Premium Plus Experience Feedback

purpleally

Just now, dshefter said:

Premium just doesn't seem worth it. We enjoy wine, but just a glass at dinner. I love single-malt scotch and realize the choices aren't great on the UBP. But if I have to pay a few extra bucks for an expensive single-malt, so be it. Just doesn't justify paying that kind of extra money for the Premium package, especially if we purchase Vibe and do other "extra" things such as Laser Tag, Go-Karts and Virtual reality.

That is the point.  While many see this differently, we enjoy the cruise vacation as a family as it allows us to pick and choose what we spend our money on while we are on board.  We have had trips where we spent nothing above the cruise far (other than tips) and we have been on trips where we spent much, much more than that.  While we do our research before we get on board so that we know what our options will be, until we get on board we don't know what we will end up spending our money on, which is why I don't understand the criticism of the company for offering this as an add-on.  It is a strictly personal choice and that is the beauty of a cruise vacation, especially for families (we have three kids of varying ages).  For me the package is worth it, even if I get off after a week, do the math, and realize that I would have been better off going alacarte.  Doesn't matter to me, the experience of not having to worry about it is enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Liljo22 said:

Since they require the second person in the room to have the UBP, its assumed the second drink is for that person.  

That is a good point, but because we are a family of 5 we book ourselves in two rooms, three in one and two in the other, then we move our two teenage boys into one and our 9  year old daughter into ours.  My wife does not get the package and it is certainly not our intention of skirting the rules on board.  They may have assumed and we would have been more than happy to pay for the drink if they asked.  They just never did and we never thought twice about it, however, you do bring up a good point that we had not though of.

1 hour ago, zymurgy1999 said:

I had this package when we were in the Baltic in June.  I am leaving on the Encore on Sunday and I purchased it.  You can get two drinks each time you go to the bar (or Starbucks).  I know sharing is not allowed, but on the Getaway this summer I sat at the bar with my wife and ordered the premium beverages and the bartender had no issue sliding one to me and one to my wife.  When we sat at dinner with another couple, our friends, we ordered bottles of the premium wines and champagnes the waiters brought 4 glasses to the table without asking the others for their cards.  When I went to Starbucks and ordered two coffees and went to wait as they prepared them they slid one to me and one to my wife.  I don't know if this is protocol for the ship.  I certainly was not trying to take advantage or "share" an un-paid for package.

I am a bourbon drinker and they have Whistle Pig rye on board.  The bourbon on the regular package is not what I enjoy drinking.  Additionally, I enjoyed trying many of the premium liquors, things that I would never pay for shore-side, like Patron Anejo, Macallan Quest, Johnny Walker Platinum, Armagnac VSPO.  I would not have had that opportunity without the package.

Each day we had about 4-5 coffees at Starbucks (sometimes with 3-4 shots of espresso to liven the drink up), 3-4 of the "premium" liquors and a bottle or two of the premium wine/champagne at dinner.  We actually drank LESS, but had more high quality drinks.  Whether the math worked or not I cannot tell you, but what I can tell you that the overall experience was worth the upsell.  This is a personal experience and is different for everyone.  Looking forward to the different experience this time on the Caribbean where the trip is more of the ship experience over the port experience.

I like your style

On the Breakaway I had no problem having the Butler bring me 4-6 bottles of Veuve Cliquot at a time to have in the fridge - so that I was always "stocked" and I also loved the fact that I could order my favorite champagne by the glass at most bars/restaurants.  And during those FEW times that they did not have this particular champagne - they always seemed quite happy to go and retrieve it from another location.  This upgrade is very worth it for us even though my husband does not drink alcohol.  I was not aware of any Starbucks option...but I am not a big Starbucks fan anyway.

2 hours ago, zymurgy1999 said:

For me the package is worth it, even if I get off after a week, do the math, and realize that I would have been better off going alacarte.  Doesn't matter to me, the experience of not having to worry about it is enough for me.

This is exactly my rationale as well.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

On the Breakaway I had no problem having the Butler bring me 4-6 bottles of Veuve Cliquot at a time to have in the fridge - so that I was always "stocked" and I also loved the fact that I could order my favorite champagne by the glass at most bars/restaurants.  And during those FEW times that they did not have this particular champagne - they always seemed quite happy to go and retrieve it from another location.  This upgrade is very worth it for us even though my husband does not drink alcohol.  I was not aware of any Starbucks option...but I am not a big Starbucks fan anyway.

