THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

Just now, aubreyc1988 said:

So I always feel really awkward about this, how do you go about tipping these people in a discrete manner? 

I bring fun colorful Thank You cards. We have never tipped the Haven Maitre ‘ upfront.  This may vary from other approaches, which is fine.

I tip the Haven restaurant staff any night when we have dinner there.  For the bartenders/bar servers/courtyard servers, I usually tip as we go.  

At final Haven lunch/dinner, I write a personal Thank You note to the Maitre D and include a tip to be shared with the team.  If there is a specific server in the restaurant that we have connected with, they also receive a personal TY note and additional tip.

For the bar staff, each receives an additional personal TY card and an additional tip on the next to last day.

Personal TY cards for the Concierge, assistant concierge, Butler and room steward with their tip on the day prior to disembarking.

Do we over tip, possibly…. But I travel with my Mom who is a senior. The crew spoils her and makes her feel very special. I am so appreciative they take the time and effort to do so.  It is worth it to me to tip them well as they work so hard. 

We also fill out Hero Cards during the course of the week. 

We spent 4 weeks in 2021 on the Encore in the Haven, the little touches matter to the crew especially right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Do you need reservations for the Haven restaurant?  Do you just show up or have your concierge make your dining reservations?  

@complawyerWe so agree again.  @momofjohnjryour question on how much of a tip is so subjective.  Folks hate giving amounts and it tends to lead to some debate.  Allow me to answer your question in a PC way.  Any amount will be appreciated because not everyone provides a tip to the maitre'd.  @complainerand I both do this.  I do it because these fine folks have had no income for so long, they always go out of their way for their Haven Guests.  The simply deserve it.  My other reason is it makes me feel good.  I want the crew to have as much fun as I do on my cruise so I smile, laugh, always try to be kind and tip.  

Have a great time and I envy your upcoming cruise.  Wish we could go again but we will in the distant future.

Cruise well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

So I always feel really awkward about this, how do you go about tipping these people in a discrete manner? 

I don't do it often so I will have to sharpen my skills if I snag a Haven upgrade, but I happen to like just folding the money into quarters and handing it to the person straightforwardly.  

sthrngary: it only proves the old adage "great minds think alike" i find that an unexpected tip, goes a long way. while it's not necessary, i'm sure the maitre'd will rememeber you if you tip him.  

we've discussed this before, i believe that anyone that performs a service for you while on board a cruise ship deserves an extra tip. consequently, i tip our cabin steward at the begining,middle and end of the cruise, the butler and concierge at the end. also,whoever might be waiting on us at breakfast, lunch or dinner. $5-10 seems reasonable, and i figure if i can ante up for a haven suite (remember, my wife refuses to sail unless it's a haven cabin) i can pony up a few extra dollars to tip the people. and yes i am very much aware they get paid bupkas

like you, i utilize the butler and his/her services as much as needed, without being overbearing .

the concierge, not so much, as i rarely you him, but as ive mentioned in the past, his ability to get me off the ship in a timely manner is worth $50.

again, hopefully we can manage to find a cruise that's convenient for us both. i would love to get together in the haven bar and share a drink. 1st round is on me. 

Happy sailings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

karaboudjan: while i never presume to tell anyone how to spend their money, my advice on tipping applies to anyone in any category cabin.these folks make very little money (and most of it is sent home) work hellacious hours, and i figure if we're all dropping a few thousand bucks on a nice leisurely cruise, a few extra dollars to hard working folks is part of the package. again, if you dont want to tip and feel the daily gratuity charges are sufficient, that's up to each individual.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I left envelopes with the concierge with their names on it.  I know they got them because our butler found us and thanked us.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, complawyer said:

karaboudjan: while i never presume to tell anyone how to spend their money, my advice on tipping applies to anyone in any category cabin.these folks make very little money (and most of it is sent home) work hellacious hours, and i figure if we're all dropping a few thousand bucks on a nice leisurely cruise, a few extra dollars to hard working folks is part of the package. again, if you dont want to tip and feel the daily gratuity charges are sufficient, that's up to each individual.

@complawyer  I did not explain myself well.  I certainly do tip above the pre-paid amount in whatever cabin category I am in.  What I really meant was that I have not cruised in several years so I am 'rusty' and I realize that the Haven may come with more opportunities since the level of service is different than 'outside.'

• Like 1

19 hours ago, complawyer said:

you dont need reservations for the haven restaurant, however on your 1st visit it would be awful helpfully if you tipped the maitre'd

We were on Getaway in October, always had an immediate table save one 5 minute wait in the lounge - not an issue waiting with a glass of champagne. No need to tip anyone to get better service, you will get amazing service anyway, I am not saying do not tip for good service, I do tip but I do not think it necessary to try to get better service than others as it really will not work in the Haven as service is excellent for all.

