Flight out of San Juan not until 5:00 pm

Australia08

I am using Viking Air and just received the info that my flight back to ATL is not until 5:06 pm .  Does Viking just dump you at the airport to sit all day??  I am assuming will be required to be off the ship by 9:30 am at the latest. If anyone has had a similar situation, I'd be interested to know what happens.

30 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

I am using Viking Air and just received the info that my flight back to ATL is not until 5:06 pm .  Does Viking just dump you at the airport to sit all day??  I am assuming will be required to be off the ship by 9:30 am at the latest. If anyone has had a similar situation, I'd be interested to know what happens.

The Sheraton Old San Juan across the street from the docks will hold your luggage for a nominal fee. They can have day rooms for rent if not too busy. Spend the day in Old San Juan.

I do not know if still available post-hurricane, but on two occasions we stored our luggage at a restaurant in Old San Juan called Barrachini (or something like that - check the CC San Juan boards and the web).  No need to eat there, but it looks nice.  We tipped the young man.  Took a taxi there, but were not docked downtown, where Viking docks I believe.  Easy to kill time with a nice walk, lunch, etc, and cabs readily available down the block.

We flew out of San Juan in 2018, late afternoon flight like yours. At 9:30, the ship allowed us to clear customs, kept our passports, gave us a day pass and allowed us to return to the ship with our hand luggage. We spent time relaxing in the Explorer’s Lounge, watching the new passengers begin to arrive. Had lunch at the pool grill, and were transferred to the airport about 12:30.

On our trip last month that ended in San Juan, Viking had reserved a large room for people to hang out at the Sheraton. We were staying over a couple nights and did not use this, however a couple we met and totally enjoyed spending time with on the cruise shared this information with me. She said it was nice to have that rather than hanging at the airport. I don’t have any other details nor do I know if this is now SOP. 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, Lotusgirl22 said:

I do not know if still available post-hurricane, but on two occasions we stored our luggage at a restaurant in Old San Juan called Barrachini (or something like that - check the CC San Juan boards and the web).  No need to eat there, but it looks nice.  We tipped the young man.  Took a taxi there, but were not docked downtown, where Viking docks I believe.  Easy to kill time with a nice walk, lunch, etc, and cabs readily available down the block.

Barrachina actually is a great place to have lunch.

We usually order a bunch of appetizers - tapas style - to sample the local fare. Drinks there are also very good. 

After lunch it’s a pleasant walk to the fort or local shops, including high-end stores if you want something special. There’s also a scenic walkway along the water if you want to stretch your legs.

• 2 weeks later...

Last January we had the same issue but hadn't used Viking transfer  I had written to them and had an email that we could stay on board or they would hold our luggage.  When I asked on board, they said NO.  They put people who had paid transfers in a hospitality suite at the Sheraton across the street. They offered us that option only if we would pay the $100 for a transfer.   We used the Sheraton to hold our luggage and just tipped appropriately.  Be aware that if your departure day is a Monday, alot of the restaurants will be closed