and frequent travelers w. perks...a small discount,

gifts, parties, a special event. But when I read rssc"s

proposal for tiered lvels of free pressing. liquor, canapes,

phone & computer time.......I wonder if they aren't well

on their way to making difference 'classes' of pax. Does

anyone else feel the same way? Their new program seems

significantly different from those of other lines that grant

credit or upgrades....but don't position people among

you saying on I don;t have to pay for that.

I think their new program was rolled out before they ironed out the kinks and has produced more questions and confusion then any loyality problem I've ever seen unveiled before. Nothing to write home about either unless you have made top tier and even then it's no great shakes as far as benefits go.

Pat

I agree with Pat on the "no great shakes" thing, and I am a Gold member. I guess for me, the best thing is free pressing and free internet, as I use both services, and will really do so more in the future, provided the internet service is available (given the waits for computers on my recent cruises for those of us who were paying for this) Not sure what they mean about "Gold" events on or offshore. If excursions, that may mean a special excursion in port, much like many already get if they are with a group like Virtuoso. Interested to hear more on this. I don't normally attend the cocktail parties.

I think the greatest thing we have lost, all of us past cruisers, is the automatic 5% discount on future cruises once you have sailed even once. That bothers me, as it amounted to real savings, and a real incentive to continue booking. I hope next they will not do away with the onboard booking discount, or limit it to certain cruises.

Once, and if, all-inclusive comes into play for everyone, it will be interesting to see what other incentives there are to reach Platinum level. I think free cruises of a certain duration are in order, much like the program on other luxury lines.

I hadn't heard about the new benefits. I'm excited about those enhancements for I have paid way too much on internet and laundry on past trips. Yipee, hope it takes affect by June.:)

jax, once you have about 24 days, you get free internet. For free pressing, it takes 75 days cruising. Go to their webdsite and then click on the upper far right Seven Seas Society to learn more. You SHOULD have something in the mail by now about this if you qualify.

I know that I have the 24 days and might even have the 75 days. I never hear from Radisson and assumed that is the way they do business. Booked this summer RSSC trip from info my travel agent had:confused: . Guess I had better investigate.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on rec.travel.cruises and talking in a thread about my two SS cruises and got a reply from a 500 Day SS cruiser. His next 14 day cruise is free. I do not know where SS tosses in the free cruises but that is a lot better than the $100 opening bid at the art sell :D

I have to agree that the entire new SS program could be better. It is particularly deficient at the basic level for those with under 20 nights. At that level, it would seem to provide only vague benefits --- in light of the fact that the former benefit of 5% off on ANY cruise has been changed to "selected cruises". This simply isn't going to "hook" a first time cruiser on this line, the way the old program did.

The Silver level (21 to 74 nights) and Gold level (74 to 199 nights) do provide some substantial benefits, such as free internet, telephone,and pressing that could be better than the old program, for some.

But the Platinum level (200+ nights) isn't enough for repeaters at this level. It features "complementary alcohol" which, I hear, is supposed to be available to all cruisers starting in '07. So, where's the benefit?

And, the benefits for all levels include too many vague things, subject to change in value at the whim of the line, such as "exclusive event", "membership in advisory panel", "priority reservations" "upgrade referral opportunities", "spa certificate with purchase of spa treatment" (certificate for what?) "priority disembarkation at 'select' ports" "selected by whom?), and the infamous free $100 bid at the art auction.

To make things more vague, it seems that all too many past cruisers have not even been sent notification of this program.

Here's a "fearless prediction." In two years all this will be changed, and we'll look back on it as we do the '04 Diamond cancellation fiasco ---A BIG MISTAKE.

Thanks,

Richard

Contrary to what someone said above, I believe you get free pressing on formal and informal nights at the silver level. We're silver, and probably will be forever :o . I will appreciate the internet time, the pressing once in a while, and it's nice to know if I need to use the phone for an emergency, an hour of time is free.

