Twas the night before Thanksgiving...and the Upgrade Fairy visited!

havanadaydreaming

First, I'm like to preface this post by saying I'm not looking to "show off".  I just wanted to give some optimism to folks considerable playing the Upgrade Advantage game. 

We just got upgraded from OV to Balcony for $50pp.  Balconies were showing on ncl website yesterday for about $570 more than what we paid for the Oceanview.  Our cruise departs in five days (only a 4 nighter on the Sky). 

I've submitted upgraded on each NCL cruise we've sailed, admittedly weak bids, and this is our first win. 

Who else has been visited by the Upgrade Fairy?!?

Nothing for this year, however I do have a funny "upgrade" story from when we sailed on the Breakaway right after Thanksgiving in 2017 (coincidentally 2 years ago to the day). We booked a Mini-Suite and it wasn't until the second night on board we received a call from guest services saying we were able to move to another Mini-Suite - in addition to the one we already had. It was extremely bizarre and to this day no one knows why or how it happened, but we ended up having 2 Mini-Suites on that sailing! Our group of course was 4 low 20 year olds so we threw all our luggage in one room and used the other room nonstop. Still looking back I am not sure how it happened, but they didn't charge us extra or anything like that. 

Edited by Greek Boss

That’s great!  Congratulations on the upgrade!

I did receive an offer for an upgrade but given I’m already in the Haven didn’t make a lot of sense.  I mean having the Owners Suite would be sweet...but I could not justify the upgrade cost.  CAD$5000 more for the DOS?  Buh-bye.  

1 hour ago, havanadaydreaming said:

First, I'm like to preface this post by saying I'm not looking to "show off".  I just wanted to give some optimism to folks considerable playing the Upgrade Advantage game. 

We just got upgraded from OV to Balcony for $50pp.  Balconies were showing on ncl website yesterday for about $570 more than what we paid for the Oceanview.  Our cruise departs in five days (only a 4 nighter on the Sky). 

I've submitted upgraded on each NCL cruise we've sailed, admittedly weak bids, and this is our first win. 

Congratulations, I hope your luck rubs off on me. 🙂 Enjoy your cruise

5 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

LOL this in my first cruise on Norwegian and is on the Sun on 12/2/19. I also played the upgrade game and lo and behold was notified today I got a mid ship balcony on deck 10 for the 50.00 bid from deck 7 picture window cabin. Heard most first time cruisers and low bids don't have much of chance to get upgraded. Wonders never cease.Happy Sailings.......

I haven't heard the term "upgrade fairy" for years.  Back then, way before "bidding" and before folks would call NCL directly to try to upgrade - NCL would call someone already booked on the ship totally "out of the blue" and offer an upgrade for $.  There was seemingly no rhyme or reason on who they would call.  I know folks would post asking what someone did to be able to get the coveted "upgrade fairy" call.  We received the call 2 or 3 times starting in 2011 upgrading from balconies to suites, and given that we would cruise maybe once a year back then was a higher likelihood than most.  And the offers from NCL were a REAL deal back then too.  

So now we do the bids, along with 100s more people - but I still miss the days when the "upgrade fairy" was real.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RickinFL said:

LOL this in my first cruise on Norwegian and is on the Sun on 12/2/19. I also played the upgrade game and lo and behold was notified today I got a mid ship balcony on deck 10 for the 50.00 bid from deck 7 picture window cabin. Heard most first time cruisers and low bids don't have much of chance to get upgraded. Wonders never cease.Happy Sailings.......

Kudos Rick!