Solo cruiser: dinnertime on the Sunrise?

Hey everyone,

I just booked a cruise on the Sunrise for later this month.  It will be my first time cruising solo, so that leaves me with a couple questions, mainly about dinnertime.

Due to last-minute booking, the only seating available for dinner was Anytime.  As I'd rather not sit in a corner by myself, I asked to get the late seating and was put on a waitlist.  Carnival said that since I'm a Platinum VIF'nP they can probably get me in.  Has anybody else experienced waitlist success?

I was also wondering about the solo seating scenarios.  Does Carnival maintain some of the bigger tables for solo travelers, and do they populate them by age group? 

And will it be helpful to say hi to the Maître D' shortly after boarding, perhaps with Andrew Jackson in hand, and request to be seated with an appropriate table?

All my other sailings have either been with groups, friends, or a (lucky) girlfriend.  I do travel solo sometimes and don't get bored much -- I'm not super outgoing but also not an introvert -- and I'm wondering how this solo adventure is going to go.

Thanks!

-Erik

11x on Carnival, 1x NCL, 1x Norwegian, 1st time trying this alone...

I was kind of opposite this time last year for my first week of December cruise. I wanted anytime but was given late and was put on the waitlist for anytime. I did eventually get confirmed...a couple weeks before the cruise I believe.

I have heard they try to seat solos together in assigned dining  but I have no experience with it myself.

Edited by Saint Greg

19 hours ago, coevan said:

even with YTD, should not be any problem seating with other people

I wouldn't be so sure.  Many who opt for YTD do so because they don't want to sit with others.  There is rarely a wait to be seated anymore, so we are rarely given the option to sit with others.  There might be other solos waiting or perhaps they will make friends during the day who also have YTD that they can sit with.  

OP, since you have priority status you will likely get your desired seating 🙂 

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  Many who opt for YTD do so because they don't want to sit with others.  There is rarely a wait to be seated anymore, so we are rarely given the option to sit with others.  There might be other solos waiting or perhaps they will make friends during the day who also have YTD that they can sit with.  

OP, since you have priority status you will likely get your desired seating 🙂 

It's the first question we are asked at the hostess stand, pretty sure about it. 

1 hour ago, coevan said:

It's the first question we are asked at the hostess stand, pretty sure about it. 

I guess it varies by ship.  Do you ever ask to sit with others?  If so, do you have to wait to have others?  The only time we tend to get the option is first night and sometimes formal night, and that is usually an apologetic ask because there is a long wait for tables for 2.  We don't mind sitting with others (would often prefer it), but enjoy the flexibility of YTD.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, Erik_On_The_High_Seas said:

And will it be helpful to say hi to the Maître D' shortly after boarding, perhaps with Andrew Jackson in hand, and request to be seated with an appropriate table?

If you don't get moved prior to the cruise, by all means see the Maitre D on the first day to make your request. You don't need to have money in hand (you don't need to bribe them). If you're happy with their service at the end of the cruise, that's the better time to show their appreciation.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, coevan said:

even with YTD, should not be any problem seating with other people

13 hours ago, coevan said:

Since YTD started, we have only eaten alone or with friends, never ate with strangers. 

I thought I remembered correctly that was your preference.  If you never eat with strangers, how do you know that it shouldn't be a problem sitting with others?  If there is no wait to be seated only with your group, but an unknown wait to find strangers to sit with I think most would opt to dine alone.

4 hours ago, meatloafsfan said:

If you don't get moved prior to the cruise, by all means see the Maitre D on the first day to make your request. You don't need to have money in hand (you don't need to bribe them). If you're happy with their service at the end of the cruise, that's the better time to show their appreciation.  

I know that tipping is an odd American phenomenon, which hints of bribery on one hand and servitude on the other.  But it exists, unfortunately, so I play along.  And I've found that cash tipping the cabin attendant ensures that they actually get 100% of what you're tipping -- and that starting off Day 1 with a $20 ensures that the ice bucket remains full, the room is spotless, the towel animals are fantastic, etc.

I think the Maître D' gets a portion of the tips if you choose the prepaid-gratuity route, so why not let him know in advance how much you appreciate what he does?  (Also helps if I end up at a table with a bunch of people who throw food, complain constantly, change baby diapers on the table, are deathly silent, etc. and I want to move).

44 minutes ago, Erik_On_The_High_Seas said:

I know that tipping is an odd American phenomenon, which hints of bribery on one hand and servitude on the other.  But it exists, unfortunately, so I play along.  And I've found that cash tipping the cabin attendant ensures that they actually get 100% of what you're tipping -- and that starting off Day 1 with a $20 ensures that the ice bucket remains full, the room is spotless, the towel animals are fantastic, etc.

Thank you!  Whenever I see people try to use TIPS as an acronym I want to ask what they are "insuring."  Your aim is ensuring a desired outcome with a pre-tip.

We extend our gratuity as an expression of appreciation after the service, and still receive ice twice a day and cute towel animals.  I can tell that cleaning has been done and am pleased with the service.  If you receive more for your pre-tip though, enjoy 🙂 

8 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Thank you!  Whenever I see people try to use TIPS as an acronym I want to ask what they are "insuring."  Your aim is ensuring a desired outcome with a pre-tip.

We extend our gratuity as an expression of appreciation after the service, and still receive ice twice a day and cute towel animals.  I can tell that cleaning has been done and am pleased with the service.  If you receive more for your pre-tip though, enjoy 🙂 

I'm also treat people particularly respectfully and kindly when they have unsupervised access to what I'm eating or my toothbrush...😛

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Erik_On_The_High_Seas said:

I think the Maître D' gets a portion of the tips if you choose the prepaid-gratuity route, so why not let him know in advance how much you appreciate what he does?  (Also helps if I end up at a table with a bunch of people who throw food, complain constantly, change baby diapers on the table, are deathly silent, etc. and I want to move).

Actually - the part of showing your appreciation at the end of the cruise (and not tipping when asking for a change) comes directly from Ken (the singing Maitre D on the Carnival Pride). He declined a tip when we asked to be moved to a shared table and let us know that if we felt that his service was exceptional, the end of the cruise would be the appropriate time to show our appreciation.

I have no issue tipping - I just feel that it's not necessary to bribe someone to do things - it's about tipping them for their overall service at the end of the cruise.

Edited by meatloafsfan
  • Like 1