Family of 3

Stevemac83

Hello, I am looking to book a cruise for my family (2 adults and a 4 year old) would like to know from anybody who has cruised with a family before. 

Myself and my wife have been on 2 cruises before so we know what to expect, but my main concern really is getting the cabin right. I know the cabins are small and not layed out great going from past experience.

In regards to bed configurations, privacy curtains etc. Does anybody have any past experience of a similar situation they could share to help.

Not fussed about cruise line or itinerary, our previous cruises were with RCL and Celebrity. 

Many thanks

I am assuming that you won't be comfortable with your child sleeping in an upper bunk, so you need to be looking at ships that have a sleeper sofa for the child.  Maybe you should start with a spreadsheet for each cruise line...But each class of ships within a line might have different configurations.  You also have to decide on your budget.  You might get everything you want on Disney, but it also might blow your budget big time...  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are also a family of three— our son is now 5, and he has cruised three times on the Disney Wonder, once on HAL Oosterdam, and in November we will be on HAL Nieuw Statendam. I agree with Essiesmom above, that you’d probably feel more secure with your child in a sofa bed at that age. Both HAL and DCL have sofa beds and curtains in their cabin configurations— Disney is going to have more of a sure bet regarding 3-4 person cabins. (With HAL, for example, we have to be very careful to actually book a cabin that will sleep a third person...) 

Another thing to take into consideration are the availability of clubs, services, and pools. I’m sure at 4 you’re good to go for regular pools— but HAL for example doesn’t offer life vests on loan at the pool deck, while RCL, Disney, and I think even Princess do. (Before our son was born, we cruised around a lot on other lines but I wasn’t always paying attn to these things!!)  Disney and yes, even HAL have great clubs for the kids, and the dining staff offer kids menus, so if they’re not inclined to eat something other than Mac and cheese for every meal— like my child— then they can! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are a family of 3, and DS started cruising at 3, just under 4. I too would recommend getting a cabin with a sofa bed at least for the first cruise. To us it doesn't matter whether the room is inside or a balcony - we only sleep there.

On our first cruise we ended up with a handicapped inside cabin on and it had a sofa bed (RCL). It was great.

DS loves pullman beds, though, and started using them at 4. He sleeps like a log, doesn't move, roll away or off.

This past April we were on the Allure and had a sofa bed in a regular inside cabin for 3. When rolled out it took up an enormous amount of space, so DS ( 8 yo ) slept on a unrolled sofa bed which is very narrow. We had to put a chair next to it because he fell off the first night. He wasn't happy because there was no pullman bed. 😞

Our regular balcony cabin for 4 on NCL Getaway had both a pullman bed and a sofa bed. DS chose to sleep on the pullman bed.

In general I think that RCL's Oasis class and above offer a fantastic array of activities and great shows for an entire family. Even their olds ships that got AMPED offer a ton of fun. Royal Caribbean would be my first choice. They are running Kids Sail FREE at the moment, so you may want to take advantage of that before your kid gets into regular school. Some school breaks are blackout dates.

We've sailed on Princess with DS at 4 yo, 5 yo and 6 yo, and their ships don't have anything in terms of fun activities, besides the kid's club. Our DS doesn't do the kid's club. Food is great, though.

NCL's Getaway had some fun stuff like a ropes course, rock climbing, kid and adult water slides, a great aqua park for kids, 

• Thanks 1

My wife and I cruise a good bit with our 2-year old daughter.

The cruise (RCI) provided a pack-N-Play if needed, but now my daughter just sleeps on the sleeper sofa. There was plenty of room for us (we get a balcony room.)

Basically, We love cruising with our daughter!

• Thanks 1

You may want to book something like a Junior suite....something that gives a bit of extra space in the cabin.  You don't generally get any "suite" perks with that, but you're not paying a "suite" price, either.

If your 4 year old is napping or to bed early, get a balcony cabin, so you have someplace "to be" while your child is sleeping.  Miserable sitting in a dark room!  You could read or chat without disturbing your child on a balcony.

• Thanks 1