Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

Go let me know what you think. Hey, since you are going tomorrow you will have to get the prices for drinks for everyone. I wasn't able to go through the fence. We didn't have the time (sunlight) we got into port late.

Have a great time. Don't get taken with buying cheap silver in the village.

Go let me know what you think. Hey, since you are going tomorrow you will have to get the prices for drinks for everyone. I wasn't able to go through the fence. We didn't have the time (sunlight) we got into port late.

Have a great time. Don't get taken with buying cheap silver in the village.

SportsGal,

Just got back and read your post...sorry, didn't break down the prices for drinks; we had a couple of lobster dinners, a couple of shrimp platters, a couple of burrito platters and appetizers as well as a wide variety of drinks all for $135.00. The lobster was AWESOME!

I'm uploading 68 photos now. Here's the link More photos will be uploaded later.

Great PICS Paul! That is the first picture I have seen posted of anyone actually going through the hole in the fence. The lobsters and Coronas looked great.......... I look forward to going there in June. There is just something about going through that fence and helping the owner in his struggle against the guy who tried to block his business with that wall that makes it more intriguing.

Hope you ejoy the rest of your cruise!

John

Ok Gal, you're our DD .... designated drinker! I dunno if that ship is ready for ya :-) Gawd the drink glasses were small, I ordered a Black Russian and it came in a glass a bit bigger than a shooter, that was the last one, back to cabin booze.

Nole: thx for posting the message .. that's weird that the cabs don't want to do the trip ... I'm wondering if it's b/c there is little chance of getting a return fare ... too many just use the path. You'd think they'd just jack up the fare to make up for it. I can't imagine the cruise lines being able to put pressure on the cabbies to say no, although they'd like to I'm sure.

-Bob

Bob, when you were at Pez Quadros in Majahual were you told not to swim out to far b/c of sharks and barracudas? My cousin just returned from her Honeymoon where they stoped at Costa Maya - they were told not to swim out b/c of the sharks and barracudas (which they were able to see) they said they were all over.

My family and I went through the fence and had a great time on the 12th of April. The crewmembers go there on their time off. We had our picture taken by a crewmember whose identity I will protect.;) It was a great time!

GO THROUGH THE FENCE!

Thanks for the GREAT tip!!!! I was wondering what we could do in Costa Maya, and "sneaking" throught a hole in a fence in a foreign country will definately appeal to uym DH's wild side!!!

I'm going to post a link to this thread on my roll call right now.

Thanks Again everyone!!

ok...let's see....

~get off the ship

~walk down the pier

~go right (?)

~around the yellow roundabout (is it a fountain?) to the right?

~go past the Comisrato (sp) (white w/red letters)

~enter hole in wire fence

~follow path to little gate with Cach Chi sign (as seen in PaulM's photos...thanks PaulM!)

~continue till you find the beer & lounge chairs

~to return....do this in reverse order (except for the beers....)

Do I have it right?

Wife and Somewhere: the yellow roundabout is out where the buses and taxis are, past the shops. To get there stay to the right as you walk through the shops. Then walk around the roundabout and down the road to the first intersection. Turn right there, and go past the white Comisariato building to the gate at the end of the road. There will be other people walking this too. Pull up the right side of the wire gate to get through, then walk straight ahead through the sandy lot to the trees, then turn right and walk down the 2 lane path to the resort. I posted some shots a few pages back, one is the Comisariato road. It's any easy 8 minute walk from the roundabout. Beers are $3, mixed drinks $5, soda $1. Lovely beach. Wave to the cruisers walking up the pier, they'll be wondering how you got there with the big concrete wall up.

-Bob

Paul! Great Shots of Cha Chi. I loved the pic of all of you going through the fence..WTG! Those lobsters looked great,,yum!

I plan on going through the fence too and hanging out. Did any of you snorkel? If you did, how was it? Ill be there in July and I cant wait.

I was thinking of going to Cha Chi..hang out, swim, eat, drink and be merry then go to that fishing village just to check out the locals.

Starz723,

We didn't snorkel, but I did swim underwater quite a bit and snorkeling would be real good. The rock formation that goes out from the beach would be good to snorkel around and down the beach. I saw a lot of fish and underwater features that would look better snorkeling.

Bob, when you were at Pez Quadros in Majahual were you told not to swim out to far b/c of sharks and barracudas? My cousin just returned from her Honeymoon where they stoped at Costa Maya - they were told not to swim out b/c of the sharks and barracudas (which they were able to see) they said they were all over.

I guess I'm lucky to be alive b/c we didn't go in the water, I didn't want to put my beer down :-( but I haven't heard other reports of that problem. When we were snorkeling the Gamma wreck in Cayman that week a 2-3 foot baracuda was shadowing us for a bit and then he wandered off. When you go to CM, how about you take a nice swim out there and check it out, and if you come back in one piece we'll know it's ok? I'll guard yer beer while yer gone.

