In the Wake of the Vikings 2021

mmwc

We did our first Viking Ocean experience this past summer, Bergen to London.  What an amazing  adventure.  We are hooked on Viking Ocean.  It seems that this is the place to ask questions and get  answers.  We have our sights set on In the Wake of the Vikings 2021.  We can not find any listing for it.  Can any Viking experts reading this offer some insight as to when the dates for this cruise might be published?

Is Viking going to be offering this cruise in 2021?

With many thanks - Michael and Midge🇨🇦

Wake/Vikings is a fall repositioning cruise moving one, maybe two ships, from the Baltic to Canada/US and then eventually to the Caribbean.

At this point, no way of telling when the 2021 schedule will be finalized and opened for booking.

Thanks so very much Peregrina.

I guess I will have to be patient, not necessarily my strong suit!  I will keep fingers crossed and keep checking Viking website.

We did this itinerary on Sept. 4, 2018, on the Sea, and it was our best cruise ever.  We had (unusually) wonderful weather, including an 84 degree day in Quebec at the end.  The stops are unique, and there are plenty of sea days interspersed.  I couldn’t recommend it more highly, so I hope you’ll have a chance to book it in 2021.

10 hours ago, aungrl said:

We did this itinerary on Sept. 4, 2018, on the Sea, and it was our best cruise ever.  We had (unusually) wonderful weather, including an 84 degree day in Quebec at the end.  The stops are unique, and there are plenty of sea days interspersed.  I couldn’t recommend it more highly, so I hope you’ll have a chance to book it in 2021.

From looking at the posts of the 2019 version - they had quite a bit more difficult weather - thanks to the various remnants of hurricanes, with several ports cancelled and difficult seas.

Personally - if you travel by ship - you just have to expect things - and go with the flow1

Yes, we had friends on the 2019 crossing, and the weather was just awful.  In spite of that, they had a wonderful time, enjoyed everything about it, and fortunately weren’t even all that bothered by the extremely rough seas at the beginning out of Bergen.  They most definitely had that attitude - if you travel by ship, you have to be flexible.  This was their first time on VO and they’ve already booked for 2020.

2 hours ago, aungrl said:

Yes, we had friends on the 2019 crossing, and the weather was just awful.  In spite of that, they had a wonderful time, enjoyed everything about it, and fortunately weren’t even all that bothered by the extremely rough seas at the beginning out of Bergen.  They most definitely had that attitude - if you travel by ship, you have to be flexible.  This was their first time on VO and they’ve already booked for 2020.

Great to hear!  We are thinking about the 2021 Wake of the Vikings - we'll look at reserving while we are on our upcoming cruise and hope we get some good on-board discount on future cruise.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, aungrl said:

We were on that cruise in 2018 too.

It was amazing - loved every minute.

Hope you manage to make a booking in 2021.

Thank you everyone for your replies. We have enjoyed reading them.  We continue to check the Viking website every few days.  Fingers crossed Viking still offers this cruise in 2021.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 1:03 AM, mmwc said:

We did our first Viking Ocean experience this past summer, Bergen to London.  What an amazing  adventure.  We are hooked on Viking Ocean.  It seems that this is the place to ask questions and get  answers.  We have our sights set on In the Wake of the Vikings 2021.  We can not find any listing for it.  Can any Viking experts reading this offer some insight as to when the dates for this cruise might be published?

Is Viking going to be offering this cruise in 2021?

With many thanks - Michael and Midge🇨🇦

We too want to do this cruise in 2021. I’ve spoken to Viking in Australia & I’m afraid the news is not too good. 

Originally a repositioning cruise, this may no longer occur due to extra ships Viking now has & they’ll be based around the world with no need for repositioning from all bases. 

Still hoping it occurs though. 

The last 2 repositioning cruises have resulted in multiple missed ports each voyage with recent Hurrican Dorian causing bad reviews to be posted on Cruise Critic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=993

I'm going on the 2019 reposition In the Wake of the Vikings.  Hope to make the ports and glad I seized the opportunity before it possibly vanished.  SOLD OUT.

How about a plan B? Viking now does a summer cruise Iceland's Majestic Landscapes (Bergen-Faroe Islands-Reykjavik) and offers a pre-/post- cruise extension to Greenland (not on all sailings). That is at least part of the repo. There are 6 sailings scheduled for 2021. Maybe combine it with a land tour in Canada that covers the places visited on the cruise.

I know. Not quite the delight of Viking door to door. But after all, it is a Plan B.

image.png.39dd597ef84ac686308d959ebaa4d9ba.png

45 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

The last 2 repositioning cruises have resulted in multiple missed ports each voyage with recent Hurrican Dorian causing bad reviews to be posted on Cruise Critic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=993

I'm going on the 2019 reposition In the Wake of the Vikings.  Hope to make the ports and glad I seized the opportunity before it possibly vanished.  SOLD OUT.

Not just the last two but since they started doing this repo. Even the Iceland itinerary has missed ports. It is one of the things that one must understand about this particular area of the ocean and the cruising through it. One pays one's money and one takes one's chances that the itinerary will be completed as presented. 

I have wanted to do this cruise since they started doing it but we can't travel at this time of the year. DH still works and Labor Day is the start of the busy season--when everyone finally figures that if they are going to make their numbers for the year that they better stop playing around and get some business on the books. And now it looks like we have missed our chance completely.😖  Well at least we have Iceland to look forward to.

Edited by Peregrina651

Holland America yearly does a cruise called Voyage of the Vikings which goes east and returns on the North Atlantic beginning and ending in Boston. This cruise is annually sold out ( you can do a segment to Europe and a segment to North America). I'm not advertising HAL but what I am saying is that it would be a missed opportunity for Viking not to offer a similar cruise.

Enjoy your cruising days.

36 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

Holland America yearly does a cruise called Voyage of the Vikings which goes east and returns on the North Atlantic beginning and ending in Boston. This cruise is annually sold out ( you can do a segment to Europe and a segment to North America). I'm not advertising HAL but what I am saying is that it would be a missed opportunity for Viking not to offer a similar cruise.

Does HAL allow/cater to children?

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Does HAL allow/cater to children?

HAL allows children. They have a program called Club Hal with dedicated staff. However in no way would I ever say that HAL caters to children. HAL has a more senior clientele. In fact the age of both HAL and Viking are quite similar, but Viking draws a more active segment of the senior crowd as shown by the offered excursions as part of the cruise experience. On the one Viking cruise I have taken Majestic Fjords and Vibrant Cities (another in the works for 2021) I can say I hardly saw anyone in a scooter or wheelchair. I've been on HAL twice (one planned for January 2020 ) and I did see more mobility challenged individuals. I would think that the longer voyages would tend to draw the people who have the most time available to them anyway. Just my observations.

I am in the early senior crowd FYI.