Freeport

mlewing

Go to the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line posts. Many pictures of the businesses in the port and reasons you can get off the ship. Near the ship or go to town. Do not prepay for the trip to town. Pay for it when you take it. Only $10.00 Carnival docks right at the port stores and businesses and the straw market. Nice small area to check out.

• Like 2

Many cruisers do not like this island because it is industrial and not touristy.  It is one of my favorites though (especially compared to Nassau).  The people are so incredibly nice and genuine.  Not the slightest bit pushy or trying to get you to buy things.  And the island's history is really interesting, even to kids. Feels a bit like you are exploring a midwest small town. We did a mangrove kayak and beach excursion through Carnival when we went.  Bus/van to start spot, kayak through the mangroves, and the beach we went to was the one where pirates of the carribbean was filmed, there were raccoons that came up and politely requested food while we were eating the provided lunch.  On the ride back our guide gave us a bunch of history of the island that really drew me in.  I would love to live there someday but it is not super vacationy.

We’ve done 3 cruises that stopped in Freeport.  We never had a desire to get off the ship there.  We had plenty of fun staying on board having the pool, water slides, dining choices, etc. almost all to ourselves. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

Thanks.  I'm having a hard time finding things that have reopened since the hurricane.  Our cruise line is even offering excursions for places that are still closed. 🙁

Their Facebook Page says they are open

6 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

Thanks.  I did find some recent reviews on Trip Advisor but it's hard to tell how much of the gardens have recovered.  

Sorry, can't help you with that.  I can show you pictures from pre hurricane.

10 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Sorry, can't help you with that.  I can show you pictures from pre hurricane.

That would be great, if it's not too much trouble.  My husband and I actually went to Garden of the Groves on our honeymoon but that was almost 30 years ago so I don't remember much about it except the taxi ride to get there, which was in an old, old limo with no shocks. 😄