General dress code for ports in Europe

rene194215

I prefer to blend in when I am abroad but I always seem to get found out.

It may be because of the handkerchief on my head, or the union Jack budgie smugglers, or maybe the white socks and jesus sandal combo. Or because of my loud complaints that I cant get a sunday roast on a Tuesday lunch time in florence at a pizza restaurant.

5 hours ago, Twickenham said:

-Wear natural fibres. I can't emphasize this enough - it makes such a difference. Cotton and linen are your new best friends😁. No joke, a good pair of linen pants will be cooler than any pair of shorts you can wear;

I agree, loose fitting linen pants are far more comfortable than shorts.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

erI prefer to blend in when I am abroad but I always seem to get found out.

It may be because of the handkerchief on my head, or the union Jack budgie smugglers, or maybe the white socks and jesus sandal combo. Or because of my loud complaints that I cant get a sunday roast on a Tuesday lunch time in florence at a pizza restaurant.

This is not about you but somewhat about others from the UK.  DW and I will sometimes spend hours sitting at a café in the Piazza Navona (our favorite spot in Rome) and just People Watching.  We will sometimes see English tour groups consisting of mostly ladies wearing sturdy walking shows and heavy woolen skirts (generally quite long).  It could be 40 and these ladies are still wearing the same thing.  To say that they "stand out" in the crowd is an understatement.  And then there are the Americans with their fanny packs (bum packs for you Brits) and always carrying a bottle of water.  

Hank

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The hot sun on bare, exposed skin will heat you up as fast or faster than being a bit more covered. 

Only is you have lots of moving air to help move the warmed air from under and through those layers.  That's why skirts are cooler (though they can still be very uncomfortable for some women), but pants?  Not really loose enough to allow breezes to help cool, and instead they just kind of trap warm air next to your body.

I've worn shorts and carried a very light weight broomstick skirt that could easily be slipped when covered knees were required. 

Sometimes I'll wear light weight pants instead. Capris sound nice but they never look right on me - I'm short and feel like the proportion never looks right. 

I am probably being naive here, but why are so many concerned with covering their knees?

I have never been in a church that requires this (not that I have been in that many).

Unless the knees in question are just gruesome. But then they should be permanantly covered. I mean, if they offend a priest then they could offend me. Whats so special about the priest in this context?

4 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I am probably being naive here, but why are so many concerned with covering their knees?

I have never been in a church that requires this (not that I have been in that many).

Unless the knees in question are just gruesome. But then they should be permanantly covered. I mean, if they offend a priest then they could offend me. Whats so special about the priest in this context?

UMMM... really thought it was common etiquette to cover your knees and shoulders in the historical churches in Europe. 

There are only a few places I've ever worn shorts in Europe.  The Acropolis, the Roman Forum/Colosseum, and Pompei.  

They were longer "Bermuda" length to just above my knee.  I knew I would not be going into any churches while visiting those places.

Any other time I've worn lighter weight jeans, capris, or linen slacks.  I wear tops with at least a cap sleeve. 

I carry a lightweight scarf in my bag to toss over my head when entering an Orthodox church or Synagogue.  (My husband carries a Kippa folded in his pocket for the same reason.)

Don't forget the sun block under the clothes--the sun is very strong in most of those places during the summer months.

13 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

You obviously haven't traveled to places where covering shoulders and knees is a requirement.  And yes, it IS a requirement in any number of religious buildings.  

59 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I mean, had any female on here ever been in a church and been chased out for showing a bit of leg? What is it? The 1920s?

You don't get chased out but you might not be let in. From what I have seen it depends on the country. In Spain I noticed people in cathedrals who clearly were not dressed to code but nobody seemed to be regulating it. On the other extreme in Croatia there was a public beach in front of a Monastery that had high wall between it and the beach and yet the monks were enforcing a dress code on the public beach😳

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

It's called being respectful of the religious customs in any given country. And it isn't limited to Catholic churches in Europe. Modest dress requirements (some VERY strict) are also common for synagogues, mosques and temples all over the world. It has nothing to do with offending the priest/rabbi/imam etc. And since so many tourists have proved that they can't be trusted to comply with customs, rules and rule enforcement had to be implemented in religious sites that see high numbers of tourists.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

Fair enough. Like I said I am not a religious type so visiting religious places doesnt float my boat. And being British probably doesnt help in that regard. I have been in St Pauls Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey, but my wife didnt get hung drawn and quartered for showing some knee. Infact I am remembering right it was a very hot day, and think i might have shorts on too. Which is rare for me. It didnt cross my mind it could be breaking some rule. Especially with my lush legs.

The conservative Catholic and Orthodox churches are the ones with conservative dress codes. Nobody's going to bat an eye about people wearing shorts and tank tops walking into York Minster. They just don't want you dripping ice cream on anything.

It's easy enough to read ahead about the places you want to go, and plan an outfit accordingly. Covering shoulders is as easy as tossing a scarf on. Covering knees is as easy as carrying (or buying) a light skirt to slip on, or tying a sarong around your waist, or wearing a long skirt or pants for that day.

• Like 1

There is no 'dress code'.  It is a little silly to be concerned about white track shoes or colored ones.   You can dress how you want but the locals will spot you a mile a way.  Hair styles, hair color, clothing-color and cut, shoes.   The way you walk, talk, and even shop.   

Not to mention loud speaking, maps, cameras, fanny packs, gawking...you name it.  Moreover some of the locals find amusement in watching the tourists 'blend' in.

For numerous years we have spent 6-8 weeks in Europe each fall.  We travel light and we take and wear what is most comfortable and what travels well.    My advice would be to spend your time researching your destinations instead of fretting about 'blending in' because you will not.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Did you look at the link I shared?

Yeah, I looked at it. Basically a click bait article shilling for Zappos. Click on any of her links- that's where they go. Lots of Europeans wear white athletic shoes.

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I mean, had any female on here ever been in a church and been chased out for showing a bit of leg? What is it? The 1920s?

If the Vatican is happy to let me admire the priceless treasures of St Peter’s Basilica for free, it seems to me to be the least I can do to respect their requests.  Their building, their rules.  And I follow the same requests in other churches out of common courtesy.  Although courtesy seems increasingly uncommon these days.

• Like 6