Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
WrittenOnYourHeart

Coba Pyramid and Cenote Swim - do you have to swim?

Recommended Posts

Has anyone done this excursion who knows if you have to swim in the cenote? Swimming underground like that - the idea of it anyway - freaks me out, but I would love to go to the Coba ruins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you can sit out the snorkel in the cenote.  We had a few handicaps sit out a couple of caves.  One with mobility issues stayed topside.   But if this is a ship excursion, do see Coba.  It's further than Tulum and often missed by Cozumel cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

No, you can sit out the snorkel in the cenote.  We had a few handicaps sit out a couple of caves.  One with mobility issues stayed topside.   But if this is a ship excursion, do see Coba.  It's further than Tulum and often missed by Cozumel cruisers.

 

Thank you! I *can* swim and no mobility issues...just freaked out by the idea of being underground. I went ahead and booked it! I might take my stuff in case I'm feeling brave. 🙂

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

 

Thank you! I *can* swim and no mobility issues...just freaked out by the idea of being underground. I went ahead and booked it! I might take my stuff in case I'm feeling brave. 🙂

They give you snorkel, mask, wet suit life/snorkel jacket, fins and head lamp.  Be brave, it's fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 7:41 AM, crewsweeper said:

They give you snorkel, mask, wet suit life/snorkel jacket, fins and head lamp.  Be brave, it's fantastic.

Is it a tight space?  I would like to try something like this but get a little claustrophobic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, evenstar1976 said:

Is it a tight space?  I would like to try something like this but get a little claustrophobic 

The ones we were in were actually quite large.  Dark and you stay with your group, but they don't take you into the smaller cenotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

The ones we were in were actually quite large.  Dark and you stay with your group, but they don't take you into the smaller cenotes.

Thanks.  Never been before and trying to decide on  shore excursions.  Way too many to choose from but seeing some lower prices for Black Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not miss this excursion! This is definitely an excursion to muster all your inner courage.   But, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be thrilled that you did it afterwards. I never thought we would climb to the top of a Mayan Pyramid.  So many of them are being roped off and you cannot even climb one step.  The cenotes are also just incredible. We are not getting any younger, so I knew we just needed to do it.   What an amazing memory!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...