area that has a current situation with Yellow Fever.  With our itinerary, none of the ports visited meet this criteria.

Hope this helps, but I recommend that you visit the CDC website to form your own opinion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ropomo said:

We received the same notice for similar itinerary leaving in a little over a week.  Several issues after reviewing the CDC link provided in O's email.

• Not recommended if you are over 60 years of age
  • There is currently no yellow fever vaccine available in the United States
  • Columbia will only require proof if you have visited an area that has a current situation with Yellow Fever.  With our itinerary, none of the ports visited meet this criteria.

Hope this helps, but I recommend that you visit the CDC website to form your own opinion.

I so agree with you!! That is where we went for information 👍

Denise😊

• Like 1

ropomo,

I'd like to clarify one of your points. The Yellow Fever is not currently manufactured in the US BUT it is available. The available vaccine is manufactured by the same company just currently not in the states.

I have my shot scheduled with our county health department (travel section) and was there for a typhoid shot last week and was assured that the vaccine is plentiful.

There are differing opinions about those over 60-65 getting the shot because it is a live vaccine. Check with your primary care doctor before getting the shot.

The shot becomes effective between 12-14 days after taking it and there can be side effects with any live vaccine. My health care provider suggested I get the shot no sooner than 3 weeks before travel to Argentina and Brazil in the area where Yellow Fever is active.

As always check with the CDC website but get instructions from your health care team and/or travel clinic.

• Like 3