Safe & Reputable Tour Guide Suggestions

Markmom18

Hi,

I've been gathering information for my solo March 2020 Carnival Glory cruise.  Going by myself definitely makes shore excursions to places like Belize more challenging.  I don't Snorkel or zipline and I no longer drink alcohol (so no sitting at Bars by the Port). I'm a 62 year old female.

I was last in Belize in Feb 2018 on the Carnival Freedom with my husband, Mom & friends. And our son, {who is a Carnival Fun Squad member} though he had to work onboard.  So, while my hubby & friends went snorkeling. Myself, my Mom & a girlfriend walked out of the Belize Port into Belize City. Yeah. After walking around, not at all impressed and feeling not too safe. We got to an area with a Tourist Police officer. She said the men in the cars asking us to take their Taxi rides were safe. So, while standing next to her, we piled into a Taxi.  We ended up with a great man, who seemed to know all the local spots & the history. Wasn't the greatest Port Day, but had a pleasant enough time.

Now, I have gone over the Carnival Excursions so many times. Absolutely nothing is saying "go here!" 😊  I just don't have any ideas because I frankly feel kinda intimidated exploring Belize by myself.  

I could really use some guidance & suggestions for a safe enjoyable day. 

Thank You,

🌻🌻

Bobbi 

I highly recommend doing a cruise excursion since you are solo.  It just makes it all worry free.  The Mayan ruin tours are ALL fantastic.  We just did the Lamanai ruins tour in Sept and it was amazing!  If you want to see the real country of Belize and learn about its history and culture, do a ruins tour.  We did the Xunantunich tour a few years back, same thing, amazing day and fabulous tour guides.  Belize is one of my favorite ports.  

Belize City is not a tourist city, BTW.  It is a real working city, nothing more.  Doing a tour of town is a waste, IMHO.  Get out and see the country.

If you don't wan to do that, then look at Coral Breeze tours over to Caye Caulker for the day.  

• Like 1

Call it a "Fun Day at Port", book a spa treatment.  Enjoy an empty ship.

Or follow ABQrobin's suggestion on Caye Caulker.  Reach out to your roll call or FB group and find someone or some others wanting to do the same thing.  Make new friends. Enjoy yourself.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 1

I would contact King David Castillo. He will have many different suggestions for tours. Our group of 7 adults toured Altun Ha Mayan Ruins with him. We can't wait to go back and see some more of his great country with him.  https://www.altournativebelizeservices.com/ He is number one on Tripadvisor, but since he doesn't have a US bank account, you can't book through Tripadvisor. You can also contact him via his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/kingdavidbelizetours

Another thought, are you hooked up with your sailing like on FB or even here on CC? Maybe when you contact David, you can start a group and go with some of your other ship mates? Ask him what his favorite tour is. We will be doing that one next time!

• Like 2

Hi,

Boy thank you for responding so quickly, & some terrific suggestions too!  I will be looking into each one. 🙂🙂🙂

So far I'm the only one on my Roll Call. I didn't see any for my cruise date, so I made one. But, I'll go back & double check if I missed an original R.C

🌻🌻

Bobbi 

47 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

Boy thank you for responding so quickly, & some terrific suggestions too!  I will be looking into each one. 🙂🙂🙂

So far I'm the only one on my Roll Call. I didn't see any for my cruise date, so I made one. But, I'll go back & double check if I missed an original R.C

🌻🌻

Bobbi 

The roll calls around here are sometimes pretty dead. Check the other sights. I have had good luck with the most popular social media one myself.

I just googled roll call X ship Y date (eg: Carnival Conquest January 18, 2020 roll call). Several sights came up. The roll calls can be fun to get hooked up with. Sometimes a bit of drama once on board, but we did find a great private tour to join when we did our Panama Canal Cruise and stopped in Colombia. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Familyoutdoors,

I'll take a look over at FB, guessing that's the social media site ?? 😁😁.  