Edited by kenzie
additional info
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, complawyer said:

aubreyc1988. the tip was just a suggestion, but i'd do $20. its the old "vegas handshake" fold a 20 in the palm of your hand, they stick it out to shake hands.

shaking hands in Covid times is not recommended.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kenzie said:

We were on Getaway in October, always had an immediate table save one 5 minute wait in the lounge - not an issue waiting with a glass of champagne. No need to tip anyone to get better service, you will get amazing service anyway, I am not saying do not tip for good service, I do tip but I do not think it necessary to try to get better service than others as it really will not work in the Haven as service is excellent for all.

So we don't make this about gratuities of tipping.  Everything @kenziesaid above is 100% correct.  To provide a crew member with a gratuity is up to the person.  Not required at all. But not wrong. The key is the Haven Restaurant does not take reservations and it does not need to do so.  

Sometimes, we want our vacations to be so perfect that we might over think it out.  Anyone that reads my post know that I am one of those folks that over think it. Most of the time it works out well.  Some times it creates an unrealistic expectation. 

Cruise vacations especially in the Haven are designed to be very user friendly.  The crew are trained to be very helpful, kind and nice.  They earned the right to be in the Haven which is only the best of the best.  I hope everyone has the opportunity to travel this way once in their lives.  We all deserve to be a "Rock Star" one week a year.

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For those of you who have recently sailed in Haven (or have a sailing upcoming), how many days in advance did you hear from the pre-cruise concierge? We're supposed to sail in 29 days and are still operating like we're going/it's happening. Not sure if I should wait to hear from them or reach out myself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sarr7 said:

For those of you who have recently sailed in Haven (or have a sailing upcoming), how many days in advance did you hear from the pre-cruise concierge? We're supposed to sail in 29 days and are still operating like we're going/it's happening. Not sure if I should wait to hear from them or reach out myself. 

I would reach out. I think it was roughly 30 days for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sarr7 said:

They sent me the luggage tags around that time bit I had to reach out and ask about the welcome letter. They sent it via email. Not as fun. Lol!

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 2:44 PM, HonkyTonkAngel said:

Nyc2pdx I totally agree with you! I may be in the minority here, but I don't feel little ones belong on a cruise. I raised 3 sons and we took them camping and to Disney. I am in disbelief when I see parents with their little ones on cruises. And like you, we never got fancy vacation when I was a kid. We didn't even get Disney; it was just camping! 🤣🤣 . Just like you said, different world I guess. 

I guess to each his own... but I'm a believer that kids need to spend more time playing in dirt.  I raised 2 sons and almost all of our family vacations were camping or Disney (where we stayed with relatives).  Honestly my boys preferred these types of vacations (and I did too when I was a kid).  I made one mistake of booking a cruise for my boys ~ages 8 & 10 for a cruise with my mother.  When I picked them up, the first thing out of my kids mouths were "that was so boring, I never want to cruise again".  Needless to say, I never brought them on a cruise again.  They disliked the kids camp.  The only things they liked was a 1 day ziplining & boating excursion and the unlimited ice cream and steak at meals.  They are adults now, if they want to go on a cruise, they can go themselves and pay for it with there own money.  But even now in their 20's, they still prefer camping or cabin vacations. 

I love cruises, but they have their place. I travel with my brother and elderly mother or with my husband.  Cruises are great for older mixed age groups, or for couples, but I don't think they are a great choice for kids.  Put the money in a 529 and give them a debt free college experience instead. 

• Like 1

I just got upgraded to a 2BR Haven on the 1/23/22 Epic.  My first cruise in the Haven.  We just have to stay covid free until we board (and hopefully we will stay covid free).  I appreciate reading all this info about the Haven and the tips. 

We are travelling with my mother who is in her early 80's... so I've been very nervous about this whole experience, but she is healthy for her age.  I'm hoping staying in the Haven gives us more privacy and space for her sake.  We are so tired of cancelled vacations, it's time to live again, even with a mask on and social distancing.  Everyone I know thinks we are nuts to go on a cruise right now with her.  But she's already had 5 vacations cancelled on her and a few rescheduled and she isn't getting any younger.  I don't think covid is going anywhere, we will have 1 or 2 variants every year, so we just need to learn how to live with it, and ride out the waves.  I am 100% happy that NCL brought masks back on their ships, until Omicron settles down. It makes me feel much more secure with travelling with my mom.

My brother is a vegetarian, so I've reached out to the concierge so it can be noted on my room.  It's nice to know he can order off the menu in the Haven restaurant or through room service, I've been a bit concerned about how meals are going to go.  Our last cruise together was pre-covid, and he was still occasionally eating non vegetarian on vacations, but now he's strict.  Maybe something about a 2+ year pandemic to make you think hard about your health and eating habits.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, catfan2 said:

I'm hoping staying in the Haven gives us more privacy and space for her sake.  

well, you will have more privacy, but, ironically, while most of the ships are at 35-40% of capacity, the havens seem to be fully booked (thanks to upgrades, i imagine). so the haven, while quite restful and far from the madding crowd (which isn't really a crowd, by most accounts, at the present time) will likely be full. 

manageable, with breathing room, and still much better than the regular decks of a fully booked ship, but a full haven is still a full haven nonetheless. 

