Malaria precautions for New Guinea?

8 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I wonder why that is. Oh, well, happy to go along with that - assume it's some sort of customs requirement.

I think you are correct. The local authorities would want to know if goods are being left with the local people and probably that the goods are in commercial quantities.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm travelling in a few weeks time to several ports in New Guinea on a cruise including Alotau, Rabaul, Kiriwina and the Conflict Islands. I see that all of these are within the Malaria zone and wondered whether cruisers usually take the Malaria medication? I've known people with Malaria, and also those who have had adverse reactions to the medication so I'm trying to avoid either of those outcomes!

Have any of you travelled by ship to New Guinea and encountered this decision yourselves? I'd love some help! Of course I wouldn't be on land overnight and would be taking the usual precautions to avoid mosquito bites. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

We didn't see any mozzies as we were back on the ship for the evenings but as mentioned, wear long sleeve shirts and take some Bushman's 80% DEET or stronger bug cream with you. 

You may want to check out  the 'Cruise PNG' group on the FB media site, lots of great information and the forms as well so you can print them off. John Hocknull who administers the page is a regular guest on cruises and does lectures and is full of all the latest information for visiting.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We didn't see any mozzies as we were back on the ship for the evenings but as mentioned, wear long sleeve shirts and take some Bushman's 80% DEET or stronger bug cream with you. 

You may want to check out  the 'Cruise PNG' group on the FB media site, lots of great information and the forms as well so you can print them off. John Hocknull who administers the page is a regular guest on cruises and does lectures and is full of all the latest information for visiting.

Oh that's wonderful information - thanks very much, MicCanberra. I'll do a search for them.

• Like 1