Dealing with civil unrest, riots, protests etc

zitsky

Please feel free to point me to an existing thread.  I'm thinking specifically of the Hong Kong protests.  I'm trying to convince my partner to take a cruise that starts in Hong Kong and ends in Singapore.  The problem is if protests shut down the HK airport (again).  Keep in mind the trip wouldn't happen for another year so by that time I would think the chance of the airport being closed would be minimal.  I've thought of the obvious things like going early, but in the case of HK, how early to go?

Is there any insurance that covers protests?

Yes

It is covered for certain expenses as listed under the Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation terms of your policy.

If you are a US citizen, the very first caveat is that a "formal recommendation in the form of a Travel Advisory or Travel Warning from the U.S. State Department is issued for a country PRECEEDING your arrival into that country on your trip, or if a country is an Excluded Country preceding your arrival into that country on your trip".

My TravelSafe policy has that wording. Most policies have similar wording. Even my Chase Sapphire Reserve has similar wording.