A chance to vent.

Thom524

When I book a cruise now I also do dummy booking for various larger rooms 

Todate and thats 4 cruises every upgrade email I have received the minimum bid is MORE than if I had originally booked it AND you would get the full benefits 

Not saying this happens everytime but it has for me 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, BerlinLink said:

does anyone know if those who book guaranteed cabins get these emails too? It would be kind of ironic IMO - I book a guarantee minimum ocean view for example. Now I can pay extra to get a guarantee balcony. In both cases, I don't know exactly what I get or get to pick my room.

Our very first cruise we booked a guaranteed (Costa, not RCL) inside cabin for cheap. We ended up getting an ocean view room and were very happy with it.

Yes.

I have an upcoming guaranteed OV and received Royal Up offer to Balcony or JR Suite.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

The same thing that is happening on airlines that used to give relatively last minute comp upgrades to first class to their most frequent flyers.....they figured out that they could make a ton of money by offering those seats for an "upgrade" price to others instead.  Now cruise lines are jumping on the same bandwagon. 

By the way, if you think $500 is insulting to upgrade to a balcony cabin for an entire week, try getting an offer from an airline to upgrade for $547 for a flight that is only 42 minutes in the air. 

Not true.  High level frequent fliers get upgrades before the low price upgrades.

May be true for lower level FF.

38 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not true.  High level frequent fliers get upgrades before the low price upgrades.

May be true for lower level FF.

I participate in several forums for Delta Diamond medallion members.  I can assure you that recently there are a TON on instances of upgrade offers going out ahead of complimentary medallion upgrades.