Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

Sorry about jsut getting back to you Bob' date='

In Belize the tendering did not require tickets.. Only in Cozumel....

The tender ride is about 15 minutes, we arrived in Belize about 8:15 am ... and we were at the pier before 10 am .... and really just took our time getting there, In fact our tender was not even full.....

Good luck and enjoy..[/quote']

Great, thx for the word, we were hoping we didn't have to wait for the tour ppl to get tendered before we could go. I'll be first in line with my nose pushed up against the window on the tender boat :-)

BTW, what was the charge for the reservations-only supper club?

-Bob

Sorry about jsut getting back to you Bob' date='

In Belize the tendering did not require tickets.. Only in Cozumel....

The tender ride is about 15 minutes, we arrived in Belize about 8:15 am ... and we were at the pier before 10 am .... and really just took our time getting there, In fact our tender was not even full.....

Good luck and enjoy..[/quote']

Hi Lisa

How did you like Belize? That is where we are going this time!:)

zydecocruiser: Those are Awesome Pictures!:)

Bob7,

I had also booked an independent tour in Belize, and was concerned about getting to the pier on time for it too. (I was to meet my tour guide at 8:00am).

The night before we arrived in Belize, the matrade' made an announcement at dinner, that anyone who had an independent tour booked for Belize should meet a Carnival representative in the Disco at 7:00am to get their tender ticket.

I arrived at the disco at 7:00am as instructed, but there was no Carnival rep there. There were about a dozen other passengers there waiting for a rep also, and everyone was getting nervous.

Finally, about 7:30 a rep showed up with his card table & a box of tickets.

I had brought with me my confirmation printout for my tour stating that I am to meet my guide promptly at 8:00 on the pier, and explained my situation to the rep. He didn't seem to care too much, and told the next person in line to step forward. I was FURIOUS, and determined NOT to miss this tour, so went directly up to the pursers desk to explain my situation. He asked to see my sail & sign card, took it, and went back to a computer, came back in about 2 minutes with a hand written note on a piece of Carnival stationary that said please give Ms.____________ priority tender service ashore ASAP. then signed his name, and told me to give this to the security guard at the gangway. I was THRILLED at the way he handled this situation, and went back down to the gangway. I gave the note to the security guard, and he told me to have a seat.

Not 5 minutes later, he came over to me, and told me that the 1st tender had just arrived, and he will be putting me on it (by myself!!). He helped me accross the gangway, and the driver of the tender came back to secure my seatbelt, then FLOORED IT all the way to the pier!

I felt a bit guilty about being the only person on the tender, but at the same time, was relieved when we arrived at the pier, and saw a man standing there holding a sign with my name on it:-)

ahhhh, I had made it:-)

My guess is is that the purser must have looked up my past history with Carnival, from my folio#, and seen that this was my 19th cruise with them so gave me me the letter for being a loyal customer.

Not sure if every cruise is the same (meeting in the disco at 7am) but this is how mine was, so listen for an announcement the night before, and also be sure to check your capers to see when & where you should get your tickets. Might also be a good idea to bring a printout of your tour confirmation with you. (just in case you need it)

Hope this helps.

Annie

Well Well,

I didn't think this was the thread for Cozumel and Belize but there seems to be lots on these ports than Costa Maya.

The people at CC go to a lot of work to resolve these problems through site design. Please restrict comments to the appropriate port of call.

Costa Maya Beaches - Mahajual is a nice little village with beach only a few kilometers down the road form the port. While the port pool and restaurants are very commercial, Mahajual retains that old Mexican sea village feeling and the people are friendly.

Ciao for now!!

zydeococruiser your pictures always rock. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the ones you had of the Valor.

Question - in your first post of pictures, the third picture in the ship category - what beach is that? That looks exactly like what we'll want that day. Anyone know and also, does anyone know if they have bar service for drinks - cokes, beer, etc.

Thank you. Sorry, didn't see your post. But now that I did, not sure which picture you are talking about? In this thread or somewhere else?

Cool. Are the golf carts something you rent also or is it sort of like a taxi service? Probably a stupid question but I'd like to know so we can plan to go there because it's GORGEOUS.