I didn't think the butler could bring you bottles and have it included under your plan.  Is that not the case?  I have the premium plus package and am in the Haven (H8).

13 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

I didn't think the butler could bring you bottles and have it included under your plan.  Is that not the case?  I have the premium plus package and am in the Haven (H8).

We have done it on our last 3 cruises without issue.  And we had the empty fridge as we were in the DOS so I just kept 2 champagne bottles in the fridge at all times chilling - along with the sodas for hubby.  And the reason that I kept ordering "ahead' was that I have been on ships when they had run OUT of Veuve Cliquot!  I do switch to Moet once in awhile....but just did not want to run out since it was (is) such a great deal. 

Of course it my be the case that NCL has different rules and not so great communication from ship to ship....

2 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Wow. That would be awesome to have 4-6 bottles in the fridge.  Alas, no butler for me so I guess I will have to wait until dining.  Wondering if I can order a bottle at breakfast....

5 hours ago, zymurgy1999 said:

I had this package when we were in the Baltic in June.  I am leaving on the Encore on Sunday and I purchased it.  You can get two drinks each time you go to the bar (or Starbucks).  I know sharing is not allowed, but on the Getaway this summer I sat at the bar with my wife and ordered the premium beverages and the bartender had no issue sliding one to me and one to my wife.  When we sat at dinner with another couple, our friends, we ordered bottles of the premium wines and champagnes the waiters brought 4 glasses to the table without asking the others for their cards.  When I went to Starbucks and ordered two coffees and went to wait as they prepared them they slid one to me and one to my wife.  I don't know if this is protocol for the ship.  I certainly was not trying to take advantage or "share" an un-paid for package.

I am a bourbon drinker and they have Whistle Pig rye on board.  The bourbon on the regular package is not what I enjoy drinking.  Additionally, I enjoyed trying many of the premium liquors, things that I would never pay for shore-side, like Patron Anejo, Macallan Quest, Johnny Walker Platinum, Armagnac VSPO.  I would not have had that opportunity without the package.

Each day we had about 4-5 coffees at Starbucks (sometimes with 3-4 shots of espresso to liven the drink up), 3-4 of the "premium" liquors and a bottle or two of the premium wine/champagne at dinner.  We actually drank LESS, but had more high quality drinks.  Whether the math worked or not I cannot tell you, but what I can tell you that the overall experience was worth the upsell.  This is a personal experience and is different for everyone.  Looking forward to the different experience this time on the Caribbean where the trip is more of the ship experience over the port experience.

Thank you so much for this feedback. Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread three weeks ago.  Now, I just have to wait three months before I can experience it myself!

• Like 1

Hi,

Just got off the Joy.

Yes Veuve is certainly on the list.

We had Veuve mimosas in the Garden in the morning and took remainder with us. 

Had several at dinner.

I am mainly a scotch drinker so I certainly scored. 

Was drinking $100+ doubles/triples  of Macallan Quest, Macallan Enigma, and Macallan Terra. 

Other premium drinks all day. Water bottles are certainly a plus to have as well as, red bull ect. 

Starbucks was a bit of a pain as in the beginning they would only allow one drink at a time, and I always wanted to get two. 

So I would have to go from one to the next, or get back in line. Was a little mad at first, but they were just doing what they were told. 

The last few days they relaxed and let me have them. 

Very few people on the ship had this package. So the bars know you by name when you order with is great.

They take extra care of you.  

Best upgrade on a ship I have ever done. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Poolguyaz said:

Hi,

Just got off the Joy.

Yes Veuve is certainly on the list.

We had Veuve mimosas in the Garden in the morning and took remainder with us. 

Had several at dinner.

I am mainly a scotch drinker so I certainly scored. 

Was drinking $100+ doubles/triples  of Macallan Quest, Macallan Enigma, and Macallan Terra. 

Other premium drinks all day. Water bottles are certainly a plus to have as well as, red bull ect. 

