Just off Odyssey last week - 12/21

TT1992

On 1/4/2020 at 6:35 PM, teamflames said:

We have our 2nd Seabourn sailing coming up in April on the Encore. The op’s comments are almost identical to our experience on the Ovation a year ago. The quality of mixed drinks was so incredibly poor we had to give up. I also ordered a Margarita and it was undrinkable, 2 passengers near me didn’t believe me and also ordered them and both spat them out and were in shock. The waiter then offered to make them and his were tasteless but at least not disgusting. 

On my final day I sat by the pool all day and was not once offered a drink, dirty dishes were left on the table next to me for 8 hours until the F&B manager cleared them.

When I queried what beers were available I was told too many to mention and I would just have to request my favourites until they had one of them?

I sailed Crystal directly after this and the quality of drinks was first class so obviously their bar tenders are properly trained.

On the Seabourn web site, I see: "Partnered with Master mixologist Brian Van Flandern to create exclusive fine craft cocktails. Seabourn is pleased to partner with world-renowned mixologist Brian Van Flandern to transform the onboard spirits across our entire fleet. Guests will enjoy a number of fresh,  balanced, remarkably tasty, food-friendly cocktails with flavors from around the world. Additionally, he will work with our bar team to standardize the classics to provide guests with the same perfectly balanced and served cocktail throughout their cruise. Seems like Mr. Van Flandern has failed to teach his bar staff the proper way to make a simple drink.

Edited by Videopark
added material

6 hours ago, Videopark said:

On the Seabourn web site, I see: "Partnered with Master mixologist Brian Van Flandern to create exclusive fine craft cocktails. Seabourn is pleased to partner with world-renowned mixologist Brian Van Flandern to transform the onboard spirits across our entire fleet. Guests will enjoy a number of fresh,  balanced, remarkably tasty, food-friendly cocktails with flavors from around the world. Additionally, he will work with our bar team to standardize the classics to provide guests with the same perfectly balanced and served cocktail throughout their cruise. Seems like Mr. Van Flandern has failed to teach his bar staff the proper way to make a simple drink.

Well I am not sure when this started but it appears Seabourn is admitting that they were unable to even prepare the classics on a consistent basis. What a relief that they will make beverages that are “remarkably tasty”!?

Brian VF introduced several new drink menus, one in the Observation Bar and a second in the Club.  Bartenders needed to learn to make them to detailed specs.  For the most part I'm not a fan as I have my own ideas based on many years of experimenting at home and with good bartenders, but some work.  However I think Seabourn no longer has that relationship.   

Seabourn comedy stylings, July 2019...

"While every bartender on board is well-versed in the art of classic and contemporary cocktail-making, the line’s mixology program created through a partnership with world-renowned mixologist Brian Van Flandern keeps recipes fluid and intriguing, with local spirits – limoncello from Sorrento, for instance, or single malt Scotch from micro-distillers in Scotland – often fashioned into drinks that are reflective of the regions guests are traveling through.  

Whatever the beverage, Seabourn’s service staff are kept at the top of their game..."

"Keeps recipes fluid" may be the bad pun, Freudian slip of the year.