Yes, as answered, you rent them... Didn't seem like a good deal to me. The main drag of the town is pedestrians only, so you have to park them and walk anyway. If you were going exploring - like to the resort next door and other parts then maybe ?? Think the only reason I would rent one would be for the pleasure of driving it - not just for pure transportationl.

NTuz2Hr47Adn3BZdAXvioJlcZ+wVlwPi0300.jpg

7GvI96NOxEHkAMv99lHEmGLOm5VGMpI70300.jpg

Great, thx for the word, we were hoping we didn't have to wait for the tour ppl to get tendered before we could go. I'll be first in line with my nose pushed up against the window on the tender boat :-)

BTW, what was the charge for the reservations-only supper club?

-Bob

Bob

we didn't do the supper club, but it was $ 30.00 they call it a nominal fee...LOL

but I am not sure if that is each or a couple, I assumed each....

And it was not very busy, each night on our walk we would walk by the outside and there were many tables empty.. The food in the dining room was delicious... to say the least..

I did a 4 part review... on the Miracle :)

Hi Lisa

How did you like Belize? That is where we are going this time!:)

zydecocruiser: Those are Awesome Pictures!:)

It was a neat place, we jsut took a taxi tour outside the pier, for $ 15.00 each there was the 3 of us and a lady form the Legend.. it was a great way to see the city, and we returned to the vendors on the street, had a couple of beers at the pier and then headed back to the ship.. Next time I will try cave tubbing...

Belize had 6 inches of rain that week ( I think a day or 2 earlier ) and Carnival cancelled the cave tubbing becasue the river was so high...

But cavetubbing.com was still taking people who wanted to go, they were doing 22 people to one tour guide and normally Carnival does 8 people and one tour guide...

So maybe the next trip...

Ronnie, relax, no need for web police.

Annie, thx for all the detail. You must have broken the record for first person ashore by tender! Actually, that has to be the best tender boat story on C.C.

I think Belize time is 1 hour earlier than ship time until April, is that what you found? Your message said you were on CCL, was it the Miracle? If so, did it have 2 or 4 dinner seating times?

-Bob

This is all from Chac-Chi Website:

Description

When you stay in Chac-Chi you will relax in a friendly atmosphere. Sand, sea and sun are the basic commodities. Enjoy yourself exploring or watching nature, reading a couple of good books, snorkeling or diving at the reefs, walking at he lonely beaches and watching the stars at night. Here you are far from the crowded beaches of Cancun or the Mayan Riviera.

Chac-Chi has it's own restaurant and bar with the most beautiful view of the area.

Feel the soft breeze moving through your hair and see wonderful ocean with it's variuos tones of blue and green and turquoise while you are sitting down eating fresh seafood. The restaurant specializes in seafood, but we also make Mexican food at your request.

We created Chac-Chi to make low impact in the environment. You will have the comfort you search for while you respect the surroundings.

Location: Mahahual (Majahual) - Uvero beachroad, 4.5 km north.

ce4b258b120913403a97675bacbfa98d.jpg

abddd218d7b0b9fc5e0dea60cde9a641.jpg

7a8bfc193de08f1dae4bad276e6c982a.jpg

fc39ed2813f13dd392a6aef91e35007b.jpg

77d016c87aae38782f49ebc4cbaa5d29.jpg

Ronnie, relax, no need for web police.

Annie, thx for all the detail. You must have broken the record for first person ashore by tender! Actually, that has to be the best tender boat story on C.C.

I think Belize time is 1 hour earlier than ship time until April, is that what you found? Your message said you were on CCL, was it the Miracle? If so, did it have 2 or 4 dinner seating times?

-Bob

Dang, I keep getting notices about new posts to this thread thinking it is something good, and it is just more about Belize. :(

See the earlier post by Zydecocruiser. (1st page of postings) It has some great pix and great info.

I found two websites:

http://www.costamaya-chacchi.com/

http://www.xcalak.info/rentals/index.php?pid=41&user=det

Check 'em out!

imagen9.png

imagen25.jpg

Cruise Days

When you get to Costa Maya by cruise take a good view to the left, (it's to the right when looking ashore) that's Chac-Chi.

The first thing you should know is that Chac-Chi is open, we are a ecological resort that offers beachfront 12 cabins each with 2 double beds. Chac-Chi offer a unique privacy for your vacations that can't be found on the crowded beaches of Cancun or the Mayan Riviera.

