Legend Listing, really rough sailing question???

poolgal

Ok, I am experienced at cruising. I have read one toooo many reviews lately about how much movement the Legend deals with. A friend of mine just got off The Liberty and she said that during a 2 day "no big deal storm" the ship was rockin and rollin to the point where seeing cruisers w/casts on their arms and legs was not uncommon. Apparently the Captain announced that everyone must hold on to arm rails etc. Others had told her that The Conquest and Spirit class ships were much more narrow then prior class ships and excessive rockin and rollin was normal. We are sailing 3/17, should be good weather. Who knows.... Personally a little motion is cool "to me" but not my son.

Has anyone sailed The Legend in March??????? This is starting to cause me to stress....?????

Thx,

PG

We were on two of Legend's sister ships. The Spirit last March and The Pride this January. Both cruises were on the Pacific Ocean. Some days were very calm and some were rocking.

I get extremely sea sick and did feel a bit quesy even with my Relief Band and Meclizine. I never felt like vomiting, just a bit dizzy. Of course, I was still able to eat!

The Legend should be fine. If you are afraid of your son getting sick, start him on Meclizine or Bonine (before bedtime) a couple of days before your cruise. You can give hime Ginger tablets during the daytime.

We were on the Legend once in a storm.

Didn't try walking around the ship as it was 3 am. But we were rocking.

Wife actually says she got thrown off toilet and was scared. She had said it to me when it happened, but she was pissed at me the next morning as I didn't do anything :confused: .

Pool- try not to worry. I consider myself a experienced cruiser. I have sailed the Legend 4 times and I will be on her April 26th again. The first time we sailed we hit a Nor-easter coming back from Halifax. The ship was being pounded by waves rain and in somecases snow- I lived to sail her again I was not nervous but just not enjoying myself as much as on other cruises. lol I have also sailed the Glory we were rocking and we had to miss Nassau because of a storm. The only thing I did notice about the Legend is she

"creaks" alot but then so do I LOL-

She is a sea worthy cruiseship and you will have a great time

I have been on the Legend twice but not in March - both times we did feel quite a bit of motion on a couple of days. I did not hear of people falling on either cruise.

If you are concerned about getting sea sick - just take some motion medicine or ginger. Take it slow when walking if you feel alot of motion.

I think you will be just fine!

Ok, I am experienced at cruising. I have read one toooo many reviews lately about how much movement the Legend deals with. A friend of mine just got off The Liberty and she said that during a 2 day "no big deal storm" the ship was rockin and rollin to the point where seeing cruisers w/casts on their arms and legs was not uncommon. PG

While your friend may have thought it was 'no big deal', if a massive cruise liner like that is rocking and rolling, the storm is a big deal.

When all the waves are 30 feet, which doesn't look anything like 30 feet from a cruise ship, the ship will bob up and down.

If the ship was rocking and rolling, the stabilizers would have fixed that.

I have never been on any ship larger than 5000 tons (that is not a typo). We had a couple of rough nights but it was never that bad. We never had 30 foot seas either maybe 6 or 7 foot. With that experience I cannot imagine the kind of storm that it takes to get one of the big ships really moving, though I know that it happens.

I am on Elation in the spring and am anxious to see how the ride compares to my previous journeys.

I would'nt worry too much about some chop as it can be normal. I would worry if I was facing the prospect of riding out a hurricane. Even in this case these ships are very sea worthy. Check out this picture some one captured on camera. http://www.strangedangers.com/content/item/102022.html I'm going to be on the Triumph and knowing she can take something like this is reassuring. :)

I would'nt worry too much about some chop as it can be normal. I would worry if I was facing the prospect of riding out a hurricane. Even in this case these ships are very sea worthy. Check out this picture some one captured on camera. http://www.strangedangers.com/content/item/102022.html I'm going to be on the Triumph and knowing she can take something like this is reassuring. :)

WOW... What a picture! :eek: Yes, reassuring, but I wouldn't want to be on it when it happened! :(

Re: the picture. I am pretty sure that that is one of the pics that is a "photoshopped" picture= Urban legend.

