Tahiti on Tahitian Princess?

EvilMuffins

For our new years '07 cruise, we we're thinking of Tahiti as an option. We were hoping Celebrity went there but they don't. We are going on Coral Princess in Dec 06', and we're not sure if we want to go on another Princess ship 2 years in a row. Also, we have to fly to Tahiti which is a HUGE expence for us. And the cruise that we're thinking of taking(course only if they have the dates)is on the small Tahitian Princess. We can go on a Mini-suite, but is it worth flying all the way down to Tahiti for going on the Tahitian Princess? Anyone encountered this?

By the way this cruise is the rountrip Tahiti from Papaetee

It is sooo worth it. We did it in December and it was great. We are from Eastern Canada and took a pre package that included flight 5 nights accommodation and breakfast and dinner and all transfers to and from for $1800. Found it was cheaper to stay ahead then to just take the flight. If you can do it, it is definately worth it.:D

For our new years '07 cruise, we we're thinking of Tahiti as an option. We were hoping Celebrity went there but they don't. We are going on Coral Princess in Dec 06', and we're not sure if we want to go on another Princess ship 2 years in a row. Also, we have to fly to Tahiti which is a HUGE expence for us. And the cruise that we're thinking of taking(course only if they have the dates)is on the small Tahitian Princess. We can go on a Mini-suite, but is it worth flying all the way down to Tahiti for going on the Tahitian Princess? Anyone encountered this?

By the way this cruise is the rountrip Tahiti from Papaetee

Is it worth it?.........yes yes and yes.

Beautiful islands, well worth the flights, really not that far from Western Canada. We have been to Tahiti twice and plan to go back, it is one of our favorite cruises.......:)

Been on the Tahitian Princess twice and loved it each time. However, it is not for kids. There are no areas for kids. But if you like snorkeling and swimming and doing some of the tours, it's a wonderful place to visit. We loved the motu beach picnic we did in Huahine and the cultural tours in Rarotonga and Moorea. The pearl farms are interesting, too. And the show the cruise line brings on board in Raiatea is great. The ship is small and the minisuites aren't as large as the ones on the larger ships but they are comfortable. As far as flights go, it may be cheaper for you to go to LAX on your own and then fly on Princess air to Papeete. That's what we did. It worked out to be much cheaper that way.

yes it is worth the time on a plane. we are going back for #3, can't wait. we prefer precruise for a few nights and 1 night post, just to miss the crowd that is leaving when the cruise ends. be sure to look into staying on Moorea for multiple nights, and the Intercontinental on Tahiti is a not-to-miss for one night. you can find some great package deals that are very offordabel through some of the online Tahiti travel agents. going through Princess is way overpriced.

We just got back from the Tahitian Princess. It was one of the best cruises we have ever taken. We did the same ship 6 years ago when it was Renaissance. But this was even better. The ship is small, which makes it easier to meet people. We did our own snorkeling excursions with smaller groups and English speaking guides. The service was exceptional. I say GO. :)

Tahiti is well worth the effort to get there, some of the island are still unspoiled, much like Hawaii in the 50's before rampant commercialization started stripping so much of the islands away. Our flight was long and long, despite Air Tahiti Nui's best efforts, we got in at 2 a.m. and we up at 8:30 the next morning and had a full day and evening, so the time change isn't too bad - it's going back that's tough. We did both a pre and post tour to get used to the time change and as a consolation prize for being finished with the cruise. However, it took me a week to get over the jet lag, so if you have to choose, take the pre cruise and then a couple of days off before you have to head back to work. We flew in on the tail end of a typhoon, so got some pretty rainy weather, but it cleared on the third day. If you dive, it's an incredible spot and the drift snorkling is loads of fun - just remember to go to a local dive shop and get some booties with heavy soles. No use ruining your fun by stepping on an sea urchin and they are everywhere! The nice thing about being on a smaller ship is that you really get to know people, both crew and passengers, on a scale that isn't possible on the larger ships. We did met a few rude islanders, but on the whole, they are so wonderful and friendly. It's better if you speak French, but we don't and still had a ball. We can't wait to go back!

Charlie

We did Papeete to Sydney on Pacific Princess (new), sis to Tahitian Princess, 11-03, and enjoyed the small ship experience very much. We have also travelled on Oceania's Regatta, another sister ship, and have booked Oceania's Nautica (yet another sister ship) through the Suez, Istanbul to Singapore, 11-06.

The flight to Tahiti is not bad at all, at least compared to flying to Australia.

I've done a land trip on Moorea several years ago and loved it!

We've got a Cruise Critic group cruise on the Tahitian Princess going 8/15/06. Click on the following for a link to our group cruise website: Tahiti Cruise. We've accumulated lots of information from other Cruise Critic members who've gone recently and shared their experiences. There are also numerous links to more information on the internet.

It's a good place to start your plans for the cruise.

It is sooo worth it. We did it in December and it was great. We are from Eastern Canada and took a pre package that included flight 5 nights accommodation and breakfast and dinner and all transfers to and from for $1800. Found it was cheaper to stay ahead then to just take the flight. If you can do it, it is definately worth it.:D

Did you do this through Princess or on your own?

most flights out of LAX are direct. ATN, Air France, ANZ. Hawaiian air is the only one I know of that would go through HI. we have gone through Princess and on our own, I would not go through Princess again. much better prices can be found on your own, with lots more flexibility.

the mini suites are very nice.

you will definitely need a day or two at home after the cruise, it will take you that long to stop crying because you had to leave paradise ......

I just looked at some pictures posted on the Pacific Islands board, and they were simply amazing. Even through the rain you could tell how lush and beautiful the landscape is. I love ferns and waterfalls. I can't wait! How am I going to make it for 17 months?

TexasMom2,

I like that name since I was raised in Texas. :) If you like pictures of Tahiti, you might want to check out our Tahitian Princess cruise review at www.thepreismans.com . There are many pictures in the review and lots more if you go to the Kodak Gallery link at the end of the review. 17 months is a long time to wait. I waited a year, and it was very difficult.

WAVTAM,

I guess we just both have excellent taste in cruise selection. :D You will love the TP, it is a very special ship cruising in a very special place. With our Diamond cruise starting next week, we now need to get something booked for 2007. Asia, South America and possibly a European river cruise are on the radar; but it is difficult to decide which wonderul experience to do first. Never enough vacation time.

TexasMom2,

I like that name since I was raised in Texas. :) If you like pictures of Tahiti, you might want to check out our Tahitian Princess cruise review at www.thepreismans.com . There are many pictures in the review and lots more if you go to the Kodak Gallery link at the end of the review. 17 months is a long time to wait. I waited a year, and it was very difficult.

I saw your photo gallery right after you posted it. The pictures are fantastic and I loved the commentary. I've been waiting to book this cruise for our 25th anniversary for about 3 years now. Just getting to the point where they open the schedule for July 2007 is almost more than I can stand. Then I'll have to wait another year!

Archived