Wendy:

You are correct. Free pressing on fomal and informal nights for "Silver". Looks like I'm in the minority, as I have actually received my SS program notification letter. Looks like "Gold" gets free pressing anytime, though this whole program is so vague, I wouldn't swear to anything.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, while I agree the program doesn't provide a real incentive for Platinum members, (and I have stated my other concerns) I would think they are going to tweak things as they go along to meet the competition with things like free cruises, at least I hope so. For Gold, nothing vague about "Complimentary Pressing" That's about as clear as you can get. I sure hope you like Silversea on your upcoming cruise, as lately you seem to be, well, questioning RSSC's policies at every turn. At some point, like you said (somewhere!) you just need to get to a new line to try it! I did that so I could see for myself! I enjoyed my one Silversea Cruise, and hope you will too!

No, jhp, I really have not turned "anti Radisson". Perhaps you haven't seen some of my recent "pro Radisson" posts, when the subject matter of the thread leads me to compliment Radisson on that subject. But this subject isn't one of them.

I just cringe when I see management of any corporation "throwing away a good thing." We racked up 77 nights in four years on Radisson, the way it was. We'd been cruising since 1992, but had only maybe 28 nights at sea before discovering Radisson. So, Radisson was such a good deal for the prices they charged in the past, and had so many benefits, we not only switched to them exclusively, but we also geometrically increased our days per year at sea. And you and I and many others posted about how great a deal it was, and became Radisson's unofficial advertising agency. And rightly so.

That was then. Up to just a few months ago. Now, for the future, I find Radisson's traditional "price advantage", which made them less costly than other lux lines and attracted me (and perhaps you?) in the first place to be fading fast. I find that a simple means of attracting repeaters, via the fixed SS Society and onboard discounts is being restricted and made more complex. Just because we happen to be Gold Members, and therefore have greater benefits than before (IMO) does not keep me from noticing that the basic SS members aren't getting a good deal. And it doesn't keep me from noticing that the Platinum members would be doing a lot better if they were at the same level on Silversea or Seabourn. And, a lot of new SSS benefits, you'll have to admit, are somewhat vague and nebulous.

I await my first "Seven Seas Advisory Board" invitation to participate (should I live that long). I've got a few things to say that I shouldn't say here.

Is this post a little too dramatic? Sure it is. The more you like something, the more you don't want to see it ruined. And I have truely liked Radisson, and that is an understatement. Would I like to cruise Radisson again, the way it has been? Absolutely. Do I want to cruise it if it continues to grow more over-priced and "under benefited"? I doubt it.

Anybody who thinks this post is overly harsh on Radisson should read some of my letters to management at GM and Ford (in which I am a stockholder), criticizing those corporations for their product direction, which totally ignores the established desires of the US market concerning features and pricing on "near lux level" automobiles. I'd copy them here, but they are much more "nasty" than anything I've said about Radisson, and they are clearly off topic here.

I have really been a "believer" in the Radisson advantage in cost/value in the past. I'm just more than a bit dissappointed in them for their apparent direction at the moment. Maybe history will prove me wrong. I sure hope so!

Thanks,

Richard

Richard, I appreciate your comments. It appears to me that, since you discount the real value of the Gold pax benefit as minimal, as I do, that your real beef is with pricing. I have repeatedly said that the worst thing that went away was the automatic 5% discount for ALL past passengers. Stand by that in agreement with you. The benefits that I will use as a "gold" are not vague and nebulous, except for the excusive on or off-board special events.. I will get free pressing and free internet, period. Don't care about the other stuff. I abhor the thought of the line separating anyone apart for priority booking for either spa or alternative restaurants. We are only getting a guarantee for one of each (Not a big deal, everyone can get this, just maybe not the night/tiime you have as first choice). I will use a 2 for one spa certificate if it is available. It is up to all of us to find an itinerary we like, and shop the lines for prices. Sometimes, RSSC is a deal, and no it is no longer always the best deal for the same thing as Silversea, and I applaud that line for getting into attracting new clients like it did me!

