Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

thanks to everyone for the directions to this resort!!! i was in Costa Maya last tuesday and just after our Dave and Ivan Chaccoben Tour we "snuck into" this great little spot!! We were the only ones there (another couple was leaving as we walked in!)

One thing to note though is that the owner no longer recomends going the route that is described here (even though thats the way we went! with no problems!) Apparently the lot behind the fence is now "Closed" as he put it...... So what is a stuggling resort owner to do in this situation?! Build his own road!! thats what!!

The day we were there he had nearly reached the hole in the fence with his "new" road! i would say there was 100m left to go...... i have a map he drew for me so that we could find our way back..... i will post it and some of our pics as soon as i get some sleep.... but for now anyone looking for it just look for a trail/road lined with trees painted white and yellow leading away from the same hole in the fence into the jungle!!

happy cruising!

here are a few pics from my time at the Chac Chi resort:

it looks like i can only upload 5 pics at a time..... so i'll try to post again and upload a few more.... on the last pic you can see the trees painted white and yellow (signifying the new "road")

945455197_Cruise2006044small.jpg.568b75d6d4c9ec9db5db5e44ffe1dd1f.jpg

1143445266_Cruise2006045small.jpg.1d522dd622971cb1cda073ff4d573f17.jpg

1955292375_Cruise2006060small.jpg.c5eb065b7deff474f10e411440521856.jpg

897623883_Cruise2006062small.jpg.37160155b9b52cdc0a2ac6313a29d3ad.jpg

1901084178_Cruise2006066small.jpg.1802240473542a206b7475ce92513c77.jpg

the first pic shows where the "new" road meets the original road.... i'm standing on the new road and the van is facing the "old" way in...

the second pic shows my friend and his wife being helped through the barbed wire by the owner of the resort and his son! they plan to cut the barbed wire so they can complete their road! you can see on the left of the pic where the new road construction has ended! this is just 100m from the hole in the fence..... so to use this new roadjust head through the hole and walk straight down a trail in the jungle till you get to the new road (the owner said he should be done the new road shortly and it will reach almost to the fence! hope this all makes sense as i lost the map the guy drew for me..... sorry!

1597980119_Cruise2006067small.jpg.f387f9ce2b52001da01b0bf20599c7c6.jpg

556163666_Cruise2006068small.jpg.06d4a050b7eb0d846f6ef625edd91936.jpg

I have visited Costa Maya twice know and loved it. Have not gone over to the OTHER SIDE yet. We do have two future cruises booked that will stop there as well. I think this whole thing is BS about keeping passenger out or making it hard to get to a place that is right there.

If the owner is welcoming cruise passengers to his resort area, but not wanting them to use the hole in the fence system then what is the recommended method? Will the cabs at the terminal take you there?

Who is really to blame for this whole issue? The land owners or the cruise lines? I believe in the early days the wall was not there.

Another big thank you to the folks that posted directions!

We were there on April 26th! The Cha Chi resort is beautiful!!

Very easy to get to and we convinced another couple we found wandering around outside of the tourist village to "go through the fence" with us!! When we were there, the "hole in the fence" was still there but someone had knocked a big piece of fence over that was just past the "hole". Much easier to navigate. Once inside we walked a bit, then came to a fork in the road. Both roads had yellow paint on the trees so we just went straight ahead and it brought us to an open gate.

The people there were very friendly. Beer was cold and food was good. We spent about $25 for 4 Coronas, 2 sodas, chicken frajitas and 2 orders of cheese quesadillas. I think beers were $3 @ and sodas were $2 @. My daughter and I had a great time looking for Hermit crabs out in the little tidal pools.

We could only stay for a short while for the same reason as BlackRcode. We got back from David and Ivan's tour a bit late. I wish we'd been able to spend more time there.

Now I have to figure out how to post my pictures.:p

http://www.pbase.com/riviezzo/cha_chi_resort_costa_maya_mexico

Hopefully this link works. My daughter reminded me to tell you about the coconuts. The gentleman wacks a hole in one and puts a straw in it for you so you can drink the coconut milk:) .

The link works fine and thanks for the great pictures, we are looking forward to going there in June.

John

This whole thing is beginning to have a bidirectional smell.

I've seen it reported that an American owns the pier and now Fabio?

The pier seems to be owned by Promociones Turisticas Mahahual. The same guy who built it, built a pier in Cozumel and later sold it to Carnival. Kind of makes me suspicious about how well this one is built, but that's another story.

Anyway, here is a link to an article..

http://www.latintrade.com/dynamic/index.php?pg=site_en/pastissues/Aug04/etravel1.html

http://www.pbase.com/riviezzo/cha_chi_resort_costa_maya_mexico

Hopefully this link works. My daughter reminded me to tell you about the coconuts. The gentleman wacks a hole in one and puts a straw in it for you so you can drink the coconut milk:) .