Chac-Chi gives you a truly alternative vacation experience in our rustic, seaside cabins. Our cabanas are located in the tropical jungle by the sea and all have direct beach access.

Maybe you would have wonder how to get there? It's so close to the peer, how I get in? This entrance is located 2 miles south from the deviation to Mahahual town . This entrance is by a natural-recreational park, that is approximately 4 miles long, this is a beautifull jungle tour. During the ride you can enjoy the natural flora and fauna of the region.

mapa_chacchi2.GIF

You've already answered my next question...wondering about if they allow cruise guests. How do you get there? Two km north of Mahajal? Assume you would have to hire a taxi? Has anyone been to this place? It looks great but I have visions of getting to this kind of "rustic" place which is fine and not having a way back to the cruise ship!

Well, here's one way I was told you could get there quicker:

"The way to get in is by walking outside the cruise plaza and take the first turn right. There is a a building called "comisariato" is were local workers go to eat. There is a fence that has a sign that says "Private Property Do not enter." Don't pay attention to the sign. There is a hole in the fence to the right, pass thought it. Continue walking and to the right you will find a road. Walk on that road and you will get to the resort. There is no problem to pass by the fence."

Earlier in this thread, MARK confirmed this when he wrote:

A few years ago, I walked over to that resort. Ater exiting the Costa Maya gates, I turned right and walked past the warning signs. I had a couple of beers at the beach bar and snorkeled out by the rocks.

We will be stopping in Costa Maya in a couple of weeks, and I was thinking of trying to walk over there again.

Tracy

Here is a response from an e-mail I sent to the resort adjacent to the pier. The beach here looked much nicer than the cruise ships beach when we visited in 2004.

Hi, we are open and you are allowed to enter freely with us. The truth is

that the plaza owners have try to avoid people to come with us that's why they put that private property sign.

To come to our resort you have to walk outside the peer plaza and take the first right. There is a street that ends with a fence that says "Private

Property Do not pass", don't listen to that sign there is a hole in the

fence to the right you can go through, if not you can un tie the fence in

the front and tie it again after you go through.

Continue walking and you will find a road in the jungle to the right. Walk in that road and you will get to the resort. It's less than 10 min walk to get to the resort from the plaza.

We have restaurant were serve seafood, mexican food, beer and tropical

drinks. We have chairs so you can rest in the beach and take a tan and a

soccer, basketball and volleyball court that you can use.

We will be glad to have you with us.

Joaquín R.

Wow, it's interesting how many different rumors get started, so as a land owner on the other side of the port (towards town), I thought I'd clarify a few things.

The big white building in the photos at the beginning of this thread is not abandoned, etc. In fact, its a brand new 60 room Holiday Inn that just opened this week.

You are right, the port owner pulled a dirty and now none of his neighbors will sell any more land to him. He put up those big illegal walls to keep cruisers in. No cement is allowed to be used within 66' of the water unless a permit is obtained from the environmental dept. Since fences can only keep people out, but not in, it is illegal on many fronts. There is also supposed to be a boardwalk that go's from the port to town; look and you will see the 8' wide path that he agreed to with the state, as a condition for being allowed to build the port. Two years after the port was built and a lot of passengers were walking along the path to town, he illegally built that wall. He previoulsy built the wall blocking off Cha Chi because he renigged on their deal when they got too much business over there.

As far as I've heard, the owner of Tapas Bar, Fabio pulled at least one land scam in the area and papers have been unsuccessfully served. If he is seen, he could get served and he is supposed to appear in court in Chetumal on the matter. Personally, I would never eat at a thief's place.

The homes and businesses you see as you drive out of the port are all privately owned; they have nothing to do with the port, except that they are part of the master-planned community. Anyone can buy any of the land or homes there, even you; the real estate office is within the port, next to the shoe store if I recall (not Trans Caribbean, the other one.)

Changes are on the horizon, in a another year, you won't recognize the place...

The Holiday Inn is not on the beach, in fact, you would not know the ocean is anywhere near there unless you were on the ocean-facing side and at least a few stories up due to the trees. (It's the white building at the beginning of this post).

Don't know about their restaurant situation. If they have one, I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to eat there.

C

Archived