We need Derf...Could you give us that link to clear this up?!? I can't seem to locate it!

I know that there are some pretty spectacular pics circulating out there that are real that were taken by AV guys from a nearby ship...

I think the Legend is Spirit class, same as the Miracle? For what it's worth I was on the Miracle when it was 90 miles from Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf of Mexico, and there wasn't much movement at all. You didn't have to hold on to anything to walk around, and no one was falling down or using barf bags.

The captain said the waves were generally hitting the ship from the stern, which helped. Apparently that's preferable to getting hit broadside by the waves.

When we take the kids obviously were held to school vacation schedules. Even though March is more expensive the weather is almost always perfect. My friend just got off The Conquest last weekend so its still early in the season. My son "14" was sick once for 24 hours straight on The Triumph. It was his first cruise and we didn't see it coming so we hadn't given him anything. When it passed it never came back. Once on the Sensation we had some really rough going in the night. All of the Dressers and interior doors (we were in the Owners Suite) were opening and slamming shut. Hubby got up and duct tapped everything down. I knew that would come in handy one day. That cruise didn't bother him. But on this one we have 2 connecting rooms forward, which may or may not offer more motion by itself let alone if The Legend is more motion sensitive then Destiny class ships.

I appreciate your comments

Thank You!

Caprcorn is this pic really a fake? I hate being duped! :(

Go to www.titannica.com

This website is loaded with posters (Captains, officers and crewmen) who have decades of experience on the seas (there main discussion is about the events that led up to the sinking of the Titannic).

These guys frequenting this site can look at a pic of the sea and tell you by the wave action, the color of the water, etc. where this ship is. Many seem to think that this is in the North Atlantic and the ship in this picture was nowhere near the North Atlantic on the date that was on the original photo.

Other great pics there also of some ships taking on huge seas. :)

You be the judge.

Yep, think that it is a fake...

Here's the best of the links that I can provide:

http://boards2.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165520&page=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1873887

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165549

At least this is where that it has been discussed before on here...

Having grown up on the water, I can remember being in heavy seas on our cabin cruiser many times. I fell for this picture hook, line and sinker. Having sailed the Legend last year, during one particularly rocky night I recalled water hitting the balcony. I remember thinking...how did that water get way up here...and having this picture explain it perfectly.

By the way...I am a natural blonde.;)

event.png

I was on the Legend going to Bermuda from Baltimore in October 2003, and we has some really rough seas (my first real cruise- and I have very concerned!) Of course I was in the front of the boat (learned to never book there again), and we could feel the boat lift up and smack back down into the ocean. At one point all of the glasses and ice bucket slid off of the counter- breaking on the floor. The captain shut down all outside access, and a majority of the boat was sea-sick- including me! But, I don't contribute any of the motion to the boat's design- the ocean was fierce that day.

Coming home was a completely different story- the ocean was as flat as glass and sailing was almost motionless. Now, on cruises since the Legend when people complain about the boat moving, I just smile and know we all have nothing to complain about.

Sorry, but that one is the Photo Shopped version. Here is a link to some of the real deal.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Caribbean_Dad

poolgal

I have been on Legend in March, and it was as smooth as could be.

I have been on Legend in March, and it was as smooth as could be.

A quick trip around the boards reveals that people on the on cruiselines have been complaining about rocking lately.

That leads one to suspect that the issue has been sea conditions not ship design.

Sorry, but that one is the Photo Shopped version. Here is a link to some of the real deal.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Caribbean_Dad

I am pretty sure that that is one of the pics that is a "photoshopped" picture= Urban legend.

I know that there are some pretty spectacular pics circulating out there that are real that were taken by AV guys from a nearby ship...

Thanks CD for the link to the ones that I was referring to!

Archived