-Bob

your pix are fantastic!!!!!!!

we will absolutely be going through june 27!!

I'm doing the Ivan tour, which will be back around 1230. Husband and son are going to Pez Quadro and Cat's meow and will me meet me when I return.

we will then all 3 climb through the fence to chac-chi for the rest of the pm.

ship pulls out at 530. Hopefully, no afternoon thunder storms!

thanks again for sharing the photos!!!!

you have a lovely family!!

I know others have posted about the hole in the fence and I was worried about my group of 13 going through a hole in the fence. I googled chac-chi found a web site and sent an e-mail to their contact address. The next day I had a reply from Joaquín. So here it is hope it makes you feel comfortable as I am about going.

The easiest way to get in is by walking. You have to walk outside the

cruise plaza and take the first turn right. There is a a building called

"comisariato" is were local workers go to eat. There is a fence that has a

sign that says "Private Property Do not enter" don't listen to the sign

there is a hole in the fence to the right pass thought it. Continue walking

and to the right you will find a road in the jungle walk in that road and

you will get to the resort. There is no problem to pass by the fence.

We have restaunt service that serves seafood and mexican food.

We have beach chairs were you can sit or sleep and enjoy all day long. We

also have a basketball, volleyball and soccer courts that are at your

disposal.

It is a good spot if you want to go snorkeling they are several coral

formations near by.

We look forward meeting you in july

Joaquín R.

Can anyone tell me if the path will accomadate a wheelchair for DS5?? He will be able to swim and play, just can't walk long distances. TIA!!

welovetocruise1234,

The begining of the path near the hole in the fence would be tight and there's a couple of obstacles in the path near the fence that may prove difficult. The actual road to the resort is rather rough with areas that would be rough going; if my five year old were confined to a wheelchair, I'd take him through.

You do need to be aware that the path after you go through the hole is narrow and doesn't smell particularly well. I would describe the resort as 'rustic' or 'primitive' in comparison to most resort areas, but it's exactly what I expected it would be and we enjoyed our time there very much. :)

Here are a few pics from our visit to Chac-Chi last month. Looking at the pictures again reminds me that this place is just a little slice of paradise.

Chac-Chi1.jpg

Chac-Chi beach area

Chac-Chi2.jpg

Picture of pier from beach

Chac-Chi5.jpg

John: Buy 1 Get 1 Free

chac-chi6.jpg

The cruise ships are really right there!

settingsail.jpg

Sadly setting sail away from Chac-Chi

Check it out for yourselves and have a great time! We can't wait to go back!

I am so glad that this place has managed to hold on and perhaps beginning to thrive. It was totally deserted when we were in Costa Maya a little over a year ago. It really looked very inviting and I would have been one of those going through the hole in the fence if that had been possible.

Go Mexican commerce!

Su

Guess what y'all, there are 2 holes in the fence, 2 routes to the Chac-Chi Resort. Paul's shot #2551 of the hole he used is different than the one through the gate past the Comisariato that we used. Paul where was yours, up the road past the roundabout? We walked right by there and didn't see anything. Ours was smooth walking, and not smelly, apparently the deluxe route :-)

-Bob

Paul: Love the pictures! It looks like you guys had a blast! Had an up close and personal with the giant iquana by the cement blocks after we first entered the path. Couldn't get a picture on the way back through though- no doubt due to all the screaming on the way in!

Thanks for sharing!

Guess what y'all, there are 2 holes in the fence, 2 routes to the Chac-Chi Resort. Paul's shot #2551 of the hole he used is different than the one through the gate past the Comisariato that we used. Paul where was yours, up the road past the roundabout? We walked right by there and didn't see anything. Ours was smooth walking, and not smelly, apparently the deluxe route :-)

-Bob

Bob,

We left the pier shop area to the right under the tower then turned right at the yellow roundabout and went through the security gates and turned right again then through the hole. I just added nine more photos of the route to Chac-Chi at the end of the album; they don't show the route in any more detail, but may help to familiarize folks with what to expect on the way in. :)

Bob,

We left the pier shop area to the right under the tower then turned right at the yellow roundabout and went through the security gates and turned right again then through the hole. I just added nine more photos of the route to Chac-Chi at the end of the album; they don't show the route in any more detail, but may help to familiarize folks with what to expect on the way in. :)

Then your hole is partway down the Comisariato road. Cars were parked there when we went by down to the gate, so we wouldn't have seen it. Nice for ppl to know there are 2, in case the cruise lines try closing them up.

Hey you should title your webshots and write a little description ... if you started now you'd have 'em all done in 6 months :-)

-Bob

Archived