Travel concerns - Middle East - Advice Needed

StephenNJ

I am scheduled to leave on a cruise out of Dubai (UAE) on Saturday.  I am well traveled, having been to 52 countries.  My 17 year old son is going with me.  Two people have come to me in the last day and told me not to go.  One (a female friend) used to live in Syria and the other (a male coworker) is Ukrainian.  My cruise also goes to Abu Dhabi, Doha (Qatar), Manama (Bahrain) and Muscat (Oman).  I don't want to stoke any fears, and I know there are no guarantees in life.  I'm looking for some reassurance as to why I shouldn't worry OR some sincere advice not to go.  Please help!  I'm emotionally drained thinking about this.  Any recent cruisers have feedback about the current situation with cruising in the middle east?  Thanks in advance for your help!

We fly out to Dubai on Sunday doing the same itinerary with RCI on Jewel.

Never had any intention of cancelling.

Passengers on a recent sailing state there is absolutely no more security than any other cruise taken and the Captain has made no speech about any concerns that he or the cruise line may have. Business as usual!

There are at least five cruise ships operating normally in the area.

This thread has comments from recent cruisers on Jewel of the Seas, currently in the Gulf

My advice? Don't throw your money away by cancelling. 

Apart from the poor weather that has recently hit the region (which is now improving) I see no reason not to go. Really looking forward to it.

Edited by icsys
  • Like 1

Dito, I lived in the ME for 13 years until 2 years ago. (Now in Bangkok)

I was in Bahrain during Gulf War 2 and the Arab Spring uprising.

The latter was a bit uncomfortable, but nothing that would want you to run for cover.

The CURRENT situation is nowhere near as bad.

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are essentially the same country (UAE) and there will be a lot of security around,  but you will not see or notice them.

I can't speak about Qatar. Only know the airport there.

Bahrain is small, with all the bits of interest to a tourist concentrated in 2 areas. It is pretty much the party country of the region, with Saudis and Kuwaitis descending on Manama like locusts every weekend.

Oman is very quiet and subdued at the moment because their Sultan died a week ago.

Furthermore, there are unprecedented heavy RAINS at the moment in Oman.

There is a lot if flooding, with parts of roads and even houses washed away.

Yesterday, RIVERS of water were flowing through the Souq at the port.

Any excursions may be amended or even cancelled 

In a nut shell, from a security point of view, all thise places are safer than any big city in the USA .

Go and enjoy and experience the hospitality and culture. And respect the customs and traditions

Edited by buchhalm
Clarified weather information

5 hours ago, StephenNJ said:

I am scheduled to leave on a cruise out of Dubai (UAE) on Saturday.  I am well traveled, having been to 52 countries.  My 17 year old son is going with me.  Two people have come to me in the last day and told me not to go.  One (a female friend) used to live in Syria and the other (a male coworker) is Ukrainian.  My cruise also goes to Abu Dhabi, Doha (Qatar), Manama (Bahrain) and Muscat (Oman).  I don't want to stoke any fears, and I know there are no guarantees in life.  I'm looking for some reassurance as to why I shouldn't worry OR some sincere advice not to go.  Please help!  I'm emotionally drained thinking about this.  Any recent cruisers have feedback about the current situation with cruising in the middle east?  Thanks in advance for your help!

I've been in Dubai since last November for my winter getaway.

I've been on two back to back cruises, with MSC from the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Oman, spanning from December 11 - December 29.  My third Persian Gulf cruise starts this Saturday January 18th on MSC.  I've been to all the ports of call from Oman to Bahrain, and there has not been any problems whatsoever.

There are other posted threads under the middle east/africa thread stating the same.

The only activity visibly noticeable in this entire region lately was the mourning of the passing of the ruler of Oman and the history making flooding in Dubai from major rains several days ago.  That's over, and things are back to normal.

I'm a world traveler too, and I actually feel safer here and on a ship than in the U.S.

It's business as usual here in Dubai, and elsewhere in the cities on your itinerary.  You and your son will be missing out on an opportunity to see this part of the world, all on a cruise ship.  

You won't find anyone that is either here currently, or has been here recently on ship or land that will tell you otherwise, so get to packing and enjoy your trip! 😊

And if you stay in Dubai before or after your cruise, the annual shopping festival is still going on through Feb 1st, and celebratory fireworks on Friday and Saturdays.

Screenshot_2020-01-03-12-32-07.png

Edited by Skoobdo
  • Like 1

I’ve been a resident of the UAE for a very long time.   Skoobdo summed up the current situation perfectly.   The recent torrential rains and subsequent flooding, etc. has caused way more inconvenience that anything ‘political’ has, or is likely to..... Enjoy your holiday..

Anne...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StephenNJ said:

Just go,if you were worried every time something kicked off you would never leave your home

Were you concerned before your co workers spoke to you?  If not, then go.  Of course, under the circumstances they have personal and emotional reasons to offer caution.  Your Foreign travel advisory has dropped UAE back to level 1 risk.  France is still sitting with level 2.  

However, you are the only one who can put a cost to peace of mind.  If you are going to worry all the trip, then cancel if you wish.  You won't get much back from your financial investment, but it would be worth it if you are going to be miserable the entire time.

Since posting this, you will see RCI is closely monitoring and making adjustments when they feel it prudent.  They are looking out for you.

If you decide to go, your 17 year old will ove Dubai.  It is prepping for the World Expo in November 2020 so lots of building, new activities.  Look at what Global Village Dubai is offering.  They have concerts going on many Friday nights.  There is the Magic Garden - a little child oriented, but it is a night show of lights.  Given the culture and climate, there are plenty to do at night when it is cooler, and they are so family oriented there are things to do for everyone.

I hope after a chance to sleep on it, you decide to continue with your plans, but if not, then you have made the choice that works for you.