Going to Virgin Gorda on your own..yes or no?

Bluewake

We've been to Tortola a few times but have never ventured to Virgin Gorda.  While we'd like to see the Baths, we are not "beach people" so spending hours at the Baths may not be of particular interest to us.   We'd also like to see other parts of Virgin Gorda.  However, most of the cruise line excursions seem to go to the Baths and back.  That gives rise to a few questions.  (1)  How hard is it to get to Virgin Gorda on your own...taking the Ferry?  (2) What else, other than the Baths, on Virgin Gorda would be something you'd suggest doing?  (3) What is Spanishtown like?  Are there shops and other things to do or is it more merely a collection of homes?   Thanks for any suggestions!

1) Very easy to ferry on your own, short walk to ferry terminal and a 30 min ferry.

2) Perhaps a tour with a driver to see highlights including a hilltop view of Savannah Bay and other areas. What are your hours in port, and what day of the week?

3) Yes you will find shops and restaurants like the Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown. Short walk from town back to the ferry dock...

I was facing the same question (Tortola diy vs. ship excursion). After checking ferry schedules, I found that departure and return times on ship's excursion was fitting better. When adding up all costs, the ship's excursion was only about 20% more expensive than DIY - so we decided to book through the ship (which usually does not happen).

However, it seems to be very doable so if your time in port fits for the ferry, go for it!

Yes the Baths are a unique experience, and depending on your port times and date in port the DIY option can be a much better experience as you can maximize your time on VG by using different ferries, and also work around the larger tour groups and enjoy other areas of the island that folks on an excursion will not have the opportunity to see...

So your feedback on port times and date is pertinent info to get the best recs...

On 12/23/2019 at 8:38 AM, UniPac said:

I was facing the same question (Tortola diy vs. ship excursion). After checking ferry schedules, I found that departure and return times on ship's excursion was fitting better. When adding up all costs, the ship's excursion was only about 20% more expensive than DIY - so we decided to book through the ship (which usually does not happen).

However, it seems to be very doable so if your time in port fits for the ferry, go for it!

Can you share the name of the Ferries?  I would like to check their schedules as well.  Do you need to make reservations ahead of time?   Or do you just line up and hope to get on your chosen time?

Thanks 

Ok, hopefully someone is able to assist me.  The ship I'm on will tender us to VG.  I don't want to spend 3 hours at the baths, but would love to see them. 

My questions are: 

Are taxis easily available at the terminal for us to get to the Baths on our own? 

How far are the Baths from the terminal area? 

I've read the trail to the Baths is rough, my mom is 80 and doesn't want to do any rough trails, ok, I'm 60 and neither do I, how rough is the trail?

Thank you in advance.

My understanding is that we need to take a ferry from the pier first, then a taxi to The Baths.   

I found these 2 web pages that might help you decide about the difficulty.  There is a dining area at the top were your mom could wait for you.  

https://www.bareboatsbvi.com/virgin-gorda/the-baths.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxNVP3iGpM

14 minutes ago, itsanita said:

My understanding is that we need to take a ferry from the pier first, then a taxi to The Baths.   

I found these 2 web pages that might help you decide about the difficulty.  There is a dining area at the top were your mom could wait for you.  

https://www.bareboatsbvi.com/virgin-gorda/the-baths.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxNVP3iGpM

Hey!  You're my neighbor!  I'm in LBTS!  Thank you for responding!  At least this way she will have an option.  Happy New Year!

9 hours ago, itsanita said:

Can you share the name of the Ferries?  I would like to check their schedules as well.  Do you need to make reservations ahead of time?   Or do you just line up and hope to get on your chosen time?

Thanks 

Smith’s and Speedy’s were the two primary ferry options for Virgin Gorda pre-Irma. Their sites are still active but we haven’t been to Road Town since Irma so someone else can confirm that.

You just walk to the ferry terminal (10 min walk) and buy round trip tickets there. Just be aware that if you have a longer port time and want to maximize your time on VG and avoid the crowds you may be able to use one ferry for the ride over  and the other for the return, it was an extra $10US for that. Speedy’s also offered packages that included taxi on VG and lunch at the Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown.

when you arrive at the ferry dock on Virgin Gorda taxis will be lined up waiting for you. Read other threads about hooking up with a driver to take advantage of seeing other areas and avoiding some of the rest of the crowd you arrived with.

8 hours ago, Cherryies said:

Ok, hopefully someone is able to assist me.  The ship I'm on will tender us to VG.  I don't want to spend 3 hours at the baths, but would love to see them. 

My questions are: 

Are taxis easily available at the terminal for us to get to the Baths on our own? 

How far are the Baths from the terminal area? 

I've read the trail to the Baths is rough, my mom is 80 and doesn't want to do any rough trails, ok, I'm 60 and neither do I, how rough is the trail?

Thank you in advance.

It depends on where you anchor - in the North Sound? Or near the Spanishtown ferry dock in the Valley?  Either way taxis will be there for you.

Yes the trail is uneven but you should be ok, your mom can relax with the view and a drink at the Top of the Baths.

20 hours ago, itsanita said:

Can you share the name of the Ferries? 

As blue_water stated, the ferries are Smith's and Speedy's.

You can find some additional information at http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/BVI-Ferry-schedule-virgin-gorda-tortola-speedys-smith.php

Speedy's seems to be up and running from what I read at the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/virgingorda.transport.speedys/

Edited by UniPac

21 hours ago, Cherryies said:

Hey!  You're my neighbor!  I'm in LBTS!  Thank you for responding!  At least this way she will have an option.  Happy New Year!

Howdy Neighbor!   We have great friends that live in LBTS.   Enjoy your cruise and The Baths.  We will be there in February.     Happy New Year