Only slightly cruise related

BenMurphy

Hi all

On Friday we will be travelling from LHR to LAX and onward to our precruise hotel in San Pedro, I have arranged for 'curbside pickup'

I've just been reading  that curbside pickups have changed. We are not using Uber or Lyft and have booked (and paid) a company called ExecuCar,I have messaged 

them the question,but I'm hoping that someone here can also help. Does anyone on here know where pick up is now? We are going to be tired (and fractious) after a 14 hour flight+ customs of course..

At the pre cruise planning/checking stage now!

Thanks

Josie xxx 

1 hour ago, BenMurphy said:

Hi all

On Friday we will be travelling from LHR to LAX and onward to our precruise hotel in San Pedro, I have arranged for 'curbside pickup'

I've just been reading  that curbside pickups have changed. We are not using Uber or Lyft and have booked (and paid) a company called ExecuCar,I have messaged 

them the question,but I'm hoping that someone here can also help. Does anyone on here know where pick up is now? We are going to be tired (and fractious) after a 14 hour flight+ customs of course..

At the pre cruise planning/checking stage now!

Thanks

Josie xxx 

We use Execucar often. In fact  just this past Saturday, Execucar picked us up curbside at berth 93 in San Pedro and dropped us at the departure terminal door for United at LAX. For the same trip, we also used Execucar to get to San Pedro. But, we were picked up at the LAX Marriott (great hotel!) where we stayed the night before embarkation.

I do know that, at least for Uber and Lyft, LAX has some specified pickup areas that may require an inconvenient walk. SFO has also established a similar non-curbside arrangement (taxi union fought long and hard to get that enacted).

FWIW, You could modify your Execucar reservation for the slightly more expensive "meet and greet" and the driver will be waiting for you in the terminal and assist with getting your luggage to the vehicle.

But, if you decide to stick with "curbside" pickup, there's signage everywhere that will point you in the right direction (and the always friendly staffed info desk found in most major airports).

For future reference, consider staying at LAX for that pre-cruise evening (unless you want to visit the San Pedro/Long Beach area). IMO, you'll have a better selection of hotels at a generally lower price. And the ride to LAH (the code for the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro) is usually between 30-60 minutes depending on traffic.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

SuperShuttle, the long running airport shuttle service with the distinctive blue-and-yellow vans, is going out of business at the end of the year.

Airports were notified this week that SuperShuttle and sister sedan service ExecuCar will cease operatio
ns on Dec. 31.

SuperShuttle general manager Alan Gildersleeve, in an email to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport officials in suburban Phoenix Thursday, wrote, "Unfortunately, our parent company has decided to cease SuperShuttle and ExecuCar operations nationwide effective 12/31 so we will not be continuing our service agreement into 2020.''
I've cancelled !  Hoping to get a refund! 
Edit or delete this

Yes- it's a bummer that Super Shuttle/Execucar is stopping. But, they might get picked up by another company. After all, that's a ton of "rolling stock" to unload.

BTW, Though we have always found great transfers (through research) on our own when abroad, Mozio.com is a useful search engine to give you an idea of some of what's available worldwide (including the ability to book a car)

• Like 1

I can't recommend a private car service but I know that traffic at LAX is horrendous after they implemented the new Uber/Lyft/Taxi policy.  I was there in early November during the first week it went into effect.  The traffic on Century Boulevard was like a parking lot. We were just trying to get to the Hilton the night before our flight.   Hotel shuttles, rental car shuttles, private car services or a friend driving you are the only vehicles that are allowed to drive to the terminal. There is a shuttle to the Uber/Lyft/Taxi waiting area.  It's too far to walk if you have luggage especially if you're on United which is on the far end of the airport.   Unless it has improved greatly in the last 6 weeks, I recommend anyone flying into or out of LAX to allow a lot of extra time. 

