19 year old- wine at dinner- bad form?

Bethwte

Alright, this might get touchy, and if it does, I apologize. I will be 19 at cruise time, and we will be cruising this spring-break on the connie. My parents are signing the waiver for alcohol, because they know I won't abuse it, but my mother has a question for you all. Say you were our tablemates at dinner. Would you consider it bad form/offensive for me, as a 19 year old, to have a glass of wine with dinner. Would my parent's be open to scrutiny about it? The last thing I want is for our tablemates to think badly of us, so I was just wondering how taboo this is. The cruise line allows it, but do passengers? Thanks

I would not be the least bit concerned about some one of legal age having a glass of wine at dinner. This is a matter between between you and your family, and should not be of concern to your table mates. Many cultures have differing views about teen agers imbibing of beer or wine with meals, and I do not think we are competant to question your decision.

Please do not worry about such a non problem, and enjoy your cruise experience.

Petert

Absolutely not. Of course, if your mother let you drink too much and you ended up face-down in your dessert then that would be different...

It seems to me that part of the task of growing up is learning how to handle pleasures such a alcohol in a sensible and safe way. Of course, I'm British where we probably have a more tolerant attitude to alcohol (including mild alcohol abuse) than perhaps is true in general in the US. So other posters might have a different attitude. But here in the UK the legal limit for buying & drinking alcohol without restriction is 18, and I think young people of 16 (maybe even younger) can legally be given wine 'with a meal'.

Completely agree with the previous posters...

From about the age of 11, my parents would regularly give me VERY watered down wine with a couple of meals a week. From about the age of 16, I was drinking full strength wine with those couple of meals a week. Growing up with alcohol in moderation meant that I never went crazy with it (never felt the need to - since it was never forbidden). I am British - if that makes a difference.

Enjoy your wine - it is a civilised pleasure. I can't imagine that anybody would have a problem with your drinking. The problem that people have with other people's drinking is drunken behaviour: just because you are 19 doesn't mean that you will drink until excess (and, conversely, just because someone is 21/30/40/50/60/70 - doesn't mean that person will drink responsibly!)

Boo

If you are 19, you are old enough to vote, wed, drive and join the armed forces. If anyone looks down disapprovingly at your glass of wine for dinner, they need to realize that you are actually an adult.

A glass of wine at dinner is much more mature than binging at a party. Enjoy, and if anyone gets on your case (or your parents'), tell them civilly to MYOB.

When I was a 16 year old exchange student in Argentina, I often had wine or vermouth with soda water at dinner. Different cultures don't think of wine the way we do in the US, and I think that is a good thing.

I traveled with my two children who were between 18 and 21 and never had anyone say anthing at dinner or elsewhere. As long as you are responsbile there will be no problem. You are legally drinking on the cruise ship and don't forget that persons from other countries with lower drinking ages will be traveling with you.

We're sailing on the same cruise as you with our two sons, 21 & 18. As I've done for previous cruises I'll sign the waiver for them to drink. I find that most of the parents do. I've never noticed, and my older son has never mentioned, anyone making comments.

Join our roll call :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=247456

Hope to see you there and onboard!

If you have proven yourself trustworthy to your parents...enjoy the wine. It is a wonderful part of dining and enhances the taste of food.

The fact that you even investigated this, speaks volumes.

The last thing I want is for our tablemates to think badly of us, so I was just wondering how taboo this is. The cruise line allows it, but do passengers? Thanks

The fact that you are concerned about what others think is a show of maturity and worthy of kudos, but my take is that if it is "legal" then it is OK. My daughter (20) has wanted to have wine at home, but we remind her that it is not legal for us to serve it to her until she is 21. She's a good kid and if it were just up to me I'd give her some (we often try really good wines), but the law is the the law. The bigger principle is teaching kids that it counts for something. That said, I've been known to go a bit over the speed limit on the freeway so I guess I'm as big a hypocrite as anyone else :o...

I think a good wine really enhances a dinner (like a good salad, dessert, coffee, etc.) Why miss that experience... while you're at it try the soups too, they are also legal :rolleyes:

Tom

We just sailed with our 19 year old granddaughter in December; of course she drank. In her case not wine as she doesn't care for it, but we would be totally niave to think that she doesn't drink while away at college. Enjoy yourself, just make sure you do drink responsibly. too many accidents happen to young kids, especially girls from abusing alcohol, even on cruise ships. NMNita

Enjoy. Enjoy, Enjoy!

You sound like a highly responsible adult. Your parents also sound like responsible adults, & no one knows you better then your parents. Although my children(in their 30"s) will be accompaying us on a future RCCL cruise later this year I expect the same type of mature behavior from them.

Thank you for all of the helpful answers, both my parents and I really appreciate it. Also, thank you to the few of who commented on my maturity, I am very flattered. I will go ahead and enjoy my wine, now the only problem is what ones to pick; I'm definitely not skilled in the area of wine. I assume X will have very competent sommeliers for that though :D

Alright, this might get touchy, and if it does, I apologize. I will be 19 at cruise time, and we will be cruising this spring-break on the connie. My parents are signing the waiver for alcohol, because they know I won't abuse it, but my mother has a question for you all. Say you were our tablemates at dinner. Would you consider it bad form/offensive for me, as a 19 year old, to have a glass of wine with dinner. Would my parent's be open to scrutiny about it? The last thing I want is for our tablemates to think badly of us, so I was just wondering how taboo this is. The cruise line allows it, but do passengers? Thanks

\

This is a subject between you and your parents. How else does one learn to be responsible for one's actions? The bottom line is that it is none of anyone else's business (unless,as with anything, it interferes directly with other people.)

Would you consider it bad form/offensive for me, as a 19 year old, to have a glass of wine with dinner. Would my parent's be open to scrutiny about it? The last thing I want is for our tablemates to think badly of us, so I was just wondering how taboo this is. The cruise line allows it, but do passengers? Thanks

We're on your cruise next March and you are more than welcome to sit at our table!! I really don't think anybody would mind at all. Just so long as you're not planning to go take a drive somewhere afterward!!:D

As long as your parents are OK with it - so am I.

I still remember being unable to buy a drink legally in California after having served three years in the Regular Army - I always thought that stupid.

I had enlisted at 17, three days after graduating from high school, as I didn't feel ready for college at that time, and did not want the draft picking me up later at an inconvenient time.

Archived