Hearing and Closed Captions

drrtc1

Time for a separate board on hearing and the lack of the cruise industry to see that 50% of their customers (men over 60) have a real hearing loss.

The cruise companies consistently blame the lack of closed captions on the provider.  UNTRUE.  I would cost a lot more to remove the CC then to broadcast it.

They consistently ignore the fact that many are unable to hear on their shipboard telephone.  THIS FIX IS SO OBVIOUS THAT IT NEED NOT BE REPEATED.

They consistently ignore the fact that knocking on the door (lightly and politely) is not heard by most hard of hearing passenger.  USE AVAILBLE LIGHTING TECHNOLOGY TO SIGNAL VISTITORS.  OR DOORBELL LIKE VIKING.

No hearing assistive devices for live shows.  AVAILABLE TECHNOLOGY THAT IS USED BY THE MOVIE INDUSTRY AT ALMOST ALL MOVIE THEATERS WHICH IS PROJECTED TO THE LISTNER.

No closed captions for the theater.  SEE ABOVE.

Time to register this gross insult to the cruise industry.  The ADA act. mandates alll programs produced after 1998 will have closed captions.  If your ship does not have it, register your wrath by 1) let them know at the highest level and hurt them in the pocket book 2) Report to EEOC ( I recently did this) 3) report this to your travel agent and get active on this thread to let the cruise industry know that they can support us as much as they do for the physically handicapped.

Are you aware that ships that embark of debark passengers in US ports ARE covered by ADA rules and regs.  Check Title II and III.  The EEOC accepted my complaint which is ongoing.  In addition, I have read the pertinent rules and regs put out by the EU Parliament and they have passed more stringent rules regarding hearing disabled and use of CC.  Ships that try to hide because they are foreign owned.  And in fact the EU went farther saying that Closed Captions are used 80% of the time by foreign language speaker to teach the language of that nation and  are in the national best interest.  Just think what a boon that would be for our Indonesian and Phillipino stewards!  The Cruise company can only run, can't hide and it is "enabling" to blame it on the law in any case.  Boycott ( hit them in the $$$) any company that fails to provide assistance for those that are hard of hearing.  Shows, announcements, excursion lectures, TV, etc.

At least Viking provides for all passengers a hearing device ( like a walkie-talkie with ear pieces that also fit hearing aids) so it matters not where you sit on the bus or stand when walking, you hear the tour leader.

So, 50% of all cruisers are men over 60?  Kind of doubt that fact.  The NIH says that 25% of people (men and women) between 65-74 have hearing loss.  And, again as I stated in the other thread, see the SCOTUS ruling in Spector v. NCL that not all aspects of the ADA apply to foreign flag cruise ships.  Not sure what the EEOC has to do with this, since it is not a "workplace" discrimination.  

Stand on your soapbox, and good on you, but know that you are reaching a small minority of the cruising population, which I doubt will alter the cruise lines' attitudes in the slightest.

• Like 1

If you are against helping those that are hard of hearing just say so.  You needn't quote law, statistics, and every reason that you can think of to not help.  Most ships do.  I would like to know what got up your nose?  However, since you have made your position clear, you needn't answer or be on this board any longer.  Just state that your are against it, and cruise ships have a law all their own. 

1 hour ago, drrtc1 said:

If you are against helping those that are hard of hearing just say so.  You needn't quote law, statistics, and every reason that you can think of to not help.  Most ships do.  I would like to know what got up your nose?  However, since you have made your position clear, you needn't answer or be on this board any longer.  Just state that your are against it, and cruise ships have a law all their own. 

Actually, when I was working for the cruise lines, I was the ADA compliance officer onboard, and I have nothing against the hard of hearing, or any disabled person.  I just don't like when people spout incorrect "facts".  And, if you don't like the fact that the cruise ships do not fall under US laws, then cruise on US cruise ships.  When you deal with international trade, you deal with laws other than the US.

• Like 2