Interconnecting Suites & Balcony View Ovation

maddie2312

Hi all

We’ve just had our suite allocation for upcoming Ovation trip.  it’s a high floor with interconnecting doors. I’ve not been on a cruise with them but certainly in hotels I’ve always found you could hear things like TV, conversations & snoring more clearly than through a wall. We also noticed our balcony looks like the shape of the ship is cutting a wedge off the top of the  balcony but not sure how much effect it will have. 

Does anyone have experience of interconnecting cabins on ideally Ovation or Encore and if they found them noisier? 

Anyone got clearer pictures of Ovation on the port side, midships please so we can get a better look. Or experience in any of the suites with different balcony shape.

(Online picture attached) 

Thanks in advance.

Maddie

image.jpg

Hi Maddie....sorry that I cannot comment on the noise with regard to connecting suites, however I can comment on the location of your suite.  On our first cruise on Encore we were just a few doors down on Deck 10, we liked the location so much that on a subsequent cruise on Ovation, we requested the same location.  We really liked the feeling of walking out of our hallway into  fresh air, overlooking the pool (above the fray), the little Sky Bar and comfy seating at your finger tips with glorious views. In the evening, On the short walk to the staircase lobby, the ship is so lovely.....note that if the weather is bad, there is an elevator at the end of your hallway that accesses all floors.  The large Observation Lounge is just a floor up (staircase or elevator) also at end of your hallway.  As lovely as our veranda was....it was a bit bigger than yours, we used Deck 10 much more.  It might have had something to with a very pleasant crew member who handed us glasses of champagne as soon as we emerged through those doors on Deck 10.  Hope someone answers your question more throughly and you enjoy your SB cruise as much as we did.....it was marvelous. 

• Like 1

Thank you Cece50 for taking the time to reply and for your positive review. We are really looking forward to travelling on Ovation as our past two trips with SB have been on Quest. 

With quite a lot interconnecting cabins I expected some CC members to have been able to comment. I agree that stepping out to the deck and Sky bar would be great. I’m still concerned over noise from the door and noted a general tips video reviewer gave it as his top thing to avoid due to hearing voices, TV and phones.  Between that and potentially reduced light from the bit partially covering the balcony  I decided to call our TA and ask if there was any possibility of a different allocation as most categories appeared to still have availability. They spoke to SB and were told that the T&C’s say no changes (which I understand) They apparently said it was a good cabin with no restricted view and had the pool deck above it. I pointed out to my TA it was one deck down not up. She didn’t have the plan so just reiterated that’s what she was told. SB said they would have to raise it to a higher level and see if there were any other options but not to get my hopes up! Fingers and toes crossed as 18 nights is a long time if things aren’t quite right. 

Thanks 

Maddie

The noise level will depend on those in the suite next to yours.   We were in a Spa Suite and our neighbors kept different hours so we always heard them when they came back in the early AM.   They may have been hard of hearing because we heard everything that was said in their cabin.    Bring earplugs and you should be okay.     I will be disappointed if our next suite is a connecting suite.

Thanks for the information Covepointcruiser. 
it’s a definite concern. We can occasion enjoy a late night in the club and like to play or own music in the cabin. Not particularly loud but I wouldn’t want to disturb any neighbours or particularly curtail our enjoyment either. Our TA said SB was calling them back with potential options but I haven’t heard yet. I think I’ll give them another call tomorrow. We’ve also got the balcony issue. My TA says SB said it’s not listed as restricted but pictures appear to say different. Final doc arrived today and instead of the usual excitement I’m feeling rather nervous. 

We cruised with another couple on Seabourn Encore who had a connecting suite. They could hear the neighbour's tv and voices regularly. They were not at all happy but no alternative suites were available. It sounded just like I have experienced at times in hotels, on business trips when room allocation was sometimes outwith my choosing, although I have never had a connecting door on a ship. I would never choose to book one which is why I always choose to pay for a specific cabin.  If you play music late at night at any reasonable volume in a connecting room I really do think you will risk disturbing those next door. I would not choose to do so in those circumstances and I'd hope not to be next door to someone who did.

I am a light sleeper and in case it proves to be so with you too, I'd suggest possibly taking a white noise machine (there is a good one available on Amazon, the Lectrofan,  for not much cost) for sleep or quiet time. This works very well for me, whereas ear-plugs seem pretty useless in comparison.  On the "bright" side, if you do decide to play some music late at night, you can offer your neighbours the use of the noise machine beforehand! 🙂 

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions it is much appreciated and after reading from other sources that there also could be a noise issue of even hearing people chatting or the TV we decided to call our TA with our concerns. As we were fairly late in booking and perhaps just a UK offer we didn’t have a choice to pick our cabin at the regular suite level. It was GTY V4 or better as the main option. It took a couple of days for SB to get back to us but we’ve moved from the V6 to a V5 a few decks down and are happy.   

Thanks again. 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:56 PM, galeforce9 said:

Well I’ve just been allocated an interconnecting suite and am happy. The other suite has been allocated to our travelling companions.  

Your travelling companions aren't that happy and will be barricading the door forthwith.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, BalbTheSailor said:

Your travelling companions aren't that happy and will be barricading the door forthwith.

Have a wonderful cruise all of you.  Looking forward to hearing all about it. But we don't want to hear any tales of disputes about noise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1