Travel insurance for a Viking cruise?

aburnett

2 hours ago, aburnett said:

Does the travel insurance differ for different cruise lines? If we book a Viking cruise, should we look for a certain travel insurance or are they applicable to all cruise lines? Thanks!

Ann

Any travel insurance plan that covers your per person prepaid, non-refundable trip costs will cover your costs for Viking or any other travel supplier.

If you are talking about purchasing the policies offered by the cruise line, yes. Each offers a policy unique to them with specific terms.  

If you are talking about purchasing independent third-party insurance, each insurance company offers a number of policies with varying coverage, but they are not limited to a single cruise line.

Forgive me if my assumption is incorrect, but it seems that you may not have much experience with travel insurance. Your question is really broad, and there is a lot to consider in getting the right coverage. Do you need to consider pre-existing conditions? Cancel for any reason? Coverage for additional expenses such as hotels, airfare, or independent excursions?  Does age make the policy more expensive?

Sorting it all out can be time consuming and a little overwhelming. You can buy a policy from Viking or you can get a third party policy. Whatever you decide, read the policy and ask for clarification when necessary. That way you can minimize the chance of a nasty surprise if you have to file a claim.

I suggest you call an agent at the trip insurance store or insure my trip. Explain your situation to them, and let them help you find the best policy.

Edited by Babr
Spelling

47 minutes ago, Babr said:

I suggest you call an agent at the trip insurance store or insure my trip. Explain your situation to them, and let them help you find the best policy.

This is always the best approach.  See what they come up with and then compare it to the Viking plan.

The big advantage of a third party plan over the Viking plan is it will cover items not purchased through Viking.  It will also probably be for a (potentially much) lower premium, but you need to do the comparison.

As far as coverage, Viking does have some of the best cruise line insurance that I have seen.  If you will purchase just about all of your pre-paid non-refundable trip costs from Viking and the premium is not out of line with third party insurance it is certainly worth a look.  Here are some features of Viking's UF425V plan.  I believe this is current, but check to be sure.

• $100K medical and $250K med evacuation.  Significantly better than any other cruise line I have seen.
  • 100% trip cancellation and 150% trip interruption benefits for covered reasons.  Other cruise lines usually offer only 100% interruption. 
  • Cancellation for any reason (CRAR) coverage as a 100% Viking credit.  12 month time limit. Seems to cover everything purchased through Viking, not just the cruise fare.
  • Offers a waiver of pre-existing conditions if purchased within 14 days of initial trip payment. 60 day look back period if purchased later.
  • Medical coverage is secondary.
  • Reasonably good coverage for baggage and trip delay.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

PS:  I have read that Viking insurance is expensive, but I have not priced it.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

If you are talking about purchasing the policies offered by the cruise line, yes. Each offers a policy unique to them with specific terms.  

If you are talking about purchasing independent third-party insurance, each insurance company offers a number of policies with varying coverage, but they are not limited to a single cruise line.

Forgive me if my assumption is incorrect, but it seems that you may not have much experience with travel insurance. Your question is really broad, and there is a lot to consider in getting the right coverage. Do you need to consider pre-existing conditions? Cancel for any reason? Coverage for additional expenses such as hotels, airfare, or independent excursions?  Does age make the policy more expensive?

Sorting it all out can be time consuming and a little overwhelming. You can buy a policy from Viking or you can get a third party policy. Whatever you decide, read the policy and ask for clarification when necessary. That way you can minimize the chance of a nasty surprise if you have to file a claim.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Thank you for your response! We have cruised several times but always just took the insurance offered by the cruise line. We are looking to book a Viking river/ocean combo and the insurance is really costly so I thought I'd investigate. I also read about pre-existing conditions, which seem to be confusing. So it does seem the best approach is to talk to an insurance agent to get questions answered. Thank you very much!

Ann

Just to be sure - the trip insurance store and insure my trip are the names of websites for travel insurance brokers, and you’ll find contact information there. You can call and talk to someone who can help you. Ordinary insurance agencies don’t sell travel insurance. 

A third party policy may not be less expensive. All things being equal, age of the travelers will increase the cost of the third party whereas the cruise line policy is the same for all regardless of age. Compare the coverage limits for medical and evacuation since you’ll be traveling overseas. 

Good information. My husband is 77 , will be 78 when we travel and it may be that the cruise line insurance may work best. I will look at those websites. I just thought I should look into it! Thanks!