Free Air Promo-Toronto to San Juan

Robert Peel

We are three couples flying in a day earlier for our Epic Cruise from San Juan at the end of February. Leaving Toronto on the Saturday for our Sunday cruise departure 

Has anyone taken this route before and if so how were the connections? We see that there are a few direct flights however several also with connections and are wondering if anyone can share past experiences on their connections and flights?

We don’t have the free air promo, but we’re taking direct flights from Detroit to San Juan and returning to Detroit for our cruise in December. When I was looking, I did not see many direct flights. Direct flights from Toronto could be possible, though. If not, hopefully they connect you on to the direct flight to and from Detroit. 

Oops, forgot the airline...direct flights on Delta. 

Edited by mrsrlg
Add info

9 hours ago, Robert Peel said:

We are three couples flying in a day earlier for our Epic Cruise from San Juan at the end of February. Leaving Toronto on the Saturday for our Sunday cruise departure 

Has anyone taken this route before and if so how were the connections? We see that there are a few direct flights however several also with connections and are wondering if anyone can share past experiences on their connections and flights?

Speculating - do a dummy booking on the most likely airline(s) to service that route/itinerary.

Best that you go with an airline that has more than one flight frequency daily -

An airline with one flight a day is not the best choice

Delta would be one with frequent non-stops flight out of Atlanta - San Juan

American would be a likely Miami - San Juan

There are also connections via NYC and Chicago

United may have something to offer

I think that Jet Blue is a recent entry in that SJU market

Plot your origin flights to those connection points.

I highly recommend what you are planning - arriving a day early for your cruise

You are going to have a 5+ hour flight non-stop questionable and if connecting flights

2-3 hours to the connection point and then again another 2-4 hours for the final leg to San Juan

In planning those connections allow reasonable time - 30 minutes to an hour really not the best idea !

Look for 2 hours to have an edge for both you and your baggage to be on the same plane

Leaving the origin in the 8-9 am range arriving San Juan after 4 pm (time zone change)

Factor February weather in your travels - - - best to have a cushion in your travel plans

Did this in February '09 traveling on Delta from MSP - ATL - SJU  -  Southern Caribbean Carnival Victory

Arrived SJU a day early in the late afternoon - if catching the ship same day it would have been hectic.

This should give you some ideas and get you started with your plans - - -

I’m from Puerto Rico. During the last few years, San Juan has gone from zero nonstop flights to Canada to 3 airlines (Air Canada, Westjet, and Air Transat) all flying nonstop to Toronto, and two of them now flying nonstop to Montreal as well. Keep in mind that these routes are seasonal and only operate on the weekends, possibly with cruisers in mind. 

With that said, that these routes exist doesn’t mean that Norwegian will book you on one of these nonstop flights. As previously mentioned, Norwegian will put you on whatever it’s most affordable to them, which will most likely include a connection. 

Whatever you end up with, have an excellent cruise!

Edited by Tapi

3 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Speculating - do a dummy booking on the most likely airline(s) to service that route/itinerary.

Best that you go with an airline that has more than one flight frequency daily -

An airline with one flight a day is not the best choice

Delta would be one with frequent non-stops flight out of Atlanta - San Juan

American would be a likely Miami - San Juan

There are also connections via NYC and Chicago

United may have something to offer

I think that Jet Blue is a recent entry in that SJU market

Plot your origin flights to those connection points.

I highly recommend what you are planning - arriving a day early for your cruise

You are going to have a 5+ hour flight non-stop questionable and if connecting flights

2-3 hours to the connection point and then again another 2-4 hours for the final leg to San Juan

In planning those connections allow reasonable time - 30 minutes to an hour really not the best idea !

Look for 2 hours to have an edge for both you and your baggage to be on the same plane

Leaving the origin in the 8-9 am range arriving San Juan after 4 pm (time zone change)

Factor February weather in your travels - - - best to have a cushion in your travel plans

Did this in February '09 traveling on Delta from MSP - ATL - SJU  -  Southern Caribbean Carnival Victory

Arrived SJU a day early in the late afternoon - if catching the ship same day it would have been hectic.

This should give you some ideas and get you started with your plans - - -

Thank you for the comments and research, we have also looked at the various connections at play in this and we know it can be anywhere from a direct flight to seeing the eastern seaboard with a number of connections 

Eventually we will arrive...., and it will much warmer in San Juan than Toronto. I was hoping to hear from someone who has done this flight in the past with NCL,  we know it may not be the same flight/connections this February, depending on costs and available flights but wanted to see what they have done for clients in the past

Thank you for the time you took to review that for me and your suggestions , much appreciated 

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I’m from Puerto Rico. During the last few years, San Juan has gone from zero nonstop flights to Canada to 3 airlines (Air Canada, Westjet, and Air Transat) all flying nonstop to Toronto, and two of them now flying nonstop to Montreal as well. Keep in mind that these routes are seasonal and only operate on the weekends, possibly with cruisers in mind. 

With that said, that these routes exist doesn’t mean that Norwegian will book you on one of these nonstop flights. As previously mentioned, Norwegian will put you on whatever it’s most affordable to them, which will most likely include a connection. 

Whatever you end up with, have an excellent cruise!

Thank you Tapi, yes we actually changed our flight from Montreal to Toronto as it provided more options and direct flights into San Juan for us

Its nice to see Canadian airlines making it easier for we Canadians to visit your island

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You might want to read this current thread:

Thank you Turtles06, I read that thread earlier and from my read on it and a few other threads it seems for every 5 sad tales of woe there are just as many positive experiences 

For us the price to fly with NCL’s promo was nowhere what we could have booked ourselves and we looked at many different alternatives 

We are hoping for clear skies and hopefully a smooth direct flight but also prepared to see a few airports along the way if that occurs

22 minutes ago, Robert Peel said:

Thank you Turtles06, I read that thread earlier and from my read on it and a few other threads it seems for every 5 sad tales of woe there are just as many positive experiences 

For us the price to fly with NCL’s promo was nowhere what we could have booked ourselves and we looked at many different alternatives 

We are hoping for clear skies and hopefully a smooth direct flight but also prepared to see a few airports along the way if that occurs

Glad you are doing your research, and know what to expect.  Good luck with your flights, and enjoy your cruise!

(BTW, we love your country.  Just returned from another great visit.) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 6:47 PM, Robert Peel said:

Just bumping this thread up to see if there has been anyone who as taken this route with the NCL Free Air Promo recently or has received their flight itenerary for a pending trip?