Iona to Britannia

cjthedjeu

We are booked on Fjords cruise on Iona in June 2021 and then immediately after going on Mediterranean cruise on Britannia. While on to customer services yesterday about cabin allocation, I asked about transferring between the 2 ships. I was told that Britannia will still be in her normal berth at 46 but they are building a new terminal next to it for Iona and therefore we would not need to go far to transfer. 

Has anyone else heard of this new terminal at Southampton? Had been wondering how exactly they would manage fitting Iona and Britannia in at the same time.

As far as I know (and I am not one to have inside information), they are just extending Ocean Terminal to cope with the additional passenger numbers on Iona and her 'sister' due in 2022.  To date on the ABP website, there is no indication of more than one ship in berth 46 on any one day next year.  Hopefully there may be someone out there with more knowledge to advise you.

Iona will always dock at Ocean terminal (dock 46) as this has been upgraded to allow LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) refuelling for Iona.

When Britannia is in on the same day then she will dock at Mayflower terminal (dock 106). This is shown on the cruise schedule for next year so one would assume the same will apply in 2021.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Mayflower is over a mile from Ocean so it looks like a taxi job.

i don’t know anything definite about a new terminal being built although there have been rumours about a new one at dock 104 but obviously will not be available next year or 2021.

Brian

1 hour ago, cjthedjeu said:

We are booked on Fjords cruise on Iona in June 2021 and then immediately after going on Mediterranean cruise on Britannia. While on to customer services yesterday about cabin allocation, I asked about transferring between the 2 ships. I was told that Britannia will still be in her normal berth at 46 but they are building a new terminal next to it for Iona and therefore we would not need to go far to transfer. 

Has anyone else heard of this new terminal at Southampton? Had been wondering how exactly they would manage fitting Iona and Britannia in at the same time.

Southampton cruise ship movements are showing Iona on Ocean (46) and Britannia on Mayflower (106) on the two dates in June next year when they are both in port.

This is what I would expect and I think mentioned before.

• Like 1

There will certainly be a need for another terminal at Southampton large enough to accommodate a big cruise ship, if P&O are ever to operate Britannia, Iona and its sister at the same time of the year out of Southampton, but I doubt  it could be built at Ocean Terminal, without major reconstruction of the wharf. 

Sorry to break into the thread but regarding shipping movements for next year! it seems that "Ventura" has disappeared from the schedule after February. Any thoughts as to where she may dock? QEII perhaps.

Edited by Lynnwood
spelling

Hi Brian 

I agree and there doesn’t seem to be a problem until the Iona comes into service. On the 9th of May Iona is scheduled to dock on Ocean, on that day Britannia is on Mayflower, Silhouette is on City and the Mein Schiff is at the western docks. Ventura is also sailing on that day. A similar event occurs on the 23rd May. Ventura is due to sail also on the 23rd. It would seem that 4 large ships the Iona, Britannia and the Anthem of the Seas and the Ventura regularly dock on the same days in the early summer? The Iona needs Ocean terminal as stated earlier in the thread; Royal Caribbean and Celebrity occupy City which leaves Mayflower and the QEII

The Ventura for this coming year is undertaking 2, 7 and 12 day sailings. With all the associated quayside parking required I wondered if the QEII was the obvious choice. It would seem that the trend for schedules that begin and end on a weekend is becoming the norm where possible. We are taking Ventura on the 9th and 11th May on a B2B which is the reason I am looking at this so closely. Going to be very busy in Southampton on early summer weekends!       

1 hour ago, Lynnwood said:

...Going to be very busy in Southampton on early summer weekends!       

Indeed it is.  As I mentioned on another thread, there will be 4 large ships in on 23rd May - Iona, Anthem of the Seas, Britannia and Ventura.  That will mean a turnover of pax in the region of 31,000!

Anthem, Iona and Britannia are alongside together on a number of occasions, meaning a changeover of up to about 25,000 pax.