Cabin A317 on Aurora.

Lottie A

I have just been allocated this deck 11 OV cabin on a GTY basis for my upcoming Aurora cruise. It is very far aft and seems to be right next to the doors out to the tiered aft decks. Has anyone stayed in this cabin and knows the pro's and con's please? It may be nice to just pop out to the deck.... but I'm hoping that the smoking area is not very near me on deck 11! I'm not sure what my sea view will be either. Thanks very much for any help. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have stayed in an equivalent cabin on Oriana, which was Aurora's sister ship. The good news is that it was great for accessing the rear decks and buffet one floor above. The bad news is that smokers tended to congregate near the exit. Also, some passengers repeatedly let exit the door slam. Those complaints aside, we were happy with the location and thought the advantages outweighed the disadvantages.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, Lottie A said:

I have just been allocated this deck 11 OV cabin on a GTY basis for my upcoming Aurora cruise. It is very far aft and seems to be right next to the doors out to the tiered aft decks. Has anyone stayed in this cabin and knows the pro's and con's please? It may be nice to just pop out to the deck.... but I'm hoping that the smoking area is not very near me on deck 11! I'm not sure what my sea view will be either. Thanks very much for any help. 

I'm sure you will be fine - deck 11 is my favourite so to me that would be the perfect position!  There is no smoking on deck 11 so no need to worry about that and the doors will have dampers fitted and don't slam.

You are in the perfect place to take a glass of something out on the deck before dinner (that's what we do) and sit at one of the tables or recliner chairs and have a perfect view from the back of the ship.  The only slight noise there may be is if people drag the chairs around.

Are you on the cruise leaving 4th Jan?  We are and have just been allocated a cabin on A deck but it's at the front, whilst I am very happy with that I'd have preferred the back.😎

4 hours ago, Waju said:

I'm sure you will be fine - deck 11 is my favourite so to me that would be the perfect position!  There is no smoking on deck 11 so no need to worry about that and the doors will have dampers fitted and don't slam.

You are in the perfect place to take a glass of something out on the deck before dinner (that's what we do) and sit at one of the tables or recliner chairs and have a perfect view from the back of the ship.  The only slight noise there may be is if people drag the chairs around.

Are you on the cruise leaving 4th Jan?  We are and have just been allocated a cabin on A deck but it's at the front, whilst I am very happy with that I'd have preferred the back.😎

Thoughts on my cabin A317 now I am back from my cruise. 
Positives were the excellent location on Deck 11. The last cabin at the back and next to the door out onto the tiered aft Deck on 11. Access to it took four steps. Very near the aft lifts and so convenient for everything....except the Curzon Theatre of ourse! 

Cabin was a slightly odd shape with the door to the bathroom being next to the bed, plenty of storage space and at night it was very quiet. Bed seemed new and was very comfortable. It was fine for a solo guest but I think space would be limited for two people. My steward said he had only ever known it to be occupied by a solo passenger. It was fine by me as I had a male friend onboard who was in a big suite so I “squatted out” in his suite sometimes during the day. 😄

Negatives were the window...no sea view as you could just see the table and chairs on Deck 11 directly outside your window. People passing by could see right into the cabin even when the net curtains were across. I had to keep my proper curtains closed at all times and this made the cabin dark. If it had been a warm weather cruise I can imagine it would have been very noisy with passengers sat chatting directly outside the cabin window both day and night. As it was too cold to sit out there for long on this Amsterdam cruise I was OK with the small amount of noise this time. P&O need to remove the table and chairs right outside this cabin window though. 
Would I choose this cabin again? Probably not as keeping the curtains closed made it so dark inside the cabin and it would be noisy and not at all private on a warm weather cruise. I would certainly choose one of the more traditional layout OV or balcony cabins at the aft on Deck 11 though ....such a great location. 

None of this in any way spoiled my cruise though....we had such a good time on lovely Aurora. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Positives were the excellent location on Deck 11. The last cabin at the back and next to the door out onto the tiered aft Deck on 11. Access to it took four steps. Very near the aft lifts and so convenient for everything....except the Curzon Theatre of ourse! 

Cabin was a slightly odd shape with the door to the bathroom being next to the bed, plenty of storage space and at night it was very quiet. Bed seemed new and was very comfortable. It was fine for a solo guest but I think space would be limited for two people. My steward said he had only ever known it to be occupied by a solo passenger. It was fine by me as I had a male friend onboard who was in a big suite so I “squatted out” in his suite sometimes during the day. 😄

Negatives were the window...no sea view as you could just see the table and chairs on Deck 11 directly outside your window. People passing by could see right into the cabin even when the net curtains were across. I had to keep my proper curtains closed at all times and this made the cabin dark. If it had been a warm weather cruise I can imagine it would have been very noisy with passengers sat chatting directly outside the cabin window both day and night. As it was too cold to sit out there for long on this Amsterdam cruise I was OK with the small amount of noise this time. P&O need to remove the table and chairs right outside this cabin window though. 
Would I choose this cabin again? Probably not as keeping the curtains closed made it so dark inside the cabin and it would be noisy and not at all private on a warm weather cruise. I would certainly choose one of the more traditional layout OV or balcony cabins at the aft on Deck 11 though ....such a great location. 

None of this in any way spoiled my cruise though....we had such a good time on lovely Aurora. 

You are right about the beds being new. 

When we got off in June, our cabin steward was gearing up for all the beds to be changed on A deck. 

Shame about having to keep your curtains closed but glad it didn't spoil your holiday. 

Thank you for reporting back, valuable feedback for anyone looking to book. 

Andy 

8 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Read this, and moved from cabin in a similar position today, on a booked future cruise, also saved a staggering amount from when we first booked, was unaware before your post.Thank you

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Read this, and moved from cabin in a similar position today, on a booked future cruise, also saved a staggering amount from when we first booked, was unaware before your post.Thank you

You are very welcome mercury7289. Hope you have a lovely cruise on the beautiful Aurora. She really is a great ship. 

9 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

You are very welcome mercury7289. Hope you have a lovely cruise on the beautiful Aurora. She really is a great ship. 

Yes we agree.

Have been on her 4 times, always in a balcony, aft on A deck.

Only ever had sea view cabins on Oriana.

This cruise that we are booked on may be a bit windy and chilly which is why we opted for sea view.

Was concerned from the outset about the location that we had agreed to, which was A309, no brainer after your post, to cancel and re book.

As I said staggering reduction.

The deal changer for us was the closed curtain requirement for privacy.

Not for us!

Need Light.

So again thank you.