Sun vs. Pearl

weltek

It looks like the Sun was refurbished more recently than the Pearl, so that has me considering choosing it over the Pearl for a 2021 Southern Caribbean. Any thoughts? Or knowledge of other refurb work coming up for the Pearl (I assume it's way too soon for a full dry dock)? 

Edited by weltek

The Pearl is a lovely ship, and got the full “Edge” treatment in 2017. 

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-pearl-shines-shipwide-enhancements

The Pearl has a Haven, the Sun does not.  If you’re not planning to splurge on a suite in the Haven, the main difference will be in the size of the ship, with the Pearl having more and bigger public spaces. While the Pearl is a large ship by any means, it’s not a mega ship, and is now in the middle of the NCL fleet, whereas the Sun is smaller. 

To me, the entire Jewel class (Jade, Pearl, Gem, Jewel) are the perfect size and range of amenities for most NCL cruises, and I have chosen them consistently over the larger and smaller NCL ships when a similar itinerary is being offered. That being said, I have always sailed in a Haven suite except on the Star and the POA which don’t offer the Haven. 

Thanks-we are not doing the Haven (dreams for a retirement splurge in 15 years!), so it's less of an issue. I haven't sailed a Jewel class ship, so the Pearl would be a completely new experience. I didn't love the Dawn and Star for layouts (except pool area), and someone recently summed up my main reasoning: Few spots to nestle in for some reading, walking and ocean gazing. The new mega ships have definitely addressed that problem in spades, but did the jewel class ships? 

We are just off the Pearl. We found it Ship-Shape!

One quiet place for a book is the library, Deck 12 forward.

We also splurged for a Thermal Spa pass for the cruise. On our cruise, it was the least populated place on the ship.

We have not been on the Sun. I will not sail on a megaship...

I'm not a fan of the Sun although some do like it.  The buffet is tiny although there is a Great Outdoors which Pearl has as well.

The Sun does have the best mini-suites and the suites are nice too.  I'd pick a Jewel Class over the Sun.

• Like 1

I like them both also. Is 1 itinerary better or the same? I did the Sun in May and again next week and The Pearl years ago. The feel on the Sun is a good one. A very happy ship. Maybe more options on the Pearl for entertainment at night but I'm not positive. Have a look and good luck, let us know what ya pick!