Help ith tours offered by RCL

nelblu

First time in Roatan and to be safe, looking at a couple of tours offered by RCL.  We will be a party of 9 of which there are 3 children and would appreciate andy help/feedback.

Tabyana Beach Break.

Maya Key Private Island Retreat.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

First time in Roatan and to be safe, looking at a couple of tours offered by RCL.  We will be a party of 9 of which there are 3 children and would appreciate andy help/feedback.

Tabyana Beach Break.

Maya Key Private Island Retreat.

How old are the children and is snorkeling paramount?

I think the kids would enjoy the animals at Maya Key.  Plus it's close to port, short water taxi ride and they have kid friendly food.

Adults on the other hand might really enjoy the great beach at Tabayana,(one of the better in the Western Caribbean, IMO) whether snorkeling or just relaxing.

I'd definitely recommend visiting West Bay.  It's absolutely stunning with amazingly clear water and fabulous snorkeling(walk far left facing the ocean).  However, I'd never go with a ship tour.  You will be packed in a van or bus and have to adhere to a strict schedule.  If it pours down rain - too bad, you are at the beach for X number of hours.  If it is a gorgeous day and you are having a great time - too bad, it's time to load up and head back to the port.  See something interesting along the way - too bad, no time to stop for photos.  Roatan is not a place I consider dangerous at all.  We have visited at least 10-15 times on cruise stops and have spent time at a resort in West Bay.  We have never felt in danger in the least.  We have become friends with Rony of Ronystours.com.  He is well known and respected on the island.  He has nice vehicles and great drivers.  I can 100% recommend him as a guide for your day. 

The type of tour you chose will make a HUGE difference in how you enjoy your day.  He offers a very inexpensive(compared to the cruise excursion prices) "private" tour that would be perfect for your group.  You can visit a monkey/sloth park. We cruise often(65 cruises and counting) and have been on 100's of excursions.  If you read my posts, you will see that I have only 4 or 5 tours/guides that I recommend regularly.  I only recommend a very few that we have used several to many times.  With these, we have always been comfortable and felt extremely safe, without exception.  We've consistently had a spectacular day!  

For ease and convenience I prefer Maya Key - 5 minute boat ride directly from the pier and usually options for time of return.

I have been to West Bay but I haven’t actually been to Tabyana. Unless you are wanting to snorkel the ride there and back, the crowds and the vendors ( not sure if they are allowed into Tabyana since it is cruise ship only) put me off returning to West Bay.

It has been a few years since we were at Maya Key but as Crew says there are some animals, as well as a pool, beach (not as nice as West Bay) room to walk around and no vendors.