There i a much simpler solution...... Take a hotel bus  to Marriott or Westin.... and avoid the whole problem.  I use this all the time..... You do not have to be a guest  to use the  hotel bus.     Why wait  to be picked up by the shuttle then wait maybe 40 to 50 min more for your car......         In addition   I always park at Westin or Marriott  they have a special deal where if you stay 1 night  you can get 14 days free parking !     gone for 30 days....   Simple  stay  another night when you return  and get 28 days free.    They also have special rates of around 12-14 a day parking with valet service.............forget curbside

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

There i a much simpler solution...... Take a hotel bus  to Marriott or Westin.... and avoid the whole problem.  I use this all the time..... You do not have to be a guest  to use the  hotel bus.     Why wait  to be picked up by the shuttle then wait maybe 40 to 50 min more for your car......         In addition   I always park at Westin or Marriott  they have a special deal where if you stay 1 night  you can get 14 days free parking !     gone for 30 days....   Simple  stay  another night when you return  and get 28 days free.    They also have special rates of around 12-14 a day parking with valet service.............forget curbside

And, when doing a reservation to the cruise port in San Pedro from a hotel, make sure to use the LAH code since the price will be for an "airport" transfer (less expensive) rather than "point to point" if you just put in the port address.

I think you must have posted this on Facebook and I did respond there as follows:

I live in Los Angeles so maybe I can help. When we fly in to LAX (returning home from our vacation) we use a private limo company. The problem is they don't know how long it will take you to clear customs, immigration, and to retrieve your bags. They do monitor your flight but they are not allowed to simply wait at the curb, and they don't want to keep driving around and around. When we clear customs and immigration we call them. They are usually sitting in a holding area and then arrive within 5-10 minutes at the curb. When we call them they let us know what type of vehicle is picking us up and the license plate number. If you are using a different company for your pick up you should ask them how they do it. If you decide to do Uber or Lyft, when you first walk out to the curb, the first lanes are reserved for the Lyft and Uber shuttles. They whisk you away to an area outside of the airport where you get your vehicle. If you want to use the company I use their name is Black Car Limo. 1-800-600-2922. http://blackcarlimo.com/. You can also email them: blackcarlimo@yahoo.com. If you decide to use my company or another company, you do have to cross over from the Uber/Lyft shuttle lanes to the second lane. That's were the private companies pick you up. You did not say what hotel you are staying at. You should ask them what they recommend. You also did not state how you are getting to the ship. You can use my company for both. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Carol From California said:

I think you must have posted this on Facebook and I did respond there as follows:

I live in Los Angeles so maybe I can help. When we fly in to LAX (returning home from our vacation) we use a private limo company. The problem is they don't know how long it will take you to clear customs, immigration, and to retrieve your bags. They do monitor your flight but they are not allowed to simply wait at the curb, and they don't want to keep driving around and around. When we clear customs and immigration we call them. They are usually sitting in a holding area and then arrive within 5-10 minutes at the curb. When we call them they let us know what type of vehicle is picking us up and the license plate number. If you are using a different company for your pick up you should ask them how they do it. If you decide to do Uber or Lyft, when you first walk out to the curb, the first lanes are reserved for the Lyft and Uber shuttles. They whisk you away to an area outside of the airport where you get your vehicle. If you want to use the company I use their name is Black Car Limo. 1-800-600-2922. http://blackcarlimo.com/. You can also email them: blackcarlimo@yahoo.com. If you decide to use my company or another company, you do have to cross over from the Uber/Lyft shuttle lanes to the second lane. That's were the private companies pick you up. You did not say what hotel you are staying at. You should ask them what they recommend. You also did not state how you are getting to the ship. You can use my company for both. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!  I have completely lost where I am upto with this! We need to be met inside the airport. We can lift our suitcases onto trollys, but on and off buses is a huge problem

I have clicked onto black car limo,but they dont seem to offer this service

Josie.........................................feeling frantic

6 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

Thank you!  I have completely lost where I am upto with this! We need to be met inside the airport. We can lift our suitcases onto trollys, but on and off buses is a huge problem

I have clicked onto black car limo,but they dont seem to offer this service

Josie.........................................feeling frantic

Email them.  

Roadrunner Shuttle, on their website, says they can meet you at baggage claim with their Town Car or Executive SUV service...

https://www.rrshuttle.com/service/viewservice.aspx?servicename=Town Car

Now, all of these websites were created prior to the new rules, so I would always clarify this with whatever service you use.

Thank you all for your ideas and advice, I have now booked with a company called LA VIP, it's cost a mint. but it's got to be done after such a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong flight.

Please remind me not to sail from L.A ever again!

Hope that you all have a soopper doopper Christmas and a merry new year

Josie xx