NCL Alaska Cruisetour questions

bonvoyagie

We are planning a NB cruise in 2021 on the Jewel ( it is already booked) I am now looking at the options for a several day land tour add on. I see now that the cruisetour for that sailing is now on the past cruiser list so I can add a 7 day extension that incudes Fairbanks for about 3800.00. Most of the other land packages I have looked at are around 5000 or more for a similar 7 day trip. The package I am considering is the 14 day Authentic Alaska NB. 

I have searched this forum as well as the Alaska forum and don't find any reviews on NCL cruisetours. So I am looking at the collective here to see if I can get some ideas if they are worth their $$$. 

I did a 14 day SB cruisetour last summer (Anchorage to Seward on land) and thought it was worth every penny.  But I travel solo so other tours are more difficult to find and are usually more expensive - there was a solo discount when I went.

We had a fairly small group so plenty of space on the bus to be comfortable. Tour guide was great and everything was well planned.  Didn't hurt that the weather, wildlife and northern lights (Sep tour) cooperated!

5 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I see now that the cruisetour for that sailing is now on the past cruiser list so I can add a 7 day extension that incudes Fairbanks for about 3800.00.

Hi! We are on a NB Jewel next year. What do you mean the cruisetour is on the past cruiser list? Can you just add the land portion after the cruise itself is booked? I have a great price in a great cabin now and wouldn't want to have to rebook everything. I am trying to decide on a DIY 3-4 day post cruise tour or other options.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, Dawnya00 said:

Hi! We are on a NB Jewel next year. What do you mean the cruisetour is on the past cruiser list? Can you just add the land portion after the cruise itself is booked? I have a great price in a great cabin now and wouldn't want to have to rebook everything. I am trying to decide on a DIY 3-4 day post cruise tour or other options.

Thanks

The 2020 cruisetours were not listed on the past NCL guest list of cruises that get a 20% discount - only  few 2021 cruisetours. are now on the list . I have not heard of NCL allowing you to simply add on the land portion as they make them all part of the cruisetour. As long as you are not past final payment, you can call and do a cancel and rebook with the cruisetour instead of the cruise only. 

I too got a good deal on my cabin - and this would be a good deal on the cruisetour. - I am looking for folks who have taken the tour and want to know if it is any good. 

I have read both good and bad reviews of both Princess and RCCL - HAL seems to get good reviews but they also own Grey Lines of Alaska so they have lots of options.

• Like 1

Details are most important.  For me-  Alaska is never a point to point transit.  A huge negative for my preferences.  Getting IN to Denali is usually a highlight and Cruisetours don’t get.in far enough for me.   They also miss Seward on some tours.   

I suggest YOU make sure you want to spend your time at the stops.  I’ve seen way too many people doing little aimlessly in Fairbanks and Homer.   But there’s certainly plenty of excellent touring options. However both locales are grossly superior with a car.  Which frankly - entire Alaska is.   

9 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

We are planning a NB cruise in 2021 on the Jewel ( it is already booked) I am now looking at the options for a several day land tour add on. I see now that the cruisetour for that sailing is now on the past cruiser list so I can add a 7 day extension that incudes Fairbanks for about 3800.00. Most of the other land packages I have looked at are around 5000 or more for a similar 7 day trip. The package I am considering is the 14 day Authentic Alaska NB. 

I have searched this forum as well as the Alaska forum and don't find any reviews on NCL cruisetours. So I am looking at the collective here to see if I can get some ideas if they are worth their $$$. 

I highly suggest you that do some research, and instead of doing a cruisetour, that you book everything yourself and travel independently. I can almost assure you that your time in AK will be much better spent on your own instead of being herded around.

I am doing research - planning now for June 2021- I am asking for opinions on the NCL cruisetours to compare against other travel options - including everything from full DYI to using one of many tour options - including those offered by NCL. I specifically would like some feedback on the NCL tours.

I appreciate the general advise about touring AK - we are also considering  a full land touring our RV sometime in the next few years which would make this trip the exploratory one to see where we would want to spend more time then.

There were a couple of reviews the last couple of years for  them, since the search function is so screwy now it's easier to searches on a laptop or desktop.  You can use the "Search This Forum " filter that I can't find when I'm on my phone. 

Edited by Sauer-kraut

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

There were a couple of reviews the last couple of years for  them, since the search function is so screwy now it's easier to searches on a laptop or desktop.  You can use the "Search This Forum " filter that I can't find when I'm on my phone. 

I tried that and either came up with way too much to wade through or one or two threads.

6 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

I tried that and either came up with way too much to wade through or one or two threads.

I'm traveling at the moment so don't have access to my computer but when I get home I can get you a way to find links to the tour info you get with your edocs.  With a little creativity you should be able to find the pdf docs for the 2020 tours; 2021 might not be available since that's a long way away.  But I won't be home for another week.

10 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I appreciate the general advise about touring AK - we are also considering  a full land touring our RV sometime in the next few years which would make this trip the exploratory one to see where we would want to spend more time then.

Why do you feel the need to do a practice trip?    Sorry,   but the “exploratory” thinking is pretty worthless.  Alaska is a huge place. Cruise tours are extremely limited where they go  and are the “typical/ usual”  common tourist areas.    Have you been to Alaska before?  If yes you may want to include new locations?    

BQ  "practice trip" is not the same as an exploratory. a cruisetour of AK has been on our bucket list for the past few years. We happened upon some free FCC that has to be used by 2021 and decided to check it off. The RV trip is also on the list and may happen in 23 or 24. 

I have time now and a good part of 2020 to put this week together and I am trying to sort all of this out and weigh my options as to the best way to spend an extra week after the cruise - period. I am weighing the AKRR, Car Rentals, Tour companies that simply arrange tours- no guides, those with guides( like the NCL) and full DIY where either myself or my TA make all the arrangements.

All I want is feedback on that topic - so I can add it to my comparisons.