Booking a cruise directly with MSC - any benefit?

kj_connections

22 hours ago, kj_connections said:

Thanks everyone.  If anyone has a TA in Canada they'd recommend that's cheaper than the online price please send me a PM.  The MSC canada website doesn't work...

I was having issues too and just called the Canadian toll free #. They are opened business hours Monday to Friday only though.

ALTHOUGH THIS DOESN'T SEEM TO MAKE SENSE....

I loved the YC cabin we were in last month.  We have never booked through directly with the cruiseline, so while onboard, I went to my internet TAs site and held the same cabin for next September.

That offer came with free gratuities and $625. OBC.

I later went to see the booking agent onboard because I had a question. She said to let her handle the booking and she would give me an additional $200. OBC AND I would be able to keep my agent.

I was really skeptical but let her do it. She used the booking number I had held the cabin in and did some things in the computer.

I had to sign a paper allowing her to do this.

The booking number changed but everything stayed the same but showing an additional $200. OBC from MSC.

When I got home I called the internet agency and they said it was all there and they still had the booking.

Made no sense to me ....but I sure would do that again !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shippy said:

I loved the YC cabin we were in last month.  We have never booked through directly with the cruiseline, so while onboard, I went to my internet TAs site and held the same cabin for next September.

I later went to see the booking agent onboard because I had a question. She said to let her handle the booking and she would give me an additional $200. OBC AND I would be able to keep my agent.

I was really skeptical but let her do it. She used the booking number I had held the cabin in and did some things in the computer.

The booking number changed but everything stayed the same but showing an additional $200. OBC from MSC.

When I got home I called the internet agency and they said it was all there and they still had the booking.

WOW! I would be so nervous, so did you get a better price for the room from the online agency or was it the same price as MSC was offering? I ask because when i was on seaside I showed the onboard future cruise agent the website I use to book where it showed the SAME cruise and cabin for $600 cheaper than what MSC was selling it for. The MSC onboard rep literally looked at me and said I can't match that. Book with them!!! She didnt even try.

Edited by floridian1

6 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

After 40 cruises, I find that I know a lot more than most TA's.  I hate booking through a TA because I do not like trying to get a hold of the agent, waiting for them to call back, waiting for them to take care of a problem, etc when all of this can be done directly with the cruise line if I book through the cruise line.   There is nothing worse than getting a TA and having to tell them how to do their job.  Been there and done that. 

Everyone has different experiences. With your experience posted in the above quote, I probably would not use a TA either. Mine is fantastic. She is knowledgeable, has provided great advice, if we do not get through to her immediately a call is returned within minutes, always has additional perks for us, etc.  We also have done nearly 40 cruises and travel at least 12 weeks a year... nearly 90% of which she arranges. We throw out an idea, she works on it and gets back to us with itinerary suggestions. Could never do this on my own. In Ontario, Canada, TAs must pass a provincial exam and be licensed. I know in the USA that is not the case everywhere. Don't know the professional requirements for a TA where you live, but with that kind of service (or lack thereof), a TA here would not last very long and I can understand why you feel the way you do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

Actually, makes a lot of sense. We often book our next cruise onboard. We get an immediate OBC for the cruise we are on and a credit for the next one. The booking stays with our travel agent who then services our account. Win / Win!!!

2 hours ago, cynalan said:

Everyone has different experiences. With your experience posted in the above quote, I probably would not use a TA either. Mine is fantastic. She is knowledgeable, has provided great advice, if we do not get through to her immediately a call is returned within minutes, always has additional perks for us, etc.  We also have done nearly 40 cruises and travel at least 12 weeks a year... nearly 90% of which she arranges. We throw out an idea, she works on it and gets back to us with itinerary suggestions. Could never do this on my own. In Ontario, Canada, TAs must pass a provincial exam and be licensed. I know in the USA that is not the case everywhere. Don't know the professional requirements for a TA where you live, but with that kind of service (or lack thereof), a TA here would not last very long and I can understand why you feel the way you do.

We similarly are blessed with an excellent professional travel agent, who is also a personal friend (as well as being an MSC passenger and poster here on CC). I can't speak badly for MSC's customer service because I've never had a problem. I would just say that cruisers who insist on doing it on their own are running the risk of having to deal with long wait times, confusing and/or inconsistent information and booking snafus. Of course, I'm not saying such people are to blame, only that if you decide to go it alone, it can be very irritating. Personally, I have way better things to do with my time. I have to pick my battles and call centers aren't one of them.

We booked our first 2 MSC cruises with a TA. Every time we needed to make a change or ask a question we were on hold waiting for the TA and then always on hold for a minimum of 40 minutes while the TA tried to talk with MSC. We have booked our next 5 cruises directly with MSC and it has been so easy! Customer service has been very efficient and, hope I don’t jinx myself, we’ve had no problems other than the horrid music they play if you are placed on hold! Thankfully, they have never placed me on hold for more than a minute or 2.  😌 If a TA had a great incentive, I would use them. It would have to be high enough to pay me for the time I spend waiting during the booking process, though.