I always read all of your posts, so yes, I have read your good comments about your past cruises, and your satisfaction with the line, as well as your questions and comments on pricing, listing of Navigator, vibrations, all-inclusive issues, you name it! That's why I am eager to hear what you have to say about your NEXT cruise! I'm sure you will love it!

jhp:

A bit off topic in a short post here. Perhaps you missed my reply post on Radisson food. I basically said it was the best I had ever experienced on sea or land. And probably like you, I have dined at highly rated land restaurants on land in the US and many other countries, as well as on several cruise lines. Also, on the topic of onboard service, I have said that Radisson is top notch (less a few minor glitches not worth mentioning). I stick by those evaluations.

Thanks,

Richard

The way I see it, this new SSS program is all about cutting costs. The benefits that they are now bestowing will cost them less than either the 5% discount, or free cruises, across all levels. They'll still get you onboard, paying for your cruise, and you may or may not use any of the benefits. Not everyone will have a need for free pressing -- I would use it very little. I'm sure I would use the free internet, but really, how much is that going to cost them? Most people don't want to spend hours of their vacation on the computer! As for the events, well I'm still very curious what the onshore events might be, as there hasn't been a description of that anywhere, at least that I could find, so I do find that nebulous. As for the included alcohol, we all know how little that really costs them. Same thing for the cocktail parties.

Whereas discounts and actual free cruises -- those are lost revenue. So I think it's all fluff and no substance!

But then I've got a ways to go before I hit gold. I'll be silver after November. So I don't get much.

LeeAnne

With the advances in technology and the drop in prices the cost to Radisson for the free internet and telephone is really almost pennies. If an individual was to, for example, purchase the Connexion system (the same one being installed in aircraft) it would cost about $2,800 a month for 2000 satellite internet minutes and 100 satellite talk minutes plus 4 24/7 satellite television channels. That comes out to $0.75 per minute...without factoring in the TV charges. Obviously addition time costs more and there are other flat rate programs which reduce the per minute cost substantially.

Therefore, if you were to spend 1 hour online and one hour on the phone, the cost would be about $90.00...on the most expensive plan (one which I am sure RSSC is not using, so its costs are actually much less). And remember the benefits go by suite, not individual member. The 5% discount is equal to $500+.

Another aspect and problem of the new SSS program is that apparently many SSS members still have not received their letter on this program from Radisson. I received mine well over a month ago. Mine contained a free one-category upgrade certificate on selected, listed cruises. And, the certificate I received expires, today, Feb 15, 2006! If anybody receives exactly the same package as I received after today, they may find that one of their SSS benefits is an EXPIRED upgrade certificate.

Thanks,

Richard

Y'know, I should toss out here that I'm not so sure how much the phone allowances are worth, no matter how much they cost Rad...because when I had an emergency on Voyager, they let me call home for free! What happened was, I got an email that seemed to say that a friend of mine, April, had passed away, which totally freaked out because I had no idea that April was ill! I was absolutely distraught and inconsolable. The kind young man who ran the computer room took me into his office and allowed me to call my husband, who explained to me that it was a different April, one I knew only casually. So while it was sad, I was quite relived it wasn't my wonderful friend, and I was able to continue my cruise without a broken heart.

So it seems to me that in the event of an emergency, you're probably going to be able to call home for free anyway!

Not sure if this is a diss or compliment to Radisson...but heck I wouldn't want to lose my status as a cheerleader, so I'll say it's a compliment. :D

LeeAnne

I suspect free phone time will be of real value only to those with special circumstances. I have such a circumstance, as both my parents are in their 90's and Mom is in a rest home and in pretty poor health. People like me like to "check in on them" even if we have not been notified of an emergency. As is pointed out above, the cost to the line for phone time is minimal, but the charge per minute to the guests has always been pretty high, as ships have used the phone as a "profit center". But with the internet and such, the ship's phone has become a "failed profit center" because few guests use it! So it is a "natural" for use as a promotion through SSS. It is good, but not as god as 5% off on all cruises.

Thanks,

Richard

Archived