General dress code for ports in Europe

rene194215

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

Hmmm, exactly the opposite happens to me.

In non Englsh-speaking countries, when I walk up to the counter of a shop or sit at a bar, I'm asked what I would like in English. This is without me saying a word or wearing or carrying anything that provides a clue. :classic_huh:

Just how do they know?????

But I don't have the same problem abroad with Brits.

On more than one occasion on my travels I've been approached in the street by Brits asking me for directions to the rail station, cathedral or wherever, in halting French or Italian or German.

Just how do they not know?

JB :classic_smile:

For the non English speaking countries your tell might be how you carry yourself as much as what you wear or carry.  Hairstyle, accessories (or lack of), hands in/out of pockets, amount of personal space you leave between others - any number of little things.

I have often found your posts very helpful here, and while obviously given from your UK perspective you seem to clearly understand the culture of others.  Perhaps in person you also give that vibe of someone both knowledgable and willing to help and the other Brits assume you are a local since they are seeking a friendly local to help them and ignore the signs that you are a traveler too.

I sometimes have people ask me for help at a store.  I don't work there, have no name tag or shop uniform, and often am carrying a purse so I don't know why I'm not recognized as another shopper 🙂 Maybe a similar situation.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hokas are just ridiculous; a girl could fall to her death trying to run, let alone walk, in those. :classic_biggrin:

But seriously, a lot of the shoes shown in that article have soles that are plenty thick. 

Things have changed, even in the last couple of years. Before, it was all about the "urban sneaker" (like Supergas).  Now you really do see the American-style athletic shoes on non-Americans.  I saw plenty of 'em in Rome last fall...  Along with shop windows featuring full-out athleisure looks.

Edited to add:  I actually like the Celebrity commercial, it's very distinctive. Some seem to have real issues with it. Go figure...

O/T

What I don't get about the Celebrity commercial is it being used for Celebrity rather than Royal since Wonderland is on Royal ships.

Back on topic, I didn't quite get the article since I saw both several white sneakers listed and some of the New Balance looked like what I would find at my local running store.  Not sure what they meant by actual athletic shoes.