West end beach, resorts, drivers, and accessibility issues.

mlbcruiser

My DH and I want to he’s our day in Roatan to head over to West Bay Beach. Not certain if we can just show up there without a day pass at some resort and be able to find chairs and access the beach or not. If we do decide to locate at a resort, we would want one near the south end of the beach where snorkeling is supposed to be the best. I will be snorkeling, but my DH can no longer dive or snorkel. His right arm and leg are affected so his walking and balance are not the most stable. However he can walk a little way although he will be using a scooter on board the ship. I am considering renting a travel scooter that folds in half because I think it might be easy enough to stow in a taxi trunk. It might be nice to take it with us in case we want to go over to the town of west end and get a looksee at that as well.

Would it be best to take a taxi to and from, from place to place? Or should we hire a driver? Not sure what the custom is in Roatan with regard to using one taxi driver for all our trsnsportation that day or if this would make the price higher or lower?  Would have to be someone super reliable if they were going to drop us at the beach and then pick us up.  Is it super easy to grab a cabback to the port from West Bay and west end? Also wondering what we should expect to pay? We are NOT interested in seeing sloths, iguana, botanical gardens  or things that we have done or seen in other places numerous times. Would enjoy just the scenery on the way to the beach with maybe a stop or 2 at a good vantage points.

I have seen mention of a few resorts at West Bay and would appreciate recommendations for those (especially the ones towards the southern half of the beach ) or about drivers. Any other helpful information also appreciated.

I'm sure everyone on this board has their fav spot on West Bay.  I personally would not take a taxi to West Bay.  Catching one for a return is chancy and while many drivers will say they'll come back and pick you up, many do not or come at a wrong time.

But I suggest you give Bananarama a close look.

They will pick you up in a van.  There is a drive and parking area where they drop you off and the beach is a few steps away.  You can connect with a small boat for snorkeling and, if able, your DH can go along and just sit in the boat.  Bananarama will bring you back to the ship when ever you wish.

You didn't say which ship you are on but access to transportation is easier in Coxen Hole if on an RCCL or NCL ship.

If on a Carnival, Princess, HAL ship, you dock at Mahogany Bay.  There is a relatively steep climb from the pier to the main shopping area. to catch the van for any vendor not linked to a ship excursion, you also need to go outside the cruise port and over a hill to the parking area for outside vendors.  So a travel scooter would be useful at Mahogany Bay.

Thanks so much for your reply. I think some friends of ours went to Bananarama a couple of years ago. I spoke to the wife last week and she didn’t quite remember the name but she Guessed and got it right! I know it took time to write that reply and appreciate that a lot. With my husband’s  issues I definitely like to find out as much as I can ahead of time. Plan to head to that area but I’m not sure if we will wind up at Bananarama or maybe at Infiniti Bay. Somewhere in that vicinity though for sure. I need to make arrangements but some things came up unexpectedly this past week that have taken all of my attention and time. I know I need to get with the program or may end up scrambling at the last minute. Looking forward to visiting the area more than any of the other destinations on our cruise. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Another option that would possibly work well for you is to book a private driver through Rony's tours.  It is only $80 for a private driver/guide.  They would be able to take you wherever you wanted to go including West End or West Bay, and give you a scenic tour on the way.  The only drawback would be if you were docking at Mahogany Bay, as the meeting point is a bit of a walk.  They also stopped at a local grocery store so we could buy some Honduran coffee at a good price.  It's nice to be in control of your own excursion for the day.  

Thanks for that suggestion. However other than stopping at a good viewpoint or two we are predominately planning to just hang out at the beach. Don’t know that a driver would want to wait for us when we likely won’t know how much time we want to spend at the beach until we get there and see how things go. West End area is the only other place I’m thinking that we might want to spend a little bit of time In but not really sure. (DH’s mobility and stamina could end up influencing that.) unfortunately a family member is in the hospital and this has taken up a lot of my time. Haven’t been able to focus on this issue as much as I would have liked. Just got a find some time and get to it, but there are other things I have to find time to get to as well, LOL! Hopefully soon I will have it all worked out. Romy’s certainly isn’t out of the realm of possibility though. 

Edited by mlbcruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I know you are still in the planning process, but both times I have used Rony's the driver stayed near a meeting point along the beach and just had us come get him when we were ready to go (your group would be their client for the whole day so they are willing to wait as long as you want). I think the last time I went we stayed at the beach at West Bay for about 2 hours before heading to grab lunch in the West End.  

Sounds like a good plan,  O-state girl. It’s just going to be my husband and I but it would be nice to do exactly what you did and head over to West End at some point.

A couple of days ago I emailed   Infinity Bay but have yet to hear back from them. Not that it’s been that long, but if we cannot get a day pass there,   I really need to find out soon so I can make some other type of plan.  I have read that they can provide transportation as well. Thanks so much for your help!