Starbucks was a bit of a pain as in the beginning they would only allow one drink at a time, and I always wanted to get two. 

So I would have to go from one to the next, or get back in line. Was a little mad at first, but they were just doing what they were told. 

The last few days they relaxed and let me have them. 

Very few people on the ship had this package. So the bars know you by name when you order with is great.

They take extra care of you.  

Best upgrade on a ship I have ever done. 

Sounds fantastic and thanks for confirming bottles of Veuve are still available on the Premium Plus. 

I was on the 11/2 Encore sailing and I was able order 2 coffee drinks at a time with the PPBP.

Edited by aero777

It's me again....the lucky one that had the Veuve brought to me by the butler by the bottle.  And to update the situation - it was NOT the DOS as we are off the Joy today and were in an H4....and guess what?  When I asked what the discount was for an entire bottle of Veuve Cliquot - the butler said that he would have to check.  He came back with "it's either 40% or 80%" discount....and wanted to go and speak with the bar manager or someone?

Bottom line is that he came back and said that when they keyed it in....the full bottles of Veuve came up FREE!  Now I KNOW that this was a fluke?  But did not complain at all when I had one to two bottle of Veuve delivered to my stateroom each day for ZERO dollars!  I even walked off with one in my large purse today.....

Maybe it was God's way of apologizing for our Thanksgiving "NORO VIRUS" cruise! lol

But glasses of Veuve were free with the Premium Plan....the kids (big kids that is!) enjoyed the Starbucks addition....many a good scotch and tequila were tasted by them all......and I just enjoyed my Veuve Cliquot.......all week long!

• Like 2

I was on the Bliss, 21 days, Panama, last month. 

Most of the bartenders did not know about the package. Not even those in Starbucks or the Juice Bar. In The outside bars almost nothing was available from the ppb package, ubtil we complained. 

But it was not that strange, because not even the food and beverage manager really knew what was included. 

On the Getaway in September, it worked Great. On the Bliss, worthless. 

9 hours ago, roxette said:

I was on the Bliss, 21 days, Panama, last month. 

Most of the bartenders did not know about the package. Not even those in Starbucks or the Juice Bar. In The outside bars almost nothing was available from the ppb package, ubtil we complained. 

But it was not that strange, because not even the food and beverage manager really knew what was included. 

On the Getaway in September, it worked Great. On the Bliss, worthless. 

That's too bad.  It's unfortunate that even after a few months of offering and promoting this "upgrade" that the most important people don't know about it.

I've just purchased the upgrade as an x-mas gift to ourselves for our September 7-day cruise and think it will be super fun not to worry about $2 here or $3 there...  On our last cruise our party of 5 went thru at least 4 bottles of the cheapo/included champagne and one bottle of Vueve during our LeBistro night.   That alone would make up for the cost of the package for us.    

Our traveling companions in their own room have been contemplating the upgrade as well, so we might have to make our money back over the course of a couple nights.   I don't see it being a problem.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pgbear said:

Thanks.   Not to be a kill-Joy (no pun), but heard reports of stomach virus.    Know how many affected ? 

The one before us around 200, this one I heard around 40, but no one transported to any hospital on mine. 

Many were sea sick as the boat rocks quite a bit. It was a little windy. 

They were doing everything they could possibly do to prevent it, short of dipping us fully in antibacterial spray.

I commend all they were doing. 

On 11/22/2019 at 11:06 AM, zymurgy1999 said:

Can you please elaborate, if possible, on how you were able to upgrade the drink package for only one person in the cabin?

4 hours ago, jmele999 said:

Can you please elaborate, if possible, on how you were able to upgrade the drink package for only one person in the cabin?

Not sure about him, but I booked separate reservations, one room had my wife and daughter, and other room had my son and I. He is 13 so I didn't have to pay for him to upgrade:) so I got a single.  I don't drink coffee, but would get them for my wife and daughter. They pretty much knew that as one was non fat and one almond milk.  So I didn't push the subject of two drinks, which is what is spelled out in the rules. Also says no sharing, lol. 

16 hours ago, jmele999 said:

I thought that I had posted previously that I was booked in one room with my 14 year old and my wife was booked in another room with our other two children, so I was able to upgrade just the one pacakge.