Current situation with boarding in St. Maarten

jongbj

For our cruise in 10 days, starting in St. Maarten, Seabourn just send us this, somewhat troubling, information:

For guests embarking Seabourn Odyssey in Philipsburg, St. Maarten, please be advised that due to damage sustained during Hurricane Irma, facilities and services at the airport and pier may be limited. Current embarkation procedures at the pier are being conducted at a tent structure, which has seating but no services are available. In order to avoid lengthy wait times shoreside,
we suggest arriving to the port after 12:30 PM, once we have begun boarding. Please also note that porters are only available at the pier until 6:00 PM and all guests must complete Immigration clearance by 9:00 PM. Seabourn Odyssey is scheduled to sail at 11:00 PM. We thank you for your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

I can't find much on the internet on the current situation, except that the new airport terminal should be finished and in use. From google I find hardly any pictures on the port situation, but what I see gives me the impression it may not be as bad as Seabourn is indicating. 

But I'd rather be certain as we are taking my semi-disabled father (and mother) and are supposed to leave our hotel room at 11AM. 

My original plan was to 'shop' at the port shops for the time between getting to the port and being allowed on board. But if there're nothing there, I need to reevaluate. 

So, my question: Could anyone share some recent pictures/overview of the current port situation. 

• Thanks 1

I can't help to answer your question but I can see how this is concerning for you under the circumstances.

That information from SB sounds word for word like the warning sent out by SB in 2017 just after the hurricane. I know that the island was horribly devastated but surely after 2 years the situation must have improved even a little?

I understand that the airport is rather chaotic still but don't know how the situation in the port is. 

Hopefully someone who has boarded there recently will be along to help. Our cruise calls there (well, at Marigot) but it's in December so too late to be helpful for you. 

3 hours ago, jongbj said:

I can't find much on the internet on the current situation, except that the new airport terminal should be finished and in use. From google I find hardly any pictures on the port situation, but what I see gives me the impression it may not be as bad as Seabourn is indicating. 

I also cant provide you specific information on this terminal-- the last time I was on Seabourn we called at Marigot as well. But what I can say is that I have boarded Seabourn in many ports with little or no port facilities and they are pretty good at it (most likely helped by the size of ship). Often times this tent is a smaller tent in case of rain to make sure luggage stays dry. You are checked off a list, you sign a waiver saying you aren't sick, and then sent directly onto the ship to be checked in onboard in the lounge rather than completing this in a terminal or tent. Will this happen with yours? Can't say-- but thats the Seabourn procedure in places that don't have dockside facilities and I cant imagine why they wouldn't use it if the port facilities are as bad as they say they are. 

3 hours ago, jongbj said:

But I'd rather be certain as we are taking my semi-disabled father (and mother) and are supposed to leave our hotel room at 11AM. 

My original plan was to 'shop' at the port shops for the time between getting to the port and being allowed on board. But if there're nothing there, I need to reevaluate. 

I think it would be fair to assume in this situation it isn't worth chancing it by arriving early with someone who is mobility challenged on the off chance you can shop. Just not worth the risk that it is the way they describe it and then have no where to go. Why don't you just have a leisurely lunch at your hotel and head over at 1-130 when you know you can access the ship?

• Like 2

We were on the Encore last December over the holidays and we embarked and disembarked in Philipsburg and received a similar letter of warning prior to the cruise

This Island was devastated by the hurricane and was still in the early stages of rebuilding when we were there. The port had very few shops so would agree with the advice of others to enjoy the morning and lunch in your hotel before arriving to board the ship

It was a long walk from where you were dropped off at the port, pretty rough and ready but they did offer golf carts for those who needed help to get to the ship.

It was as bad as what Seabourn are saying and a real eye opener for us.

However, saying that we had a wonderful two weeks exploring the Caribbean islands on Seabourn and would do it all again if we didn’t have to embark or disembark in St Maarten

Edited by sydney princess
Spelling error

We just disembarked the Odyssey is St Maarten on Saturday, so I think I can give you some help.

The tent that is used for check-in and waiting area is very large and there are rows and rows of chairs. There is a little "VIP" corner with some sofas. It is located just adjacent to the transportation drop off area and within a short walk to the "port shops". 

I suspect you could wander over to the shops if you had to wait.

What I cannot speak to is how you board AFTER the tent. 

As for the airport, it is nowhere near completed. None of the jet bridges are operational, but the airport now has air conditioning throughout the temporary check-in area, immigration, and the boarding "gates". The boarding gates are located down a ramp to a waiting area where you board buses that take you to the plane and board via portable stairs.

There are restaurants, duty free, and clean restrooms. 

I think you will be fine, and I would happily tolerate the temporary boarding inconvenience for a fantastic Seabourn cruise!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information and advice, very helpful. 
We’re quite happy with the overview on the current situation, thank you for that, Cloudybay. 
We’ll probably just head to port at the hotel checkout time, drop off our luggage and see from there. 

St Maartan has a cavalier attitude to outgoing flights.

Beware as I read our experience is far from rare.

We were returning from a cruise in early January this year. The aircraft was overloaded and underfuelled. It took them two hours and several thousand dollars to buy enough volunteers off the plane to make it safe to fly to Charlotte.

We arrived in Charlotte too late for our UK connection and the next one was 24 hours later. We were billetted in a rubbish hotel overnight with a pitiful meal allowance.

How much is this can be blamed on the storm damage is anyone's guess - but be prepared to accept that if things go wrong you may find the recovery skills rather lacking.

May I ask which airline you used? We're flying with KLM directly from Amsterdam, as they have been doing that since about 4 weeks after the hurricane, I'm going to assume they know what they're doing. And since St. Maarten is part of our kingdom, we feel a bit responsible. 

Also, haven't read any KLM issues on the internet yet, but will do an additional search. 

Edited by jongbj

Maybe the only bad airline is American Airlines. We will never use them again.

KLM will be subject to the EU compensation ruling. AA avoid it - and it shows.

But certainly the airport was not fully recovered last January. Maybe another year has enabled them to sort themselves out.

Have a lovely holiday and forget about any worries.