Currency for French Polynesia

JudeK

2 hours ago, JudeK said:

I had read that Euros are accepted in French Polynesia. We have some euros from a recent trip can we use these or must we buy French Polynesian Francs?

Howdy JudeK! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. 👍 However, please note the following information is at the top of each page in the forum:

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

Since your new thread on the forum concerns a specific Port of Call, I have moved your thread to the Ports of Call - Pacific Islands, All forum where it will be on-topic. Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members will have already posted questions and received answers that will help you..

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience, and you might win a prize from Cruise Critic! emo34.gif See the latest list of winners: Write a Review and You May Win a Prize Like These Members Did! (January 9, 2020)

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!  emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!

3 hours ago, JudeK said:

I had read that Euros are accepted in French Polynesia. We have some euros from a recent trip can we use these or must we buy French Polynesian Francs?

Jude K,

Euros are widely accepted in FP but not all DIY tour providers accept them- have to ask. Large grocery stores accept them but vendors outside of that, like taxi drivers ...I don't know. Have to wait for TBK to weigh in.

The problem is that that the exchange rate is not favorable to you- if you exchange at an FP bank prior to your cruise you'll probably do better. There are several banks close to the pier in Papeete- Banque Socredo, Banque de Polynesie, and Bank of Tahiti. Google "banks close to Papeete cruise port".

Enjoy your cruise!

3 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Howdy JudeK! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. 👍 However, please note the following information is at the top of each page in the forum:

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

Since your new thread on the forum concerns a specific Port of Call, I have moved your thread to the Ports of Call - Pacific Islands, All forum where it will be on-topic. Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members will have already posted questions and received answers that will help you..

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience, and you might win a prize from Cruise Critic! emo34.gif See the latest list of winners: Write a Review and You May Win a Prize Like These Members Did! (January 9, 2020)

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!  emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Jude K,

Euros are widely accepted in FP but not all DIY tour providers accept them- have to ask. Large grocery stores accept them but vendors outside of that, like taxi drivers ...I don't know. Have to wait for TBK to weigh in.

The problem is that that the exchange rate is not favorable to you- if you exchange at an FP bank prior to your cruise you'll probably do better. There are several banks close to the pier in Papeete- Banque Socredo, Banque de Polynesie, and Bank of Tahiti. Google "banks close to Papeete cruise port".

Enjoy your cruise!

Just what I wanted to know. When we were in Tahitit many years ago, they only accepted Polynesian Francs. Thank you.

Using Euros in Papeete is just fine though you may not get the best exchange rate. Often local vendors give a 100/1 exchange on the USD. Currently the official exchange rate has been `107/1 or slightly better. So it's best to exchange and get local currency. Of course the opposite it true as well. A decade ago I recall the exchange rate was 66/1   ..... but local vendors often still use a rate of 100/1  .... so back then you wanted to use the USD when possible  .... 

But back to your question  .... in Papeete it isn't a problem using Euros but going to other islands in FP it could be a problem with small the smaller vendors.