The pictures are terrific!

We will be there on June 27, and can't wait to go through the hole....we will also be doing the David and Ivan tour, but we dock at 730am, and are the only ship in port that day. Hopefully, our tour will end early enough to enjoy Chac-Chi!

I'll be ther Monday...May the 15th...

Only ship in port that day according to cruisecal....I will definitely be hitting up Chac Chi! Thanks a ton for the many great photos!

How about going around the end of the wall near the ocean and pier? Looks like you could jump down into the water from the pictures. Or is there no access or too high up?

It's not really doable, especially the ladies wouldn't want to try it. The toughest part is actually where the railing meets the cement wall, there are large concrete blocks at sharp angles there, hard to climb down w/o losing some skin. More blocks where the wall meets the sea, a pretty tough climb.

-Bob

It's not really doable, especially the ladies wouldn't want to try it. The toughest part is actually where the railing meets the cement wall, there are large concrete blocks at sharp angles there, hard to climb down w/o losing some skin. More blocks where the wall meets the sea, a pretty tough climb.

-Bob

Thanks Bob. I was actually wondering the same thing. Pictures sure can be deceiving!:)

I was there Monday May 17. Me & my mother went solo to find the hole, but we were almost scared off by the guards at the drawgate. We almost got suckered into a $50 ride to tequila beach, but we really wanted to goto chac-chi. The "local" (who seemed to have a plain american accent & spoke perfect englich) that was selling the excursion @ the port gave us the run around saying that HE can't even get there because there are now "3 fences" blocking the path. Excuse my french, but it's pure BS!

We declined his offer & attempted the trip. Stopping at the gate and saying "Chac-Chi" to the guard...he said "Si" and pointed down the road towards the cabs. The first intersection we cut a right when we saw the comasitro(sp?), and a hole in a fence directly ahead where some local construction workers were standing around and digging. We attempted to ask them, but couldn't understand their spanish. We then turned back, fearing the locals may try to rob us or something (who knows?). We looked for another hole, but couldn't find it so we walked on getting a glimpse of the path through the trees. By the time we hit the corner, we decided to try again. We turned around and walked up to a girl by the commisary. As we approached her, an older guy who had been watching us called us over..."Senor"...I said Chac-Chi and he pointed directly across the road. There was a hole. Previously blocked out of view by an SUV. That was the path. It seemed a bit rough @ first, but after 8-10 feet into the woods you hit the cleared path. You do have to go through 3 fences....but they are all fairly simple to get through. Don't be scared.

The path as they have described before leads to a beautiful beachfront. We were the only ship in port that day & ended up being the only ones at Chac-Chi. It was great, the owners were very nice, and their prices were outstanding! We saved at least $60 that day...Plus the massive amounts of coral & sealife you can find on the rocks is worth it all....It was the highlight of my trip. I highly recommend it. $3 fine tequila shots. $2 beers. Great food & wonderful people.

I hope this helps describe the current conditions better. I am in no way a writing scholar so please ignore my horrible grammar. ;P

I am definetly going to go to Cha Chi and I bet I can get my other cruise critic friends on the roll call to go with us.

I have booked excurions on my other 3 ports, but for Costa Maya I plan on spending a nice day at the beach and doing some great snorkeling offshore at Cha Chi. Id rather spend my $$ at Cha Chi. Its a shame he got shut out by the big guys and he has an ideal location.

Ill be there in July. Ill definetly leave a report.

I was really wanting to snorkel @ Chac-chi, but it just wasn't possible. When we were there, the seas were fairly rough. Huge (sometimes 4-6') breakers crashing onto the rocks & churning up the sand in the lagoon area. It still made for some wonderful photos (I hope, getting them developed this eve). And the rest of the beach is nice enough to enjoy without stepping foot into the water. I am sure the waves vary from day to day, and I hope you get there on a day with calm seas. The snorkeling has to be great there,

I just wasn't brave enough to risk the possible undertow, or waves slamming me into the rocks, so I avoided the water for the most part. Seeing all the marine life on the rocks & tidal pools was beautiful enough to suffice my tempation to snorkel. We saw many types of crab, billions of scallops & mussel, a few fish, and even some sea urchins.

I wish you the best of luck on your venture to Chac-Chi...it is a great place with wonderful & friendly owners (one even speaks good english!). Just be sure to keep looking for the hole directly across from the commisary, it's tough to spot at first, but it is there!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to the Cha Chi resort lately????

Do not get this place mixed up with the pier area and pool..

This is the resort to the right of the pier as your walking off the ship.

Anyone???

Ill be there in a month.

Archived