• Like 1

I am the original author of this stream.  Allow me to kick in on a couple of subjects.  

1) Children In the Haven: Anyone whom read the original very long post knows, two sentences were focused on children in the Haven.  Over the past several years it has been a very hot topic. The issue is not children, it is their parents allow the kids to run wild disturbing other Haven Guests.  All me to reformat this topic, any guest at any age that is rule to another cruise guest.  Age has nothing to do with it.  I hope that clarifies my original intent.

2) The Haven Being Crowded: I just cruised in the Haven on the Joy last month.  The Joy has been know to have the most folks that be be in Haven Suites.  Where the ship was a 40%, the Haven was at 98% due to upgrades.  I never, ever had a hard time eating in the Haven Restaurant, getting a drink at the Haven Bar (with two exceptions due to rude guests), finding a great lounge chair anywhere in the Haven. 

If you have the ability to cruise in one of NCL larger ships with a Haven suite, give it a go.  Now is a great time to upgrade with much lower occupancy.  If you have never cruised in the Haven, when you comment on things you have not experienced, please make that fact know.  Your opinion counts but your never going to know if it is accurate.  

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I am the original author of this stream.  

I just wanted to say thanks to you, Sthrngary, for all of your info and help re The Haven.  I just had the most wonderful cruise of my life and I wish I could always sail in the Haven.

Re our previous discussion about filet mignon, I asked during the first lunch if I could have that daily for breakfast, and I was accommodated.

My only issues were things due to covid that caused me sooooo much worry: covid testing 3 days before, testing at the port, risk of getting infected and quarantined, risk of production shows not occurring, risk of ports missed, etc.

Despite all of my worry, the food, service, exclusivity, expedited port access, etc. were wonderful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I am the original author of this stream.  Allow me to kick in on a couple of subjects.  

1) Children In the Haven: Anyone whom read the original very long post knows, two sentences were focused on children in the Haven.  Over the past several years it has been a very hot topic. The issue is not children, it is their parents allow the kids to run wild disturbing other Haven Guests.  All me to reformat this topic, any guest at any age that is rule to another cruise guest.  Age has nothing to do with it.  I hope that clarifies my original intent.

2) The Haven Being Crowded: I just cruised in the Haven on the Joy last month.  The Joy has been know to have the most folks that be be in Haven Suites.  Where the ship was a 40%, the Haven was at 98% due to upgrades.  I never, ever had a hard time eating in the Haven Restaurant, getting a drink at the Haven Bar (with two exceptions due to rude guests), finding a great lounge chair anywhere in the Haven. 

If you have the ability to cruise in one of NCL larger ships with a Haven suite, give it a go.  Now is a great time to upgrade with much lower occupancy.  If you have never cruised in the Haven, when you comment on things you have not experienced, please make that fact know.  Your opinion counts but your never going to know if it is accurate.  

Cruise well everyone. 

Thank you so much for such outstanding information and it has provided me with a better sense of the experience and worth of upgrading.

It's reassuring when you read other comments that make you feel like it is not worthwhile at this time.

However, for some of us it is an opportunity to experience something we would not have tried otherwise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I just wanted to say thanks to you, Sthrngary, for all of your info and help re The Haven.  I just had the most wonderful cruise of my life and I wish I could always sail in the Haven.

Re our previous discussion about filet mignon, I asked during the first lunch if I could have that daily for breakfast, and I was accommodated.

My only issues were things due to covid that caused me sooooo much worry: covid testing 3 days before, testing at the port, risk of getting infected and quarantined, risk of production shows not occurring, risk of ports missed, etc.

Despite all of my worry, the food, service, exclusivity, expedited port access, etc. were wonderful!

This is very helpful and so good to know for our upcoming trip.

I had wondered if they would substitute a lunch menu item at dinner time and haven't found the answer yet.

Based on your experience, do you feel that is something they would accommodate us with?

In looking at copies of the menu, my wife would prefer some of the lunch entrees.

1 minute ago, Thain said:

This is very helpful and so good to know for our upcoming trip.

I had wondered if they would substitute a lunch menu item at dinner time and haven't found the answer yet.

Based on your experience, do you feel that is something they would accommodate us with?

In looking at copies of the menu, my wife would prefer some of the lunch entrees.

I'm not an expert, but I have NO DOUBT they would accommodate you with some of the lunch entrees, given 1 caveat:

You have to notify them in advance!