I know I'm super sensitive to being an unwanted "5th Wheel" to anyone's vacation!  We ALL work so hard to get the cash to spend that vacay time with our loved ones, and I totally respect & "get it", to have somebody add themselves on to the cruise vacation.

I went on my very 1st solo last March on the Dream. But, our son was working onboard, so I didn't feel alone. I enjoy Trivia a lot 🤗🤗 and would join a Team if I was invited. Definitely talk to other cruisers, but again, careful not to be some nerdy & needy 'old lady. Yikes!! 

So, I think I'll head over & see if there's a Roll Call for my cruise ....

Thank You,

Bobbi

11 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi Familyoutdoors,

I'll take a look over at FB, guessing that's the social media site ?? 😁😁.  

I know I'm super sensitive to being an unwanted "5th Wheel" to anyone's vacation!  We ALL work so hard to get the cash to spend that vacay time with our loved ones, and I totally respect & "get it", to have somebody add themselves on to the cruise vacation.

I went on my very 1st solo last March on the Dream. But, our son was working onboard, so I didn't feel alone. I enjoy Trivia a lot 🤗🤗 and would join a Team if I was invited. Definitely talk to other cruisers, but again, careful not to be some nerdy & needy 'old lady. Yikes!! 

So, I think I'll head over & see if there's a Roll Call for my cruise ....

Thank You,

Bobbi

Although I have never cruise alone, I am sure there are many who prefer to do it that way. Joining a group tour the more the merrier!

52 minutes ago, familyoutdoors said:

Although I have never cruise alone, I am sure there are many who prefer to do it that way. Joining a group tour the more the merrier!

Yes, I agree with more 'da better on Group Tours.  I was thinking about ON the Ship itself, not wanting to barge in on a  families vacation time. ☺️

23 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Yes, I agree with more 'da better on Group Tours.  I was thinking about ON the Ship itself, not wanting to barge in on a  families vacation time. ☺️

When a roll call for example offers to share their tour, it saves everyone a bit of cash, and sometimes people even come away as friends. It is not barging in on private/family time. If they didn't want to meet others or save money, they would not offer it up. If you feel more comfortable doing a ship sponsored tour, by all means follow your heart! Happy sailing.

1 hour ago, familyoutdoors said:

When a roll call for example offers to share their tour, it saves everyone a bit of cash, and sometimes people even come away as friends. It is not barging in on private/family time. If they didn't want to meet others or save money, they would not offer it up. If you feel more comfortable doing a ship sponsored tour, by all means follow your heart! Happy sailing.

Hi,

There is no one on my Roll Call. I started the Roll Call for my cruise here on CC. And have shared my info on the Excursion (with Bodden Tours) that I am taking, on the official Roll Call. 🙂🙂 So, nope nobody offered it up to me.

Of course, if my Roll Call group (assuming other cruisers will join) asked if anyone wants to join in on an excursion, I have no problem joining.

I just meant that I don't want to interfere with other families vacation onboard the ship itself. Sorry about intertwining my 2 separate concerns. For example, I wouldn't presume to invite myself to be part of another family's group while playing Trivia in the ship's lounge. If folks want you to join in, they ask.

Hope this clears up my comments.

🌻🌻

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

No worries. I guess it was me who wasn't understanding. If you still want to go on an excursion by yourself, by all means do it. We had a great time there. I could never imagine going to a port and staying on the ship. Please consider getting off and doing some sort of excursion whether it ship or private, but by all means enjoy your vacation!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 7:52 PM, Markmom18 said:

I will do something in Port. 😁😁 Staying on the ship? Nope, we have 3 sea days as it is, that's plenty. 

🌻🌻

Bobbi

there is nothing to do in port other than shop.  

9 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

there is nothing to do in port other than shop.  

Yeah, I give up. I just don't see any excursions that interest me. So, just will stay onboard .... unless I change my mind once I'm onboard! 😁🛳