Stockholm Old Town on our Own

Tom O.

35 minutes ago, Nok977 said:

Hi! Has anyone heard anything about Stockholm rooftop tours? Sounds quite exciting for me but not sure this is the right thing to do if you just have one day in the city

It wouldn't be our "cup of tea" but if you are the adventurous type, I can imagine that it would be an exciting experience.

You can watch some videos that will give you a good idea of the rooftop tours and make your own decision whether or not it is something of interest.

• Like 1

I'm struggling with figuring out how to do everything we want to do in Stockholm on our own. Our ship (Norwegian Escape) is docking in Nynashamn so we have to figure out a way to get from there to Stockholm proper. They offer a bus ride which we could take, my problem is that it doesn't give us time to go to the Ice Bar which is one of the things we want to do. The Ice Bar doesn't open until 4:30pm, and the latest bus the ship offers heads back at 4:00pm with tours heading back at 3 or 3:30pm. If the Escape is due to depart Nynashamn at 7:00pm, what would be the latest we could leave Stockholm to make it in time? Thank you so much.

Most cruise lines require you to be back on board about an hour before sail away, so you absolutely need to check this with NCL. Locals will know better but Google Maps suggests about 40 minutes by car, but I find GM a bit optimistic most of the time. Adding these factors into the mix suggests you need to be leaving the Ice Bar by 5 pm at the latest, so is it worth 30 minutes?

shouldnt there be a service on board offering taxi and other entertainments at the location? Why even bother looking for taxi n stuff. Also I am sure there are plenty of tourist organisations, taxi and private tour agents at the dock 

10 hours ago, debway said:

I'm struggling with figuring out how to do everything we want to do in Stockholm on our own. Our ship (Norwegian Escape) is docking in Nynashamn so we have to figure out a way to get from there to Stockholm proper. They offer a bus ride which we could take, my problem is that it doesn't give us time to go to the Ice Bar which is one of the things we want to do. The Ice Bar doesn't open until 4:30pm, and the latest bus the ship offers heads back at 4:00pm with tours heading back at 3 or 3:30pm. If the Escape is due to depart Nynashamn at 7:00pm, what would be the latest we could leave Stockholm to make it in time? 

Personally, I would skip the Ice Bar - there simply isn't enough time to fit it into your day. It will probably take about an hour to get back to your ship assuming there are no issues with traffic. Furthermore, we needed to be back onboard 30 minutes before sailing (some lines require an hour before sailaway).

On 2/24/2020 at 3:05 AM, Roger88 said:

Also I am sure there are plenty of tourist organisations, taxi and private tour agents at the dock 

No, there are not. You can hire a taxi but there are no guides hanging around the terminal looking to score a tour - it is nothing like the Caribbean.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:51 AM, Desdichado62 said:

A picture of Stockholm today. View is Djurgårdsbron with Nordiska museet in the background. 

Beautiful photo! 

• Like 2

Saint Perersburg also got those roof tours. To be honest I was a bit afraid at first, my wife as well. But it was worth it. Just be careful and dont look down 🙂 These tours are one of the best tours in those northern cities. You can see those 18th century landscapes. Its unbelievable. I would not take kids with me to these tours. They remain “extreme”.  

On 2/24/2020 at 8:35 PM, Nok977 said:

Wow! That's even more exciting than I thought! I think we go for it!

Nok977, do that! It is an amazing experience, you will love it, believe me! Make sure you have a good camera with you, not just a phone 

Edited by Fran2020
typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 3:49 AM, debway said:

The Ice Bar doesn't open until 4:30pm, and the latest bus the ship offers heads back at 4:00pm with tours heading back at 3 or 3:30pm.

As far as I know, in the summer time the Ice Bar has different opening times, usually they open around 12:00 PM, so that also cruise passengers can visit the bar. At the moment there are winter season opening times on their website.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Swedish armed forces' birthday greeting to his majesty the king.Normally the king and general
public would attend too but due he Corona situation the king has temporarily moved to a smaller
palace in the country side in the Södermanland province.

The honorary guard are provide by Livbataljonen from the Livgardet regiment (Royal Life Guards).
Music is provided by the Swedish Army Band.

Edited by Desdichado62

It seems that Sweden and Stockholm is particular is dealing well with COVID19 -  do you think that we will be able to go there in e.g. August this year? Or this is too optimistic? 

8 hours ago, Fran2020 said:

It seems that Sweden and Stockholm is particular is dealing well with COVID19 -  do you think that we will be able to go there in e.g. August this year? Or this is too optimistic? 

I think it's too optimistic, possibly travel within Scandinavia or European Union will be allowed but full international travel might be a little too optimistic.

17 hours ago, Nok977 said:

Beautiful! Very beautiful! Is King's Palace open for public visits? I mean not now but in general?

Yes, The Royal Palace in Stockholm is open for visits (or parts of it).

https://www.royalpalaces.se/english.html

https://www.royalpalaces.se/english/royal-palaces-and-sites/the-royal-palace.html

Sweden has taken a different approach to the COVID19 lockdown. They are on the middle ground, no lockdown but not fully open. They are using the herd method, since the virus impact on a healthy person is average illness but to a high risk person is very dangerous. So isolate your high risk and let everyone else go about their business as much as they can. So yes, everything is open for business but not as many people are going out to them. You will have to make a health decision on travelling to that country or at least the cruise industry will have to make that decision at some point. Bottom line Sweden method is not without controversy.

But if you stop in Stockhold, it is very easy to do on your own. Transit is easy, museum is easy and the old town is beautiful. Since getting ferry or buses, you will need some local currency.  

3 hours ago, strathcona said:

Sweden has taken a different approach to the COVID19 lockdown. They are on the middle ground, no lockdown but not fully open. They are using the herd method, since the virus impact on a healthy person is average illness but to a high risk person is very dangerous. So isolate your high risk and let everyone else go about their business as much as they can. So yes, everything is open for business but not as many people are going out to them. You will have to make a health decision on travelling to that country or at least the cruise industry will have to make that decision at some point. Bottom line Sweden method is not without controversy.

But if you stop in Stockhold, it is very easy to do on your own. Transit is easy, museum is easy and the old town is beautiful. Since getting ferry or buses, you will need some local currency.  

Not quite. While technically not a full lockdown there are lots of restrictions even if people are allowed to be outside and go to/from work.

Gatherings larger then 50 people have been banned, sports event has been banned/cancelled, public events has been cancelled (like 1 May demonstrations). Museums are closed, people are being told to stay at home if possible, told not to travel anywhere (except for absolutely necessary trips). Restaurants are open but are legally required to separate guests/tables with several meters (if they don't comply authorities will close them down). Lots of offices/factories and other non essential are either closed completely or have staff work from home. Tourism is closed down, borders are closed and etc. So there is a lockdown, it's just not as strict as in other countries and I don't the other countries can keep the lockdown ongoing for much longer.
Besides sitting at home doing nothing and not going outdoors at all can be very dangerous too in the long run.

Personally I don't see cruising or international travel being allowed to resume in Sweden this year/summer. Possible intra EU travel later in the autumn but not trans global with cruises and such.

Edited by Desdichado62