Sailing out of Charleston, Carnival Sunshine Jan 2020 what I need to know

tony_g51181

So I have never sailed out of Charleston even though its the closest port to me, (Augusta GA)!!! Anything I need to know about the port or advice on clothing for first day with it being the coast and possibly winter! (this weather can't decide lately)  Thanks

The whole parking deal is messed up lately since they reconfigured everything. It used to be easy. However, one you are inside it's not too bad. Strangely, you will go to a warehouse like building for initial check in and then board a shuttle to go across the parking lot to the terminal. Strange. They are pretty quick though. If you are parking at the port it is expensive ($20/day) and the traffic is terrible. Unfortunately there are not a lot of offsite options. We live in NC and are also fairly close but we found that we can go 1 day ahead, get a hotel (not in old town, but in North Charleston or over the bridge) and either use the hotel shuttle or get an Uber all for about the same price as parking and it is about the same cost as paying to park at the port. A lot less stressful too. There are a lot of hotels that will let you leave your car for free and a lot even have a shuttle, sometimes free, sometimes not.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:19 PM, tony_g51181 said:

So I have never sailed out of Charleston even though its the closest port to me, (Augusta GA)!!! Anything I need to know about the port or advice on clothing for first day with it being the coast and possibly winter! (this weather can't decide lately)  Thanks

I live in Charleston.  Weather from November to April is a total crap shoot.  Typically, it can be 40 degrees or it can be 75.  And actually, between those months it will go back and forth randomly.   Two years ago in early January we had several days where it barely got above freezing and we had 4" of snow.  There have also been times I've seen it hit 80 in January, though 40-75 is the more typical range.  Check the forecast 1-3 days before you leave to know whether embarkation day will be a shorts & tees day or a jeans and fleece day.